Sign in to follow this  

82 XR 250R smoking like a chimney!!!

I just finished tearing apart my old XR and I cleaned up everything, like new and I had to put in a new camshaft and rocker arms. Actually, I had them refilled or hard face welded, or whatever that is, only because the parts were not available in the country that I am living in. Anyway, the inside and outside of the motor and the rest of the bike looks perfect, now, spotless, all painted and I just finally put it all back together, again. This old tank has sat in the garage for over 4 years and I finally decided to fix it up. I cranked it up, today (started on the 3rd kick) and everything is running smooth, now, except it is smoking extremely bad and when I put my hand over the end of the muffler it sprays out oil. I am sure that I need new rings and/or possibly valve seals, as well. I would have replaced them when I had the engine all apart, but, as I said, here in Costa Rica, it is very hard to find parts, especially for older motorcycles. What do all you experts out there think I should do? Fortunately, I can have a friend bring me these parts from the U.S. when he visits me in a couple of weeks. I know that the cylinder and piston and everything else is fine. I cleaned up the rings, but, maybe they were still too worn out to work, again and I do not have a way to measure the gaps. I did not do a valve job, but, I will do that now. I adjusted the valves and had a motorcycle mechanic friend double check them, for me. I also, put in fresh, clean, Penzoil 20w50, synthetic, because that is the best I could find in the little shop here in my area. Many say synthetic and many say regular, so I am not sure about my choice with oil. Any suggestings on fixing this smoking problem? The smoke is white or grey and it is not blue or black.

I'd say you need to do a cylinder bore and hone, a new piston and rings, have the head and valves cleaned up, install new valve seals, and put it back together. Quite possibly, you can ship the cylinder and head to your friend, have the work done here in the States, and he can bring it back to you in a couple of weeks.