Oil filters and changing the oil.

I just bought a brand new '05 CRF450. So far its love. I put 2 hours on it and just changed the oil today. I was wondering if anyone out there has advice on how often to change the oil? I have been getting conflicting advice from people on how often to change the oil in the transmission and in the engine. The manual says nothing.

Also, has anyone bought stainless steel oil filters. I had some for my last bike (a KTM 450) and they worked great. Would like to know if there are any recomendations for who to buy them from.

Thanks.

I would change the oil every two rides and the oil filter every other oil change.

I would change the oil every two rides and the oil filter every other oil change.

Same here. Scotts makes a great stainless filter.

Yup, but I use these filters.

Why doesnt anyone folow the manual(myslef included)? the manual saya to change engine oil every 15 hours. It also says to change the piston every 15hours. Everyone on TT changes the oil every two hours and then doesnt change a piston fo 50 + what givbes? Anyone have an opinion as to why Honda says to change oil at 15?

I do oil changes every 15 hours along with valve checks.

I change the oil in my '426 every other week when racing MX, filter every 3rd oil change, and have NEVER, EVER checked my valves, piston, rings, cam chain, sprocket, etc. I love my bike.

I change both oils every 4-5 hours and use HiFlo HF-115 filters from Ebay. I think I paid $20 for 7 and that included shipping. Took a while to get them but the price is right. :naughty:

wo piston every 15hrs what am i missing i change my oil every ride we usually do an all dayer my gear case is every two rides filter is every two also hay and thanks for that link

Why doesnt anyone folow the manual(myslef included)? the manual saya to change engine oil every 15 hours. It also says to change the piston every 15hours. Everyone on TT changes the oil every two hours and then doesnt change a piston fo 50 + what givbes?

LOL, that's the truth

What type of piston do they suggest?