Sign in to follow this  

Stand or sit?

When you ride a track, are you mostly standing or sitting (except in jump and curves)? Also, in a tight curve, where do you sit? On the tank or in the middle? On the inside, center or outside part of the seat?

Thank you :naughty:

Cedric

When you ride a track, are you mostly standing or sitting (except in jump and curves)? Also, in a tight curve, where do you sit? On the tank or in the middle? On the inside, center or outside part of the seat?

Thank you :naughty:

Cedric

I stand everywhere except in turns, and try to stay balanced on the pegs so that I don't have to hold onto the bike with my hands or legs. When going into most turns, you lean back on the pegs and brake hard, then ease off the brakes and sit down and forward onto the tank. I like to squeeze with my knees for the sit-down, so that my arms don't have to absorb the force of my body weight. The friction of my knees controls the sit-down, and lets my arms stay relaxed with elbows high and out. At turn-in, weight the outside peg and push hard in with your outside knee to tip the bike into the turn, and put your inside foot out front near the front axle for balance and to catch any front end washes. On flatter turns, the bike is leaned over more than your body, and most of your body weight is off the seat and on the outside peg and on your knee in the tank. On bermed corners with great traction, you can sit on the seat in line with the bike and rail. As you come out of the corner, your body weight will be way forward, to keep you balanced on the outside peg and transitioning to both pegs.

Check out Gary Semics MX Practice Manual at his website (click though the banner ad at the top of this page). It's a quick read, with lots of great advice about body positioning, balance, etc. Well worth the price, IMO. :naughty:

i sit a lot, the bumps don't really bother me and i have pretty strong arms i think and they take up a lot of the beating. i usually only stand goin over big bumps or jumps and stuff

I stand every where thats possible. I usually sit down halfway into a turn and get back up asap. And where do I sit, always as far up as i can.

I stand every where thats possible. I usually sit down halfway into a turn and get back up asap. And where do I sit, always as far up as i can.

exactly

exactly

Thank you, nothing really crazy about it. No crazy moves just stand up as mush as possible and sit as far as forward as possible. Every pro I have ever talked to told me that.