Sign in to follow this  

why are there no American made dirtbikes?

Gees relax guy's :naughty:

Just get a US company to build a f**king bike!

its not the costs of manufacturing. we would probably be cheaper than the others given the current exchange rates...

its the start up cost. the crowded market. the burn rate that branding a new machine would eat up.

no doubt the best bikes could be made here in So Cal. We have all the suppliers, and the engineers and instant feedback and all year testing and LOADS of experts to draw from---problemm is for 5-10 years the bike would be considered 'exotic' by the lame ass US press, and few would buy it. Capital would dry up, and the moeny to constantly update the bike would not be there.

If the US dirt bikers support ATK. They could refine this bike into a monster killer. Great bones, as they say. I like the True owner programable Electronic EFI. Let's see any of the Big 5 let you have that kind of control over your own bike. I can Change my EFI map at home or out of the back of my truck. On the Fly mapping(push button) is also available for the Dale or ATK. And i have riding buddie's with CRF's & KLF's I can smoke them in a drag race, with the right map installed. I've droped 30 pounds of my ATK, tuned the Suspension. It can be done. Very nice ! :cool: Buy American :applause: We all need to Support US Mnaufacturer's !

You forgot about the Corvette (especially the upcoming Z06), the Ford GT, and the Viper.

That's right. The new Z06 will smoke a lot of late model Ferraris too. :cool:

Japanese and Austrians make such good bikes, no one wants to put forth the investment to climb the learning plateau required to compete....maybe if they catered to a niche market...like dual sport or something, then branch out....something reliable and heavy...like a XR400 copy to build a brand name...the market is what it is, we dont go to the Mexican resturant to eat pizza...Im proud to own a Japanese truck, bikes, and most of all my Hans and Frans built orange woods rocket, its just good stuff for the money!!!

Have you ever rode a motorcycle that was produced in America?

Ok I rest my point...

no but for real.. Ducati's couldn't handle abuse at ALL.. I'd hate to see them produce a dirt bike..

I'll take a honda any day..

And if anyone wants to argue, make a video of your ducati on rev limiter for more then 10 seconds.. Did it blow up?

I'l hold my honda on rev limiter for blocks :cool:

i'd liek to see a ZO6 outdo a ferrari 430.. even if it can get it in a line, the cornering ability is nothing in comparison lol..

anyway i recan that even if there was an American bike made, i wouldn't be buying one..

The problem is that the only risktakers with enough capital for something like this are visionaries. So we get "new" designs that are considered exotic and are problematic. I am not sure how unions are involved. I cant remember Cannondale/ATK ever striking. Hopefully Arctic Cat will see the $$ in building a copy of what we already buy. Just make it red, white, and blue.

I hope the stuff I read about Polaris getting into the dirtbike market is true.

It would be easy to spot the slowest bikes on the trail. And the tow rope sales would be through the roof! :busted:

I'd love to see a 600 lb, CVT driven dirtbike. :worthy:

When i had a union job i made a decent living and scraped by, now i have a non union job at about 1/2 the pay and i am going right in the poor house.

I love the way people think. It's o.k. for some nameless corparation to stuff billions in there pocket while paying you 7 bucks an hour or ship your job to some third world country for profit but heaven forbid they have to pay me a realistic wage.

I am not pro union but should be. The non union workforce in this country is what is tearing it down. As long as companys can get away with paying you nothing while pocketing millions this trend will continue.

There's no American dirt bikes because the auto workers union would move in and require that the company pay some 300 pound toothless woman $35 per hour for putting a sticker on the rear fender as it rolled down the assembly line.

• Like 1

This would be why there are no North American Dirt bike manufacturers:

A Japanese company and an American company decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India ..

Sadly, The End.

Soon, there won't be any American Automobile Manufacturers either.

• Like 3

Do you really want a dirtbike that vibrates and runs like a harley

america don't know their stuff

the only good motors are the larger ones

we know nothing of small engines

Do you really want a dirtbike that vibrates and runs like a harley

america don't know their stuff

the only good motors are the larger ones

we know nothing of small engines

I think that at this point they could probably just pull apart a Japanese motor and reengineer it.

Also called "the China method", formerly known as "the Japan method".

• Like 1

This would be why there are no North American Dirt bike manufacturers:

A Japanese company and an American company decided to have a canoe race on the Missouri River . Both teams practiced long and hard to reach their peak performance before the race.

On the big day, the Japanese won by a mile.

The Americans, very discouraged and depressed, decided to investigate the reason for the crushing defeat. A management team made up of senior management was formed to investigate and recommend appropriate action.

Their conclusion was the Japanese had 8 people rowing and 1 person steering, while the American team had 8 people steering and 1 person rowing.

Feeling a deeper study was in order, American management hired a consulting company and paid them a large amount of money for a second opinion.

They advised, of course, that too many people were steering the boat, while not enough people were rowing.

Not sure of how to utilize that information, but wanting to prevent another loss to the Japanese, the rowing team's management structure was totally reorganized to 4 steering supervisors, 3 area steering superintendents and 1 assistant superintendent steering manager.

They also implemented a new performance system that would give the 1 person rowing the boat greater incentive to work harder. It was called the 'Rowing Team Quality First Program' with meetings, dinners and free pens for the rower. There was discussion of getting new paddles, canoes and other equipment, extra vacation days for practices and bonuses

The next year the Japanese won by two miles.

Humiliated, the American management laid off the rower for poor performance, halted development of a new canoe, sold the paddles, and canceled all capital investments for new equipment. The money saved was distributed to the Senior Executives as bonuses and the next year's racing team was out-sourced to India ..

Sadly, The End.

Soon, there won't be any American Automobile Manufacturers either.

Thanks that brought a smile to my face. But then the sad realization on how true this is in real life.

wouls cost wayyy too much money. its alot cheaper over seas. there was a discussion a while back im pretty sure on here. A company like BBR should make bikes...lol

HeHehe...Yeah, a $20,000 dirt bike, that would go over good. Probably would be purdy though.

Unions have been a major reason why Americans make as much money as they do...morons.

Yeah and why a 10.000 car cost 35,000 now. And why it takes 6 union workers to get the job done it should only take one. I'll leave out the Mooron comment.:busted:

Reading all this, it's not saying much about our Engineering schools. I guess we have let our selves down.

I think the reason there are no domestic mx bikes made here is that there is no real need. Honda,Yamaha,Suziki,Kawi, Ktm all make outstanding products. :busted::worthy:

I agree. Just like the full size truck market (namely HD) is owned by American manufacturers because they make a great truck. There's no competition. Although the new Tundra seems to be taking a small chunk of the pie in the 1/2 ton crowd.

Yeah and why a 10.000 car cost 35,000 now. And why it takes 6 union workers to get the job done it should only take one. I'll leave out the Mooron comment.:busted:

Way to show your ignorance:applause: :worthy:.