Sign in to follow this  

XR250 vs. WR250

For a beginner looking at a used bike, what are the major differences between these 2 bikes, why would one be a better choice than the other, etc. Rider is 6'1, 175 lbs, 45 years old, no experience, for trail riding in Arizona desert.

Thanks!

The xr would be more relieable. It is also air cooled so you wont be damaging any radiators. If you just want to trail ride and not have to perform general maintainance that often then go with the xr.

The WR250 is more race minded. The maintenence schedule is a little more critical due to small oil resevoir. The bik etachs out at 13,000 RPM as opposed to 8000RPM (I think???). The WR is newer tachnology (short stroke/water cooled ).

The XR250 is heavier and less power, but friendlier for a rookie.

Both bikes can be ridden by a rookie, but a aggressive newbie will outgrow the XR in no time.

Depending on what you want to do. Both are very capable machines and proven for reliability. Both are very capable machines on the trail, but the WR can be ridden more successfully in the sand and steep fast hills.

The WR should be compared to the XR400 in terms of power. The technology is almost 10 years newer and the WR is a much faster better handling bike.

However, as stated above, the XR takes the WR in the area of reliability. So, if you want to spend more time riding than WRenching, then go XR, but if you need performance, go WR.

I ride an XR250, and my buddy rides a YZ250F -- not a WR, but similar. We swap occasionally. Here's my take:

The XR is super user friendly. It's easy to ride, incredibly forgiving, and pretty comfortable (my buddies call it "The Cadillac"). It will take me anywhere I have the skill or desire to go. The motor is very tractable. It will lug up any hill down to what feels like 30 RPM without stalling.

The YZ250F is an animal. It won't lug up hills a gear too high -- it stalls a lot easier. And if you get on the throttle, the thing rips! Rips as in my arms out of their sockets. It's definately built to go -- no putting around on this beast. My friend loves it, and he has the skill to use it. I would probably be a lot better on it with more time, but until then, I find it tiring and abusive.

Just my $.02

Hmmm. I think a WR250 and an XR250 weigh about the same - the newer WR with e-start is probably 5-7 pounds heavier than the XR (which is about 246 wet with no fuel).

- jeff

You can pass WR250F's in the tite easy on the XR

But in the open they pass you back

As a long time XR250R rider, whose brother has a WR250F, I couldn't have said it better :naughty:

:) does the xr really give up that much to the wr?

the WR runs a 77mm piston. gives the XR a 77mm(280cc) piston, you'll have a longer stroke and similar bore size compare to a WR. Revalve the suspension, the XR will rock you!

I ride a 1996 xr400, similar to the xr250, just more power. My friend who has absolutely no riding experience, rented a newer wr250. We rode for four hours, and by the end of the day, we switched, and he said he really preferred my xr4. I rode the wr, and found it to be very top heavy, and hard to keep from dropping in the sand. it just didn't feel comfortable or friendly in the desert rock/sandy area we were in. The e-start was a nice novelty, but, guess what, it was broken and didn't work(big surprise), and it was a royal pain to start that thing with the kicker-because it flooded so easily. The rental guy said that the dang wr gets dropped three times as often as the XR400 he also rents out. I used to covet guys on the wr250s, now, I just covet thy guys with more mods on their xr400 than me :)

buy the xr250, or, even better, a xr4.

My friend who has absolutely no riding experience, rented a newer wr250. We rode for four hours, and by the end of the day, we switched, and he said he really preferred my xr4.

A rousing endorsement for the XR! From such a great source! A rental WR vs someone's own XR4. That seems like a fair comparison.

As an owner of both an XR250 and a WR250F, I can say that there is not much comparison. I keep my XR around for buddies that I take riding. If I had to choose only one, the XR would be up for sale, not the WR.

Honda has been trying to kill the XR's for quite a while: no upgrades and now, trying to keep it as a 2004 model. If they had kept up a minor investment in improvements, it would be much more comparable to newer designs. Unfortunately, they will eventually kill it through neglect.

My take on the maintenance issues, is that the "new wisdom" about high maintenance four stroke 250's applies to the CRF250R/X. My WR is no more maintenance than my XR.

I was thinkin about the 284 kit from XRs only for my 250 and i was wondering how much power i would gain

1997 XR250; Xrs only exhaust, rejet, uncorked, kn airfilter

I was thinkin about the 284 kit from XRs only for my 250 and i was wondering how much power i would gain

1997 XR250; Xrs only exhaust, rejet, uncorked, kn airfilter

After a lot of reading and looking, I went with the 277 kit (not really a kit. I purchased a Wiseco piston, gaskets, valve stem seals, etc separately). It's only a few cc's smaller than the 284 and it leaves you one more overbore down the road. I installed a Hotcams Cam at the same time and port matched and polished the ports so I don't know how much of a difference the piston alone made but I know the package made a huge difference. On one knarly hill before the upgrade I would be lugging in 3rd at the top and now I'm in 4th with throttle to go.

I would do it again in a minute.

Here are the part numbers for the parts I used (thank Mar for posting in his FAQ)

Everything I have read from Hotcams and other bulletin boards all stated that the stock rockers and valve springs work great with the Hotcams cam and I did not change them out.

The Wiseco piston part number I used is 4466M07700.

Hotcams part# 1006-1.

Honda valve stem seal part# 12209-GB4-681 qty. 4.

Cometic top end kit# C7146.

Honda head cover gasket part# 1391-KR6-010.

without a doubt that JE piston is of higher quality than a wiseco, i compared them side by side. not running a wiseco piston, so do not know of any performance difference.

you'll be happy with 277 or 284, but i'll suggest not to bore it unless your cylinder is scratched. use your money on the suspension if you'd not got it sorted. its worth every single cent.

FYI - the J & E piston is lighter than the wiseco and, I have heard, is higher quality too.

- jeff

Interesting. I did a search before I went with the Wiseco and the great majority of the information I could find posted by people who seemed to have a reputable post history stated the Wiseco was a much better piston. I found some posts stating piston failure with the J&E under racing situations but no failures with the Wiseco. I made a couple phone calls to a few people I know in the industry (some of which are well known) and they stated the Wiseco was the much better choice.

It's just what I found when making my decision.