Dirt Riders 450 off-road shoot out

Just picked it up and haven't had time to read much of it yet.

8 450's and one overall winner - Will KTM still be on top OR will some other brand step up and dethron her?? There are lots of cool bikes in this shoot off

Gas Gas

CRF 450 X

New WR

KTM

Husaberg

Sherco

TM

Husky

Life just keeps getting better for us dirt bikers - so much to choose from these days!! :naughty:

A riding buddy of mine - Leo - road the Husaberg during the 24 hour shoot out - the guy in the middle of the picture - he rides a KTM 525 - and he REALLY liked the Husaberg!!

ride on

dp :naughty:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to ride a 450X last weekend. Nice bike, but I still not as good as a KTM. doesn't feel as heavy as it looks, but carries it's weight a little higher than an EXC. Some of those other bikes would be fun to ride too. Like you said, lots of choices out there. Gonna be a right bike for everybody. :naughty:

Very good write ups...I really enoyed reading it all.........still haven't digested everything. mostly they tended away from Honda is everything type comments.

the word I had on husaberg was parts seem to break more then other bikes, they don't mention that.

The Huskie must not have won. I don't see a new post saying WOOOHOOO Huskie wins the shootout, huskie wins the shootout!!!!!! :naughty:?

:D?:D:D:D:D:busted::busted::busted::mad::mad::mad:

KTM All the way baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :naughty:

I know .........big surprise..........NOT :D

The interesting thing was there were 8 guys rating the bikes - each got to pick there three favorites - only 4 bikes out of the 8 bikes made it out of 24 chances to be picked = 8 (riders) x 3 (votes) = 24 chances to be picked at least 3rd choice.

Those bikes were

KTM

Honda

Yamaha

Husaberg

KTM keeps proving they make the best off-road bikes .

Ya really got to hand it to a small Co. like KTM to stay on top when the big guys like Honda and Yamaha try there best to knock them off the top.

Next year KTM comes out with a all new motor -

RIGHT ON KTM........YOU ARE THE BOMB

DP :D:D?:D

Cool DOHC, ripper of a motor. I cant wait to ride one. Ive heard a silly thing about Yamaha doing something different with the 450 motor in 06. One of those rumors that prolly isnt true but who knows? Its almost 9 years old in design...... :naughty:

They claim that all the bikes had to register under 96 decibles. I dont understand how the WR could pass when they removed the baffle?

Also all the bikes are apparently stock, yet they did the free mods to the WR in order for it to do as well as it did. I think they should have tested all of them showroom stock.

They claim that all the bikes had to register under 96 decibles. I dont understand how the WR could pass when they removed the baffle?

Also all the bikes are apparently stock, yet they did the free mods to the WR in order for it to do as well as it did. I think they should have tested all of them showroom stock.

Word is that the 05 WR has two baffles, and is still under 96db, and runs good, with the first baffle removed. :naughty:

I don't have a problem with them doing minor mods that just about any owner would do, jetting, suspension adjustments, etc, but that's it. I remember a "shootout" a while back where they put a 250R cam and stuff like that into the 250X, and guess what, it won. Now that was pure BS. :naughty:

The Huskie must not have won. I don't see a new post saying WOOOHOOO Huskie wins the shootout, huskie wins the shootout!!!!!! :naughty::naughty:

they tested the TE-450. some riders liked it, one said if the suspension was tuned for him he would have placed the husky higher on his list.

I ride the TE-510. I don't follow crowds.

:D:D:D:D:busted::busted::busted::mad::mad::mad:?:D

KTM All the way baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I know .........big surprise..........NOT ?

The interesting thing was there were 8 guys rating the bikes - each got to pick there three favorites - only 4 bikes out of the 8 bikes made it out of 24 chances to be picked = 8 (riders) x 3 (votes) = 24 chances to be picked at least 3rd choice.

Those bikes were

KTM

Honda

Yamaha

Husaberg

KTM keeps proving they make the best off-road bikes .

Ya really got to hand it to a small Co. like KTM to stay on top when the big guys like Honda and Yamaha try there best to knock them off the top.

RIGHT ON KTM........YOU ARE THE BOMB

DP :D:D??

Dude we are depending on a magazine to tell us what bike is best :naughty: I mean if would all go by what other people say OR how OTHER people ride the bikes the Kawasaki would be the best (seeing that bubba wins every race by 8 sec) I personally ride a yzf426 and ride with guys on yzf450's and ktm 525's all in all the ktm is a dog in the bottom end if it wasn't for six gear the bike would be a rock catcher! (sorry Chris even though you are a bad ass rider I just cant seem to get on this ktm thing :D ) Anyway I personally think its who is riding the bike, And as far as ktm knocking off yamaha and honda :naughty: What place do they finish in all the mx,sx,desert races :D

The husky would be a great bike but the suspension sucks, and the plastic configuration leaves something to be desired.

I have always had a soft spot for Husky's, the engineers just need to go on vacation for a few months and let some fresh ideas come into focus

the husky Marzocchi forks are race stiff stock for a pro rider, and need lots of clicker adjustment for off road use by the average weekend rider, and can also be re-valved as i did with mine. My set up is great now. excellent suspension - I'm very happy with it.......that is no BS. The husky Sachs shock is getting great press.

:naughty: It's more important to read between the lines. Some of their best comments are one liners, or after thoughts. Take what they say and combine it with what you read on the net and you'll have a better idea what the truth is. :naughty: Look at their motivation........where's the $$$$!? :D

The thing which opened my eyes........blew me away really........was a seat of the pants comparison! Nothing like sitting on the bike and rocketing through the gears. A 2 minute test drive will tell you more about a bike than reading a book about it! IMHO! :D

The best analogy I've ever heard........it's like putting bells and streamers on a cow with hoof and mouth disease! :D

:naughty: It's more important to read between the lines. Some of their best comments are one liners, or after thoughts. [/i] :naughty:

it was some of the best valuable review writing i've seen.......very fair honest riders reviews.......maybe too sanitized but still i felt like i was getting mostly truth.especially on the little boxes of rider quotes

Well,

I don'trace, am not too aggressive or aggressive at all for that fact, and have ridden a 78 RM250, 80' XR500 and 02' XR400.

Anyone of those bikes (450's) would be a great purchase for a rider like me. I know some of you posting are similiar in form on the bike as I am and others have experience and need (racing) for the slightest performance difference. When it comes down do it with aftermarket mods any bike can be set up for you. Reliability is more of a concern for me than perforemance (cuz they all perform). When you think about most are very reliable to, so what it comes down to is your favorite color.

Anyway I personally think its who is riding the bike, And as far as ktm knocking off yamaha and honda :naughty: What place do they finish in all the mx,sx,desert races ?

Easy boy :naughty:

Alls I'm telling you is what the mag. said - it's the OFF-ROAD test - not the MX bla bla bla test?? In KTM's defence (like they really need it :D ) go to any Enduro - look around you and see the sea of Orange - beleive me - racers want what they can win on!! I don't beleive I was knocking any other brand - just stating the 5 out of 8 test riders chose the KTM 450 as there number one choice. :D

Ride on

dp :D

Easy boy :naughty:

Alls I'm telling you is what the mag. said - it's the OFF-ROAD test - not the MX bla bla bla test?? In KTM's defence (like they really need it :D ) go to any Enduro - look around you and see the sea of Orange - beleive me - racers want what they can win on!! I don't beleive I was knocking any other brand - just stating the 5 out of 8 test riders chose the KTM 450 as there number one choice. :naughty:

Ride on

dp :D

sea of orange around me :D? Enduro....come on man thats a time trial race you dont have to do anything but manage a clock so I'm sure there would be a bunch of "orange" bikes around me :D I never said that ktm was bad....What I was saying was I have had first hand observations and from what I have seen I'm am not that impressed :D I mean if I was a test rider for the major dirt rider magazines and lets say that ktm gave me a couple thousand dollars to say that there bike was the best then I guess it would be ?

sea of orange around me :D:naughty: Enduro....come on man thats a time trial race you dont have to do anything but manage a clock so I'm sure there would be a bunch of "orange" bikes around me :naughty: I never said that ktm was bad....What I was saying was I have had first hand observations and from what I have seen I'm am not that impressed ? I mean if I was a test rider for the major dirt rider magazines and lets say that ktm gave me a couple thousand dollars to say that there bike was the best then I guess it would be :D

OK :D