why are there no American made dirtbikes?

Hi!

Its a while now that i am a little bit confused about the fact that there are no american dirtbike manufacturers.

OK there is ATK but they never made their own engines....

Cannondale was a short episode....

Don´t talk about the Hodaka and Carabela stuff......

Hey you have some pretty good aftermarket products (exhausts , suspension and so on) , you are the biggest market so why are there no american dirtbikes?

Small european countries like Italy , Spain, Sweden and even Austria have own manufacturers for decades!

What do you think?

Twinshocker

I don't know. America doesn't really make a competitive sport bike or trials bike that I'm aware of either. A few years ago there was a rumer that Harley was going to buy KTM, I was hoping that would happen.

why would you want harley to buy KTM?

so they could be slow, overweight, loud, and overpriced copies of their former bikes? :naughty:

becaues the ATK and Cannondale were crap

Maybe for the same reason they don't make sportscars, yet the USA is Ferrari's biggest market :naughty:

wouls cost wayyy too much money. its alot cheaper over seas. there was a discussion a while back im pretty sure on here. A company like BBR should make bikes...lol

Harley had a stake in Aremachi in the 60s and 70s,my wife had a 350 Sprint SX,the dirt bike,but it wasn't much of a dirt bike with a 19in front wheel and a long motor.The US has lost the plot with motor vehicles over the last 30 yrs,they were the standard to judge others by,now they remind me of Japanese vehicles of the 60s.I often wonder why they don't try to control and lead the market instead of being followers and using others products...it's all there for the taking.

Making bikes in european countries isn't all that cheaper than it is here. The reason why no american companies make dirtbikes is the same reason that a lot of american cars are crap: they don't pay attention to quality and details. Look how outdated the technology in american cars is compared to the overseas stuff.

look how expensive ktms are... but then again excels, hydraulic clutch etc... i think it would be really cool if an american made bike emerged

Maybe for the same reason they don't make sportscars, yet the USA is Ferrari's biggest market :naughty:

You forgot about the Corvette (especially the upcoming Z06), the Ford GT, and the Viper.

You also have to remember that Europe has a huge market for small engined bikes, so they make one engine and they put that engine into a few other models and then they have a line of bikes to sell. Also unlike England were you have to start small and progress to larger CC bikes, here in the US we let 18 year olds go out and buy the biggest and fastest bike they can get there hands on so any American bike makers we do have go out and make gigantical V twins so they can be on TV to see who can make the longest and most God awful handling bike on the planet.

Americans dropped out of the market long ago. At this point, it would take more money to start a motorcycle company than most sane investors would care to front. Some insanely rich entrepreneur might do it, but those ventures rarely last long.

The amount of engineering, testing, etc. that needs to be done to produce a decent bike is staggering.

There's another post on this forum about the CRF450 and why everyone's copying it. Well, it's because Honda spent many (8 or more) years refining the art of building an aluminum frame.

Someone was slamming Honda for their '97 or '98 CR250, the "worst handling aluminum frame upside down fork bike ever"

Very well, it might have been. I applaud Honda for their efforts. They learned from their mistakes, and now produce the most popular dirt bike made. It took a long time and a huge volume of bikes to get the CRF450 where it is, but they did it.

An upstart company with no reputation and little capital is not going to be able to get enough market share and support to develop their bike, because there are so many other bikes that are already proven...And cheap.

An American bike will cost a lot, and it *will* be an inferior product for a few years. Not because the Americans can't do it, but because it takes time to make a bike right. And they have to sell enough bikes to make a profit. A manufacturer is a business, after all.

S

Making bikes in european countries isn't all that cheaper than it is here. The reason why no american companies make dirtbikes is the same reason that a lot of american cars are crap: they don't pay attention to quality and details. Look how outdated the technology in american cars is compared to the overseas stuff.

most domestic car manufacturers dont even "make" their own cars anyway, they design and assemble them. most of that crap under the hood is made overseas, along with the bodypanels. if americans had a dirtbike company, they would probably get it made overseas anyway, because of the cost. As far as paying attention to detail, im sure americans are ignorant to some things as compared to them crazy japs, just look at the playstion 2, what american could come up with that masterpiece?

Some of the stuff said in this thread is pure crap. All american cars are crap, no american sports cars.

American cars aren't nearly as bad as they were at one time. 2 or 3 of the top 5 cars in the consumer guide ratings. American cars have a terrible rap. But undeservingly. ford owns mazda, Chrysler owns Mitsu. Nissan, Toyota, and Honda all have plants in American, the line between foriegn and American cars has been blured. I'll admit there are poor american cars, but there are equally bad jap cars. I'm not going to touch those ultra reliable Benz's :naughty: I have owned Jap cars, and american trucks, let me tell you, the jap car wasn't all that. One year and 1500 dollars later, I went back to one of those crap american trucks. Haven't spent a dime since.

If Cannondale hadn't tried to re-invent the dirt bike right away and made a really good copy of another bike they could have sold a lot of bikes just being made in America.

Hi!

Its a while now that i am a little bit confused about the fact that there are no american dirtbike manufacturers.

OK there is ATK but they never made their own engines....

Cannondale was a short episode....

Don´t talk about the Hodaka and Carabela stuff......

Hey you have some pretty good aftermarket products (exhausts , suspension and so on) , you are the biggest market so why are there no american dirtbikes?

Small european countries like Italy , Spain, Sweden and even Austria have own manufacturers for decades!

What do you think?

Twinshocker

.....Union Workers!!!!!.... :naughty::naughty::D:D .....Thats "our poison".....

Beat me to it! The union pukes in this country drive the price of labor up so high we can't compete. Technology wise, the USA is the leader of cutting edge technologies in all categories.

All it is , is a piece of crap worked over Cannondale

wow!!.....my house-cat said that same exact thing yesterday!... :naughty::naughty: