zero'd out intakes, couple of questions

Hey all, recently the intake valves zeroed out on my 05' X, or are very close to it, my .0015 wouldn't fit. I am almost 100% positive that it was caused from my air filter not sealing and it sucking dust in through the intake. My question is can i reshim them after they have gone to zero? I've heard that the seats may be messed up now, but i really have no idea. Since they zeroed i guess that it's time for a valve job, i am wanting to go SS, but it seems like nobody has enough time on them to prove them reliable yet. I would say my bike has close to 30 or so hours on it and I'm a maintanace freak. I change the oil every 150 miles and i run synthetic/petroleum blend in it. How many people have SS valves and how do they seem to be holding up? Have you had to shim them after the initial break in? Also, could you plz give me some links to different SS valves, sorry for all the questions, thanks very much for any help.

Chris

Shim it and then order new valves as the shimming is only a fast bandaide at that point. Once they move that far the end is near.

I am almost 100% positive that it was caused from my air filter not sealing and it sucking dust in through the intake.

Man, that sucks. I agree with TJ; if they've gone to zero, shimming is definitely a short term solution. Get whatever valves you choose on order (I'll probably go OEM at least the first time around). BTW, can you clarify the air filter problem so others can avoid it?

Well, the whole thing is my fault. I went up to Land between the lakes a couple weeks ago and it was extremely dusty there. The last time i had the airfilter out to clean it i lost the bolt that holds it to the boot and i had been running it w/o it here in TN since its been so wet lately i didn't think it would hurt it until i got a new one. So we got there and i had forgotten that i didn't have a bolt on it and went riding, then that night i was cleaning the filter and though o crap i dint have that bolt. So to make a long story short i really wanted to ride the next day and went against everything i was telling myself not to do and i ended up paying for it, $4 turned into how ever much it's gonna cost to fix it. So just don't be stupid like me and i think you'll be OK. Anybody got any idea how much this is going to cost me?

Chris

Chris

Bad luck dude. We all had those moments one time or another.

Goodluck on the repairs

Mike

So to make a long story short i really wanted to ride the next day and went against everything i was telling myself not to do and i ended up paying for it, $4 turned into how ever much it's gonna cost to fix it. So just don't be stupid like me and i think you'll be OK. Anybody got any idea how much this is going to cost me?

Impatience has cost me a lot of $$ over the years, so I relate. I did a cost breakdown a while back and found that new intake valves and springs cost about $95 total through Service Honda. You can use the new Service Honda parts finder to get all the part numbers and price it out. Throw in seals and a head gasket and parts should be under $150 for the intake valves, assuming there's no other damage. Add a seat resurfacing and I expect you could run up a $200-$250 total bill??

BTW, do you have a record of valve clearance measurements before the 30 hour mark? I guess I'd like to know whether the valves were in spec until the missing air filter bolt, then suddenly went out of spec.

thnx for the price estimate. Yes before we left on the trip i shimmed my intakes, they were at .004 for the left and .003 for the right prior to being shimmed. I then shimmed them out to .005 and .006, so they were in spec. This was the first time i had shimmed them, i believe they were set a little tight from the factory, they didn't move after break in. I dropped a shim down the cam chain tower and i can't for the life of me get it out. I went in with a little magnetic tool trying to grab it but i couldn't find it, even after i took of the fly wheel cover (dont know wat'd u call it, the side of the motor). After that i broke a little piece of the case off and im praying that it doesn't hurt anything, it looked like a kind of guide that went next to the cam chain tensioner behind the flywheel. Wow everything seems to be going down hill for me...

Chris

Hey Chris. What part of Tennessee are your from?

I just put SS valves in mine and can talk you through possible

solutions. PM me and I'll give you my #.

I dropped a shim down the cam chain tower and i can't for the life of me get it out. I went in with a little magnetic tool trying to grab it but i couldn't find it, even after i took of the fly wheel cover (dont know wat'd u call it, the side of the motor). After that i broke a little piece of the case off and im praying that it doesn't hurt anything, it looked like a kind of guide that went next to the cam chain tensioner behind the flywheel.

I think I'd find and remove those parts before you have a really catastrophic ($$$$$) problem.

Yes, theres no way im going to put it back together w/o getting that shim out, alreay got the broken peice out. Hey angrytim, im from Franklin, thnx for the offer. If worse comes to worse and i end up needing to replace the valves/spring i'll give you a ring.

Chris