Changing The Oil

Hi everyone. I have an 05 YZ250F that I have ridden for about 2 hours. I want to change the oil but I was told by a friend that it is a pain in the butt to do and it is a better deal to pay the dealer $39.99 to do it.

I spoke to the dealer and they only change the oil and filter. They don't change or clean the filter that is in the frame. What do you guys think? Is it that hard to change the oil on these bikes?

Thanks,

David

It takes me about 20 minutes, including cleaning my stainless steel, permanent oil filter, and cleaning up.

I don't clean the frame screen more than once a year, except:

>Once when it's new. It's a great bike, but it was mass produced. You never know what you'll find in there.

>Once after major engine work to look for pieces of gasket, sealer, shop towel lint, etc.

ThumperFAQ Oil Change Page

Be advised: The oil is a light viscosity, and will straight out from the frame drain about 18". Turn your front wheel out of the way and hold your drain pan up close at first. Don't say you weren't warned.

Also, understand that it's a dry sump oiling system, and that it operates a bit differently.

$40 to change the oil?!?!? &%$#@! that!!! It's more of a pain in the ass to load your bike up and take it to the dealer than it is to just change it yourself. If you can't change the oil on the your bike you shouldn't be riding one!! Just do it yourself, and tell your lazy ass friend to grow some testicles!!

$40 to change the oil?!?!? &%$#@! that!!! It's more of a pain in the ass to load your bike up and take it to the dealer than it is to just change it yourself. If you can't change the oil on the your bike you shouldn't be riding one!! Just do it yourself, and tell your lazy ass friend to grow some testicles!!
Believe it or not, I know a few (just a few) people who are so, um...inept, that they really shouldn't be changing their own oil. OTOH, your contention that such individuals shouldn't be riding motorcycles does appear to have some merit. :naughty:

Believe it or not, I know a few (just a few) people who are so, um...inept, that they really shouldn't be changing their own oil. OTOH, your contention that such individuals shouldn't be riding motorcycles does appear to have some merit. :naughty:

Dude just because I drain my frame oil via the oil line doesnt mean you have to make fun of me. :naughty:

My turn, If you dont want to hassle with trying to catch the oil that the hydrant is trying to drench your tire and floor with, all you have to do is loosen the bolt that attaches the oil line to the engine and it will all drain out of there. The bolt is the one just below the water pump side. I drain both the frame oil and the main crankcase oil into the drain pan at the same time while I am doing other things. It doesnt require you to attend it.

Oh and by the way, tell your friend he's a retard. :D

Why not just follow the instructions in the manual?

it's much easier to complain out loud on the internet.

what's even more amazing is the ability to skip past threads titled "NEW OWNERS PLEASE READ!" and "04 yz250f oil change problems" and "oil change?" and "Oil change Q...." and ... on and on and on.

ps

if it sounds like i'm pissed off or annoyed, well that's because some people can't be bothered to say "thanks".

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239152

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

Actually I have read the manual (and the New Owner Read message stuck at the top of the forum), but wanted to get the opinions of fellow Yamaha owners regarding an oil change. I wasn't looking for a how to answer, all I wanted to know is it worth the extra $20.00 for the dealer to do it.

Sorry if I made anyone upset by posting this question. I guess that is what I thought a forum was for.

Thanks,

David.

Get the "MAN FUNNEL" by billy who. This thing rocks and makes changing the oil a snap with no mess. About twenty minutes with the warmup and cool down to check the oil at the end. You can get away without changing the filter every time. About 15 hours per filter is ok. Get a steel cleanable filter and save green. It will pay for itself in about for cleanings or 60 hours.

Good luck. It's really no big deal.

Troy

An oil change will only cost you about $7.00. Thats retail prices at your dealer. Hi-flo makes filters for about $3.50 each and a quart of Yamalube or Honda oil runs about $3.50 a quart. Get a reusable stainless steel filter and save some more cash. You don't want them little high school punks working at the dealer after school warming your bike up and messing with it do you! Thats the jobs they save for them to do.

An oil change will only cost you about $7.00. Thats retail prices at your dealer. Hi-flo makes filters for about $3.50 each and a quart of Yamalube or Honda oil runs about $3.50 a quart. Get a reusable stainless steel filter and save some more cash. You don't want them little high school punks working at the dealer after school warming your bike up and messing with it do you! Thats the jobs they save for them to do.

That's really cheap.. where you getting the filter and oil from?

Rich, you se the square block and small 8m bolt head sticking out to the left of the guard about a 1/3 of the way up?

Thats the oil drain line. :naughty:

fold up some aluminum foil and place it on top of the frame under the engine case to use it as a ramp for the oil and you will never drain the frame from the front again. It's really that easy.