Air Pressure Thoughts

He we go with another riding season, about time I might add. But as I complete my spring prep of oil and filter changing chain tensioning and oiling ect... I come to realize there is always one part that leaves me standing in the garage scratching my head. Now this first ride almost always has the same ground conditions every year. Mud, grass that sinks under foot, some snow here and there, some dry stretches of railroad stone and wet sand oh and did I mention MUD. But even though I will change my tire pressure 50 times this year for different reasons and conditions. Finding the all around first pressure setting of the year just leaves me staring off into space. Anyone have a starting point they would like to share I would like to try it out today. Sooner or later I will get a good one to right on the garage wall. Thanks.

cant help you for ground that sinks under your feet, but we like 9 pounds for sugar sand. The bikes ride like they are on tracks then. 13 in the front and 12 in the rear is about as high as we go too for hardpack clay.

cant help you for ground that sinks under your feet, but we like 9 pounds for sugar sand. The bikes ride like they are on tracks then. 13 in the front and 12 in the rear is about as high as we go too for hardpack clay.
See, I wish I could do that. But the sand we get into always has the occasional rock just below the surface waiting for someone running 9 psi to run over it. In the end, ambient mean rock size becomes a major deciding factor. The dirt that doesn't have a lot of rocks in it feels like one. :naughty: We run between 11 and 14 almost all the time.

luckily for us there is little risk of rocks here. we do have logs and palmetto roots but a quick blip on the throttle and the front is over them. The rear has enough sidewall strength that you can run it nearly empty and still not risk anything.

When we ride at hard rock which is hard packed clay and limestone rocks, the pressure is pumped though.

15 psi is what I use in the east. Works great on powerline type stuff which has a lot of rocks and mud.

I keep my front and rear at 14psi for all conditions. If I go any higher or lower the front tends to wash more. Michelin S12 on both.

12 and 12 is a good place to start. Less in mud and more in rocks.

Air pressure has multiple variables needed to be correct.

1st is have enough not to pinch flat. this is determined by dirt/rocks/square edges. also determnined by heavy duty tube or standard. Also sidewall strength which varies from tire to tire.

Your trying to get 3-5mm of rim clean on rear and still not pinch flat. do a search on rim clean.

My variables are: 95% groomed track. Hvy tube. Michelin Starcross tire ( very rigid sidewall). For this I run 9psi rear and 8 fr. I still only get 2-3 mm of rim clean and I'm pushing pretty hard. For the other 5% trail I bump to 11 and 11 too avoid pinch flats as I've some rocks to deal with at speed. I barely get 1mm rim clean but I don't pinch flat either.

Alrighty there are some good responces. I ended up heading out before anyone gave a responce yesterday and I left with 15 in both. I do Deal with alot of rocks around here but mud is the current mess we have. I am sure of one thing, that being that 15 is to much. I felt as though I was riding on solid rubber tires. A large field I came to with tire ruts from the tractor that mows it was bone rattling. I was feeling like I needed a mouth piece and a kidney belt. Thanks for the replays though I like to try anything that others find as a good set up. I am going to try 12 front and 11 rear next trip out. I am running the stock Dunlop tires by the way.

The 739's? LOL those tires suck for anything other than asphalt. Thats why you can get a good all around grip, not the air pressure.

I usually run 12/12 on mine because I get a good mix of hard stuff, sand, and mud where I ride. I'm running a Starcross rear and a D759 front. I ride trails and it works out pretty good for me.

I run everything from soft loam in the woods to baked hard pack, all on the same loop. The Michelin M-12's, front and rear have worked really well for me so far. Michelin says to never run MORE than 12 lbs. in these tires. I run 10-12 in 'em with great results. :naughty:

what is the best pressure for sandy ground, wet and dry this time of year?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now