Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Problems

My clutch on my 1980 XR80 is slipping. It slips in every gear mainly in 5th and when I shift too. If I am riding over bumps, say potholes, it slips really bad and it takes a long time to accelerate. If I give it full throttle it will slowly rev up and then they will shoot up as if I disengaged the clutch and the bike will stay at the same speed. Do I need to replace the entire clutch or just the springs or plates or basket? How much will this cost?

Just get new plates. Get CR85 plates from Barnett. If your basket is all notched up, then get a basket. It might be since it's 25 years old!!!! I would get one on ebay if you need it. Or you can put in a xr100 clutch and get an extra disc.

You might be able to replace just the plates but your better off replacing the whole kit. Clutch plates, friction plates and the springs. It would cost you approx. $100.00.

You might be able to replace just the plates but your better off replacing the whole kit. Clutch plates, friction plates and the springs. It would cost you approx. $100.00.

I'd imagine $100.00 :naughty:

How hard is it to replace the clutch plates and basket ? Are cr85 plates the same as xr100 plates ? Whats the advantage of using cr85 plates instead of xr ones ?

Supposedly they are more race. Plus, you can buy them in a kit from Barnett and I thinks it's cheaper. But you end up with two sets, which is only cheaper if you change them more than every decade.