2002 xr250r .... how to give it more mx suspension?

ok, what about a guy 190 lbs with a 2002 xr250 wishing he had a crf250x?

What can (or should) I do to get better perfrormance from my suspension for some track mx use while also allowing trail use. I've ridden my friends kx125, yz125 and cr125 ..... I love the way those bikes handle. Should I sell my bike to buy a cr125 or keep it as is and buy a beater mx bike, or can I upgrade the shock and fork springs to get a more mx like ride? I am 6'1" 190 intermediate rider with mostly trail experience. According to my research online, the crf250x is the perfect bike for me, but it is $$$$.

What do I do? I don't want to spend $800 on susension and fork/steering upgrade only to get a somewhat better ride. My bike sags like an old lady with me on it. (I have the sag at 4" as recommended. What do I do?????!!!!!!

The XR2.5 is a woods weapon.

Not intended for the fenced-in track.

Jumping the XR will result in a cracked subframe.

You can improve the suspension for better performance when using it for its intended purpose, however, it'll never be a track bike. You can run it on the track, just be aware of the consequences.

Save your money, you'ld love the CRFR's.

ok, what about a guy 190 lbs with a 2002 xr250 wishing he had a crf250x?

What can (or should) I do to get better perfrormance from my suspension for some track mx use while also allowing trail use. I've ridden my friends kx125, yz125 and cr125 ..... I love the way those bikes handle. Should I sell my bike to buy a cr125 or keep it as is and buy a beater mx bike, or can I upgrade the shock and fork springs to get a more mx like ride? I am 6'1" 190 intermediate rider with mostly trail experience. According to my research online, the crf250x is the perfect bike for me, but it is $$$$.

What do I do? I don't want to spend $800 on susension and fork/steering upgrade only to get a somewhat better ride. My bike sags like an old lady with me on it. (I have the sag at 4" as recommended. What do I do?????!!!!!!

You're a pretty big guy for an XR250 without some mods. The 250 is undersrpung in the front and oversprung in the rear. You can get a better ride with some heavier springs in the front. Your bike shouldn't sag like an old lady at your weight. 4" of sag is too much. It should be set at about 3.5" with you on the bike and all your gear.

Burke is right about the intended use of the bike. I ride mine on a track as a last resort for a winter fix. It handles vintage track obstacles just fine but a more pro level track bike it is not. I'm surprised you are not looking at a CR250; cheap and potent.

The 250 is undersrpung in the front and oversprung in the rear.

i weigh 200# and just over 6ft, i run stock springs on front and rear but had WER to the suspension (revalving) , they added some trick parts and it it sits 1" higher than stock , there is 2 ways to deal with suspension ,springs and or hydraulics, with proper valving you can make the bike do what you want , the frame on the Xr is a bit whimpy but its not a pure race bike either.

stu