Possible new CA trespass ID plate law

There is a bill going through the CA. state assembly that you should be aware of. AB 1086 will make it an infraction of the law to ride an OHV on private property without the owners written consent in your possession. The bill would also require an identification plate on the back of all motorcycles used for off road.

Here's a link to the bill. It's quick and easy reading.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_1051-1100/ab_1086_bill_20050331_amended_asm.html

Keep informed and keep active

Brewster

The fork sticker is too hard to read??? Anywhere else is very vulnerable to getting ripped from the bike during a crash or brush with a tree. The fork makes perfect sense IMHO.

Re: riding on private property... duh?

In looking at these two together, I think I see a connection. If a landowner sees a rider on his property (without permission), is it going to be possible for him/her to see a 4" x 7" plate on the back of a bouncing dirt bike going like a BOOH, let alone identify the numbers and letters? I doubt it.

There is a bill going through the CA. state assembly that you should be aware of. AB 1086 will make it an infraction of the law to ride an OHV on private property without the owners written consent in your possession. The bill would also require an identification plate on the back of all motorcycles used for off road.

Thanks for the update. I only had a few minutes to read the link, but will read it in full later today. My first reaction is "but isn't it already illegal to ride on private property without the owners permission?" Does not sound like this covers anything new.

I also had to reread it to figure that out. The new law only says OWNER. The old law says owner and a couple of other possibilities.

Thanks for taking the time to read it!!

Keep informed and keep acitive

Brewster

A very brief read on this tells me the purpose of this bill is to make it easier for law enforcement officials to take enforcement action agains people riding on private property. Currenty, a cop finds you on private property, unless he had the property owner with him, the most he can do is tell you to leave. You can tell him you have permission at which point you are at an impass (sp?)... he probably doens't know who the owner is, and he's probably not going to go look for him, so the cop will probably tell you, "well, you shouldn't be here" and then go about his business.

Now, with this bill, you'll have to show written permission to ride on the private property. If you don't have it, he no longer has to know the owner of the property to take action against you... you've broken a law and are fair game.

Currently, you can only be prosecuted for trespassing if the owner desires prosecution, in which case it's a private person's arrest.... most landowners will say, "naw... I don't want to prosecute, just make 'em leave".

And yes, they want to put another "plate or device" on your bike...

And additional sneaky part of the bill is;

(:naughty: The fact that the property is not fenced or posted with signs identifying it as private property or indicating that off highway motor vehicles are not permitted on a trail is no a defencse to a charge of having violated subdivision (a).

Do you know how much of the property in the areas that we ride on is owned by rail road companies or logging companies and isn't posted?

Keep informed and active

Brewster

Over 60% of checkerboarded desert land is foriegn owned.If this goes thru forget about riding in the desert.Right now,penal code 602.2 says you can ride on private land as long as it`s not posted or fenced or next to housing.

If this passes, it will be one more step in wiping out our sport. Can someone post e-mail addresses of people in government we can write voicing our opposition to this bill? Also, spread the word if you go to other offroad websites.

If this passes, it will be one more step in wiping out our sport. Can someone post e-mail addresses of people in government we can write voicing our opposition to this bill? Also, spread the word if you go to other offroad websites.

Here's a web site to help you find your assembly-person;

http://www.sen.ca.gov/~newsen/senators/senators.HTP

On the left side of the screen, click on "Your Senator". Fill in your location. Your assemblyperson's name and contact information will be shown.

The most effective correspondence is a written letter.

Be sure to let them know that you are commenting on AB 1086.

Let them know that identification plates or devices used to be required to be on the back of the motorcycle but too many rear fenders were replaced. That's why the green/red sticker is on the fork tube.

Locating the property "Owner" could be very difficicult. Much of the area that we ride on is owned by logging companies, the rail road, and others. There is NO way of determining the property boundary lines without the property being posted at each border.

This bill is discriminatory in that it only applies to off highway motor vehicles. It does not include street licensed vehicles, bicycles, horses, pedestrians.

Keep active and informed...............or prepare to stop riding.

Brewster

This has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Did we not know already that we are not supposed to ride thorugh other peoples land? Come on California, before we know it there will be no more riding at all left in this state. I know that if I had a plate on my bike and I was an a**hole that likes to ride through other peoples land, I would surely let the land owner read my plate, right after he got a face full of WR/Bridgestone roost :naughty:

Brewster - thank's for the info. Usually I let "everyone else" do the dirty work, but this angers me enough that I will write a few letters. Keep us informed with any new info.

Even though the bill was already knocked down I recieved a letter from the senator for my district. It sounds like he wrote it, and actually cares. here it is.

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for writing me concerning Assembly Bill 1086 (Lieber), which would require (among other items) that the identification plate for motorcycles be seven inches by four inches, and for other vehicles twelve inches by six inches in size, and to be mounted on the front and rear of the vehicle. It also makes the provision that operating an Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) on private property regardless if it is or is not enclosed by fences is illegal, unless the OHV operator receives permission from the private property owner first.

These two requirements pose a problem from my perspective. The requirement that the identification plate be placed on the back of the OHV poses a potential problem when there is considerable proof that having the plate on the back is a safety hazard. Also, non-fenced property is especially difficult to recognize as private or public, especially when that land is in the desert where many OHV operators tend to go.

While AB 1086 is currently housed in the Assembly Committee on Water, Parks and Wildlife, I will still track this onerous piece of legislation as it progresses through the legislative process.

Please do not hesitate to contact me again regarding this or any other state matter.

Sincerely,

George C. Runner, Jr.

Senator, 17th District

[deleted