Sign in to follow this  

Only seal saver downside...

Took my seal savers off today, one ripped when my bike fell over (not saying much for their durability - or at least not much for my skill level :naughty: ) Anyway. Both of the metal lips around the fork seals had begun to show signs of rusting! Probably because when the porous savers get wet, they tend to hold the water in. Eeek. Had just ordered a new pair of SRC mudskins too (same material as seal savers). But decided to go back to the seemingly safer according style stick boots. Just food for thought.

Anyone want a good deal on a brand new pair of black mudskins? :naughty:

Those are cool. But I think would be same deal. Neopren lets in water, then holds it in until evaporates. Think thats the problem...

These just go on with velcro. When you're finished riding just wash them in soap and water, then let them dry. When you're ready to ride again just strap them on. They work great.

Try Shock Sox instead of SealSavers. http://www.krewmx.com/

The fork doesn't have to be taken off to install or remove them so keeping them clean and dry is a breeze. $27.95 shipped. :naughty::naughty:

Here's a pic.

YCXIX-shocksox.jpg

hmmm...might give those a try once my seal savers get ripped or something...until then im not really worried about a little rust.

:D

Two good points:

stonewall: didnt notice they were Velcro! much better

brainunangst: I just assumed rust was bad, esp in that area. Never considered the "dont worry about it" approach. Beuatifully simplistic solution!