New member looking for a little advice RE: DRZ 400

Hello,

Just joined TT and I think its pretty cool.

I'm in the market for a new bike after 10 years out of the saddle. Previous bikes I"ve owned are RM250 ('79 and '82), a highly modded XL500 ('82), XL 200 ('84), CB 750, etc. I've raced motocross and enduros and find that I prefer woods riding to double and triple jumps. Also, I'm 37!

I like the practicality of the dual sport (easier to justify purcahse, and nearest true off road riding area is 150 miles away), but I'm drawn to the E model due to its better performance and lighter weight. I've been reading for what seems like weeks about the two bikes. Emotionally, I want the E. No question. But my logical side is screaming for the S.

At the two local dealers I have two options:

1. 03 DRZ400 E -- brand new -- $4300 + tax

2. 04 DRZ400 S -- brand new -- $5000 + tax

Here's my dilemma. I know about the Baja Designs kits, and looking at option 1, if I added a BD kit and DOT tires I that would put me in the same ballpark pricewise.

The S model has all the street stuff and a locking steering head. I'm a little concerned about leaving a converted E outside all day at work. Also worried about potential problems with add-on dual sport kits. Are they reliable? And how to deal with securing an E model that's been converted with a BD kit?

I haven't ridden either of the bikes as dealers here don't allow it at all. I don't think that's right, but that's just how it is. Riding both would probably answer my question, but that's not an option. So I'm going in blind as it were.

Are the prices above fair for each of these bikes? Which option do you think is best? Issues with either model that I should be aware of?

I have considered picking up a 93 XL 250 cheap ($1200) for street use and just getting the 03 400 E for dirt. The wife might not like that too much though! I do prefer dual sport bikes to dedicated street bikes, so I'm not considering a street bike.

Any input on these two motorcycles would be appreciated.

Thanks

Although the two are similar, the E has some different parts than the S. The E is faster due to different cams, carb, compresion ratio, exhaust . . .

Check out

http://home.comcast.net/~erik.marquez/drz/EvsS.htm

And Bronco Sticky at the top of the forum for the differences.

Make sure you buy the one that suits your needs best. It is tough to know what you will want to be doing in a year or so. :naughty:

Both are good prices. How tough is it to plate an E in Louisiana? If you can plate it easily then I would buy the E...better carb, less weight, etc. However, if you are determined to dual-sport it you can figure on paying at least $200 for the parts and then doing the work yourself. May be easier to buy the S and do the mods...I have an S that is more of a E now but that costs money and time, too. Either way you'll like the DRZ. Best bike I've ever owned. Welcome and :naughty: good luck...

the mods you have to do to the s to make it comparable is very pricey$$$$ I am in the process of converting my drz400e into a dual sport it is costing me about $500 apose to spending like $1200 at least to turn your s into an e. Just a thought.

You can make your own conversion kit for about $200. Better check out what it takes in your state to license a conversion. No can do in WA. If you are going to use it for actual dual sport and ride on the street much, then go for the "S" and leave it mostly stock. If it is going to be a dirt bike, buy a dirt bike. I converted an "E" and would buy the "S" if I had it to do over.

Like they said, if you can dual sport an E in your state, go with the E. You will need to pull off that ugly S taillight assembly anyway. The E carb will cost you 5 or 6 hundred dollars, maybe $150 for an intake cam. If you can dual sport the E go that way, otherwise get ready to spend some money on your S.

The S in stock form is a very capable trail bike. It's not very expensive to make the mods that get it very close in performance to the E if you're happy with the S carb (which I am). However if you are like so many of the members of this forum and want to get maxium power and performance out of your bike, then start with an E and dual sport it. Of course if you were gonna go that route then maybe a CRF450X would be a better answer as it outperforms the DRZ-E.

You know I have a California E, which has the S carb, and I am pretty happy with it too. I put in the E cams, and the thing really is sweet. I can just imagine the wheelie possibilities with the E carb though.

Forgot to mention....the price on the E sounds pretty good, the S maybe a little high. There are some other forum members here from your area, maybe they could hook you up with a test ride?

If I was you I'd get the S.

You'll be able to drive it home from the dealer with zero mods and start having fun right away. It will probably have plenty of power for you initially. You'll always be able to upgrade the power down the road.

It's not that expensive to upgrade an S if you shop around. I picked up a brand new FCR carb and E exhaust on ebay for less then $340. All I need now is a $140 HotCams intake cam and I'll have more power then an E.

Don't forget the E base gasket to raise your compression.

I'm in CA, and getting a plate for an "E" is almost impossible after Jan. '04.

Never riden the "E" but my "S" works pretty good, although I found I'm only riding off road since I have a street bike.

I'm considering selling and going with a dirt only bike for my dirt stuff.

while I'm rambling...

anyone got experience with the carb?

I opened up the exhaust a little, sounds like a hefty thumper but now it seams to cut out and miss around 4-5,000rpms.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the opening up of the exhaust or not?

This reminds me a little of a gas vs. diesel thread. :naughty: Everyone is passionate about their choice.

For my money, depending how hard it is to get the bike registered in your state, I think you'd be crazy not to go with the E model, especially given the prices you got.

I did my own dual sport kit on my bike from new and used parts for less than $100 CDN ($75USD). Check out my garage for pics. It works great and I've even been through a police stop check with it - no problems.

The E model gives you a better, more capable bike in all conditions IMHO, and saves a ton of weight as well.

So in the end, you get what IMHO is a better bike right out of the box, for hundreds of $$$$ less than what you'd spend to get to not only buy the S, but spend to get the S to the point the E is at stock.

Waxy

At the two local dealers I have two options:

1. 03 DRZ400 E -- brand new -- $4300 + tax

2. 04 DRZ400 S -- brand new -- $5000 + tax

I bought my 01 DRZ-400E with some extras, barely riden, in the spring of 2003 for $3500.

There are always better deals out there, just gotta keep looking. IMHO

In fact I think that Action Motor Sports in Idaho Falls, ID has a barely riden '03 DRZ-400 E for $3500 right now.

From a performance point of view the E looks very attractive. That alone would have me giving it some serious thought...if my state made it possible to achieve it easily. Missouri does make it easy...I don't think we even require turn signals here...of course not that I would ride around Kansas City with out them. Too much dim witted traffic to rely on hand signals.

But the other factors you should consider are the ability to lock the tank and the steering neck. Whether or not the passenger pegs will ever be used or needed. Whether or not you wish to install a rear rack for cargo.

I feel the S is the better dual sport...while the E is the better performance trail bike. Imagine that...just as designed!

If you are willing to do the performance mods over time...and dual sporting is your primary goal...then the S may be the best choice for you...as it was for me and 70% of the guys on this forum.

I'm in CA, and getting a plate for an "E" is almost impossible after Jan. '04.

Never riden the "E" but my "S" works pretty good, although I found I'm only riding off road since I have a street bike.

I'm considering selling and going with a dirt only bike for my dirt stuff.

while I'm rambling...

anyone got experience with the carb?

I opened up the exhaust a little, sounds like a hefty thumper but now it seams to cut out and miss around 4-5,000rpms.

I don't know if it has anything to do with the opening up of the exhaust or not?

Read this and get back to us if you still have questions.

Http://www.drz.info

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like emotion is gonna win out over logic this time!

I just sold my old toy last night and the money is burning a hole in my pocket.

I discussed it with my wife and I've somehow convinced her that having two bikes is the way to go.

Now I've got to get a good price on that old XL250. The guy wants $1800 for it. Blue book is $835. It needs chain, sprockets, battery, some electrical work, tires, carbuerator cleaning, valve adjustment and tires. I figure for this area its worth $1200.

In sunny California (where I'm from originally) this XL250 would be lucky to fetch bluebook. For some reason dirt bikes(and dual sports) are more expensive here. Its ironic because there are less places to ride.

As far as making the E street legal, State Farm will provide insurance and DMV will title it if it passes a state police inspection. So far, I haven't found anyone there who can tell me exactly what they check (ie sound levels?), other than the standard stuff.

If I score both bikes then I'll have an easy-to-ride bike to recruit some beginners maybe. The only person I know with a dirt bike is my neighbor who rides street bikes primarily. He just bought a brand new RMZ-450. He let me ride it yesterday. WOW! He has no dirt gear and only plans on riding it in his yard (???).

Again, thanks for all the responses. Tough decisions for sure.

I'll update this when I finally get a bike (s).