Sign in to follow this  

why are there no American made dirtbikes?

Reading all this, it's not saying much about our Engineering schools. I guess we have let our selves down.

The problem has nothing to do with America's engineering schools. We have some of the best engineering schools in the world in this country; such as M.I.T.(Massachusetts Institute of Technology). Several of the engineering professors that are teaching in American universities are from foreign nations, so we have a broad range of talent out there. Also, many American companies employee some outstanding engineers. Ford, Chrysler, and GM included. There are myriad reasons for the steady decline of Detroit's Big 3 automakers. A lot of American engineers are constantly being hammered about "reducing costs", so they are forced to design their products using materials and features that they know full well are inferior to the offerings of their Asian and European competitors. It's sad. We CAN do better, and would if we were alloted the appropriate resources to do so. Companies being Wall Street-driven is part of the problem, and Chrysler has recently done something about that part of their problems. If our companies' top executive brass would just sacrifice some of their ridiculously absurd 'perks', then we could all benefit from our newfound success.

If our companies' top executive brass would just sacrifice some of their ridiculously absurd 'perks', then we could all benefit from our newfound success.

I agree.

i've yet to read a post on hear that answers the question.

it aint unions--KTM workers make the same as USA workers (in fact they make more) and take double the vacation. jap workers are similar to USA workers in terms of costs.

management makes way more in the USA, but i dont think thats it. Subtract freight cost from EU or Japan and its cheaper here.

metal costs the same everywhere. same with rubber, plastic, etc.

components like rims, carbs, etc. costs the same.

I dont think its manufacturing costs.

Design costs -- why would they be more here than in Austria, Germany, Italy or Japan? CAD programs, engineers, one off design shops--we have all that in Detroit and beyond. As good or better than anyone anywhere.

Marketing costs are the same.

Capital is cheaper here than anywhere. Same with land/building costs. So start up costs should be cheap--but start up costs are start up costs, and that something the others dont have....

IMHO there is room for an off-road manufacturer here in the USA.

exactly, there is room but it would take too long even if someone stepped up and produced a good bike right off the bat... it took 20 years for detroit to shake the fact that produced junk in the 70's and early 80's...

american investors are all about the instant return, no one would be willing to wait the 10 years it would take imo

You also have to remember that Europe has a huge market for small engined bikes, so they make one engine and they put that engine into a few other models and then they have a line of bikes to sell. Also unlike England were you have to start small and progress to larger CC bikes, here in the US we let 18 year olds go out and buy the biggest and fastest bike they can get there hands on so any American bike makers we do have go out and make gigantical V twins so they can be on TV to see who can make the longest and most God awful handling bike on the planet.

Hey treehugger what movie is this quote from? "I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm alllll out of bubble gum." Awesome movie Rowdy Piper rules.:busted:

Litigation

A market under attack from multiple fronts

The union workers would steal parts for their own mount

The cost of business in the US goes far beyond salaries

Thats my list...

Here's my opinion; most Americans are too proud to admit when another country has a good idea. Which is good because it keeps us on top and we are still on top......for now,maybe forever. But forever will take some change change not many will like. With out going into detail of my past statement and to make my point. Everytime an American company decides their going to try and compete ESPECIALLY when it comes to motorcycles they want to create the next big thing, and in the end we stand back and look at it and say "What the F#@K!". Examples; ATK & Beull. Put your hands together if your with me!:busted:

I think North Americas problem is one thing and one thing only, and most here have hit it on the head, the term CEO is used far too much.

We have way too many Captains and not enough deckhands, all teh cost comes from what's been mentioned before - too many perks, too many execs too many people that don't know what the hell they're doing other than collecting a huge paycheck and pushing blame when it hits the fan.

We DO have some of the best engineers, problem is always one of two things - after the fat useless salaries, there isn't enough left over for the engineers OR those that get the big fat salaries don't let the engineers do their jobs OR just plain kybosh any good ideas coming from engineers.

All in all if we got rid of the dead wood up top, we could deal with the unions and get things back into perspective.

This could be another thread idear:

How would YOU as a 'Merican' build the off road/mx / whatever bike?

Heres mine:

Target market- off road, off road racer/enduro

CroMo perrimeter frame

300cc 2-stroke direct injection

Conventional (right side up) Forks (that work)

Weight centralized (fuel where airbox is now and visa versa)

i'd liek to see a ZO6 outdo a ferrari 430.. even if it can get it in a line, the cornering ability is nothing in comparison lol..

anyway i recan that even if there was an American bike made, i wouldn't be buying one..

:busted: "Chew 'im up!" LOL!

:worthy: Buy American :ride: The only way American Motorcycle Manufacture's will produce better technology will be when we "Buy American". We need to support American Bike's. We have the technology, Engineering & the Biggest Market in the World. We need to think every time We look at a Foreign Bike ! Buy American ! I just bought a New ATK EFI !! :blah: Cheer's :busted:

We have Service Honda. Its not exactly a bike manufacturer, but they take bikes from over seas, make them 10 times better, and then resell them.

That is the closest thing to a competitive manufacturer the U.S. probably has.

Maybe for the same reason they don't make sportscars, yet the USA is Ferrari's biggest market :busted:

....because we've turned into a country with more money than brains....

:worthy: Buy American :ride: The only way American Motorcycle Manufacture's will produce better technology will be when we "Buy American". We need to support American Bike's. We have the technology, Engineering & the Biggest Market in the World. We need to think every time We look at a Foreign Bike ! Buy American ! I just bought a New ATK EFI !! :blah: Cheer's :busted:

I don't care enough about my country to pay more for less!

:worthy: "Chew 'im up!" LOL!

Yep! Just as I said. LOL :busted: