Silencer Repacking questions

Hey guys, I am repacking my stock silencer tomorrow for the 1st time and am wondering if anyone can tell me which end do i drill the rivets out on the silencer, the one by the end cap or the one closer to the engine?Any other info would help, and can i keep it attatched to do the procedure or do you need to remove the silencer off the bike?

Drill out the end closest to the engine.

Let me chime in here. I am fixing to repack my stock 450 pipe. I see that I need to drill the rivets out at the front of the pipe. Do you just use that sheet type fiber and wrap it around the baffle or is there a special type of packing for a four stroke pipe? Do I have to put rivets back into the pipe or will sheet metal screws do the trick?

you defiantly need to put rivets back in and do not use sheet metal screws.

Let me chime in here. I am fixing to repack my stock 450 pipe. I see that I need to drill the rivets out at the front of the pipe. Do you just use that sheet type fiber and wrap it around the baffle or is there a special type of packing for a four stroke pipe? Do I have to put rivets back into the pipe or will sheet metal screws do the trick?

fmf makes some fiberglass sheet stuff special for four-strokes, but big gun ,makes some really good stuff :naughty:

i used the fmf stuff on my bike, here's atip, if the whole sheet of packing doesn't seem like it will fit, don't cut it, wrap every inch of it in electrical tape tight to make it smaller, then it should slide right in. and go buy some rivets when you put it back together.

I know that Sunruh is shaking his head at another muffler packing question but...It was said in the previous posts not to use sheet metal screws. Why?? I have been using screws for years because I have a sparkarrester end cap that I need to swap out from time to time. Never had a problem. Don't strip them out and use silicone seal. Also, if you are trying to pack the stuff tight then why not take off the end cap and use some sort of stuffing material and stuff it tight rather than taking the other end off and rapping then putting it back in??Do you want it tite? I don't know. So if we want it tite then stuffing would be the way to do it so what material do we use. I have heard stainless steel wool. Where do you get it? And since this whole debate revolves around noise does tite packing decrease or increase noise and or hurt/help performance.

Just use some old fiberglass insulation and some duct take to put 'er back together. :naughty:

MSR's silent sport packing, packed loosely will make it the quietest you can get it.

:D What ever you do DO NOT on a hot summer evening after having a few (too many)cold beers, "wearing shorts", sit and pack your muff on your lap.

You'll wake in the morning with a hang over and your legs :naughty: will be full of fiberglass. YYYYYYYYYYYEEEOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Not that I ever did this! :naughty::D:D

That same warning could be held for a couple of girls I knew too. :naughty:

I wouldn't recommend the fiberglass insulation, you'll just burn it out in a few rides. I've had good luck with FMF silencer packing designed for 4-strokes. When I repack my muffler, I drill out the rivets at the end cap and then wrap the muffler packing with masking tape.