XR400 shifting problems. Help!!!

My 97' XR400 started having shifting problems recently. Took a few times banging up the lever to get into gear. Then it stopped shifting into gear all times. Shift lever, clutch (plates etc) looked good. I took off the right case and was able to peek into the shift spindle and drum. On the shift spindle the "Wrench looking thing" wasn't springing back after I manually moved it. So I believe the problem is with the Reset Spring. I can see the spring but can't tell if it is in place properly. My question is: Is there a fix for this without splitting the case? Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave that would be hard to tell without looking at it first,but you may be able to .

Dave:

The exact same thing happened to my '97 XR400 about 6 weeks ago. I had to limp 3 miles out of the woods in 1st without ability to upshift. Interesting that yours is a '97 also.

I did tear mine down completely and it was, indeed, the tiny reset spring. I did not search for a way to replace it without splitting the cases because I wasn't sure of the problem. Afterwards it was very clear. However, in retrospect, I can't image how it could be replaced without spltting cases.

I ended up replacing the entire reset spring/return spring/spindle shaft assembly. My local Honda shop techs said the original '97 XR400 reset spring/return spring/spindle shaft combo was found to be very weak and the replacement employed a beefier alloy. Anyhow, I bit the bullet and replaced the entire assembly at a cost of about $135.

But it turned out to be an even larger project cause I had to buy a special tool to remove the flywheel, B Kit gasket set, and I went ahead and replaced stock piston with a good forged Wiseco kit (which I strongly recommend, by the way, especially if your bike smokes a bit on startup as mine did). Plus the swingarm pivot bolt was frozen in place so I had to DRILL that sorry son of gun out to get the engine out of the frame, etc. All in all, turned out to be a monster job (I went ahead and rebuilt the forks while I had her down) that ended up costing me more than $500 when all the financial dust settled.

If you can figure out how to replace this $3 (or $500) spring without tearing the engine down, man, I'd sure love to hear it in case I have to do it again.

Best of luck

Jerry