WR250 vs. XR 250

For a beginner looking at a used bike, what are the major differences between these 2 bikes, why would one be a better choice than the other, etc. Rider is 6'1, 175, 45 years old, no experience riding dirt bikes. Purpose is for trail riding in the Arizona desert. (also posted on Honda board).

Thanks!

I owned a '94 XR250 before I bought my '02 WR250. I thought I liked my XR. Well, I love my WR(that is after I did some of the free mods). I can do so much more on it. For one thing, it's like a rocket compared to the XR--it's much more snappy. The suspension is a lot better also--I can actually jump it. It's added a whole new dimension to dirtbike riding. I would never go back to the XR.

No way, there is no point of comparison between this two bikes. XR is a good bike for learning, but WR is a great bike for riding. It is like comparing an old Volks Wagen Beetle, which is pretty reliable, but never as fast and with such a high performance as a new Porshe 911. Just think about it, even today's XR technology was developed more than a decade ago, while today's WR tech is still being re-designed and engineered today.

I rode XR's for years and now have a WR250, and there is a world of difference in power and weight. The WR has a much higher fun factor.

The trade off is that the WR has a racing engine, and therefore requires religious dedication to maintenance, in comparison to the XR. Change the oil every other ride, the air filter every ride, and check the valves twice a year. These are simple things, but you MUST do them.

The XR on the other hand, is nearly bulletproof. You just pay for the reliability with less power and more weight.

If you don't mind a little extra maintenance, then definitely go for the WR. I think it's worth it.

There is one thing I forgot to say, and which I think is very important for a beginner. XR doesn't have a radiator, while WR does. Radiators happen to be one of the most expensive parts to replace, while at the same time they are easy to get damaged or even broken every time you fall. So, this is a particular recommendation on your budget.

Interesting question. I started riding 4 years ago at the age of 39, no previous experience in the dirt although I did ride street. Rode an '98 XR250 for 2 years and for the last 2 year I've been riding the WR250F. If I was to do it again what would I do... :naughty: Well, firstly I should say that I ride mountain trails and some desert which seems somewhat in line with your intent. Looking back, it seems I quickly reached a point on the XR250 where I wanted more; more acceleration, more power, more snap so I could pop over downed logs etc with ease.

My recommendation would be if you consider yourself the type who will push yourself to get better then go with a WR250F. You may feel a little intimidated at first by the performance of the WR250F but you will quickly learn to love it, once you come off of it a few time :naughty:

I say go for the XR!!...and no,I do not ride a honda....I did own a TTR250 a couple years back, and it was a pretty sweet bike. But it did not have an optional kickstart....bummer!! ......I believe his point/question was a simple reliable easy too ride bike!!

Here is the original post...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240072&parentpage=8

I bought my first "serious" bike early 04 (being an 03WR250) after riding several other makes and models belonging to other people including XR250s. I'm 5'8, 170lb and 40years old.

My philosophy was that I wanted a bike that was far better than my present (and possibly future) capability, so thus making me a better rider. Suspension, power etc just dont compare and now 12 months later I'm blasting around the tracks like the bike is part of me. I ride with some XR250 riders and every now and then swap bikes for fun - they come back with smiles on their face... not me!!

Another way of looking at it: if you want to jump on a WR and ride it like an XR and just chug around.. you can. However you cant jump on an XR and expect to ride it like a WR - just not possible.

If you have the cash, get a WR - you wont be sorry in days to come.

I was in the same situation as you. I had never ridden a dirt bike ever. At 38 I was a little intimidated with getting the WR. Let me tell you it was the best decision I made. First ride it in its stock form..get used to the feel of the bike. It's a very easy bike to ride. As you get better you can start doing the free mod's. Get the YZF exhaust..Get a good set of tires as the ones that come stock are junk..Get a good set of radiator guards if you're like me I crashed a lot! but if you're not crashing you're not learning!

The bike is great because there are so many aftermarket options..so it's a bike you can keep for years. I just put a rekluse clutch and the hotcams exhaust cam in mine...

I rode my buddies XR and he rode mine..he was blown away..so much so that he's getting a WR too.

the xr is waaaaayyyyy easier to learn on. the seat is 3 inches lower. it is super super reliable. after a year you will wan the wr. i own both. that xr is a killer hill climber, like a tractor and it super steep technical situations you can put a foot down for balance and hit the ground with it. not so on the wr. the wr will slap blow the xr away for suspension and power but the xr is a great learner bike. if her has not ridden at all i'd say get the xr. I OWN BOTH. i love them both too.

i would go with the wr. since you can ride it like an xr to learn how to ride but when you want that extra snap that the xr doesn't have it is there. you would also be saving youself some money by getting the wr to be gain with instead of buying the xr riding that for a year wanting more and then having to buy another bike.

I say go for the XR!!...and no,I do not ride a honda....I did own a TTR250 a couple years back, and it was a pretty sweet bike. But it did not have an optional kickstart....bummer!! ......I believe his point/question was a simple reliable easy too ride bike!!

Here is the original post...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240072&parentpage=8

the wr also comes with a kick starter as well as the eletric start. so i still say go with the wr because i think that you will have much more fun on the wr then on the xr.

Don't be afraid of the WR/YZ. After a few times out on it you won't be intimidated at all. A XR is a puss bike and really only for people that are really small IMO. You'll grow out of an XR in no time and regret not going straight to a WR or YZF. BTW a TTR is a better comparison to an XR250. The CRF and YZF/WR are in the same field.

Don't be afraid of the WR/YZ. After a few times out on it you won't be intimidated at all. A XR is a puss bike and really only for people that are really small IMO. You'll grow out of an XR in no time and regret not going straight to a WR or YZF. BTW a TTR is a better comparison to an XR250. The CRF and YZF/WR are in the same field.

O...K.....I guess it is Friday night!...

:naughty::naughty:

Here is the original post's..

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240072&parentpage=

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241738&parentpage=2

"puss bike"..."really small IMO." :naughty: Did You not Read the first part of the thread???..