Sign in to follow this  

Brakes???

OK, I'm looking at a couple bikes for my wife, some have drum vs. standard brakes. What are the pros and cons? I don't think I like the drum breaks as much.

For example CRF150 has tradititional breaks, but the CRF100 does not. I'm thinking the 100 because she will mostly ride on open dirt roads and small trails, so she doensn't need a MX bike, just something to zip around on and have some fun. I like the TTR as well, but I don't think it is as strong and sturdy enough for a few wrecks from a beginner.

I have had a TTR125L (large wheel with a disc front/drum rear) in my stable for 4 years now. You will not find a more reliable trail/playbike anywhere. I haven't even had to change the spark plug. It has carried my son from his begining as a rider all the way through a full MX season. It was then passed on to my daughter and she rode it for a full mx season as well. It fires up easily, runs all day long while sipping fuel and begs for more. They are on to biggger and faster racebikes now but we have kept the TTR and been adding mods with plans to keep it as a pit bike.

As for drum vs. disc, a disc on the front is a must nowadays for any serious bike. For a playbike such as a TTR a drum rear keeps costs down and is plenty effective for locking up the rear.

Interesting, they seem so much lighter that it doesn't seem possible for them to be as stable and strong. The CRF seems bullet proof and it should be since it weighs in more than my 250f.

Any special maint. on the drums?

I had an XR200R, which has drum brakes front and rear. I never felt that I was lacking in the brake department. My riding style, however, does rely heavily on engine braking, maybe because of those drum brakes. :naughty: I have always ridden 4 strokes, so I always had that compression braking to help stop me.

Getting used to the discs on my WR400 will take a little time. I didn't kick the back end of the XR around with the back wheel locked up and the clutch in, but I'm learning to do it on the WR as it will lock the back with very little effort.

I bought an ex a '92 XR100 (with drums) to teach her to ride. Put new tires and shoes on it, and off she went. We both had a blast on that little bike. Drums didn't seem to hinder it - or us.

Any special maint. on the drums?

Just remember to check them periodically since you can't see how much wear there is, and keep the expansion arm (? - is that the right name?) and the shoes where it rides greased so it can return to a rest position easier. I only changed my shoes once in 2 years of racing and riding. I always carried spares in case one decided to come apart, but it never happened.