I'm going to make one last attempt to fix the leaking water pump!!

As you guys read in earlier posts, I had the dealer repair it first under warranty, it failed after a few hundred miles. I then did the RTV fix, once again, it only went a few hundred miles. Now I decided to give it one last try. This time I ordered ALL of the replaceable parts for the water pump, and I am going to replace them all, and do the RTV fix. If all of that doesn't work, I will then give up, and just keep adding anti-freeze :naughty: . One question though. I don't really remember what it looked like in there. In the kit from Ron Ayers (http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0313/water_pump/water_pump.cfm?man=su&groupid=1640&parent=1610) (I ordered part #1), it looks like the backing plate for the water pump is included. I know there are bearings and seals pressed in. Are those in the backing plate, or the cranckcase cover itself? In other words, am I going to have to remove all of the old seals and replace them with new ones, or do I just put all the new parts in place, and hang on to all of the old parts as spares with the seals mounted in them? Thanks in advance.....I will probably get the parts in a week or so. I will do the repair shortly thereafter b/c I am too aggravated to ride it now! :naughty:

NOTE! Make sure to let the RTV dry for at least 24 hours before adding coolant :naughty:

Info here http://drz.info/drz/

Leaking Water Pump

Many people have had a problem with a leaking water pump on their DRZ400. Replacing parts almost always fails to solve the problem. The problem is a design flaw, not a blown seal. The water pump leak can be fixed with a little RTV. RTV stands for room temperature vulcanizing; it's a generic term for a silicone adhesive/sealant. Permatex is one company that makes RTV. Any brand or color RTV is fine. All you have to do is put a tiny bit of RTV at the base of the (rubber part) seal between the impeller and seal where it meets the shaft. In other words apply RTV to this seal to make it fit the impeller shaft tighter. Make sure to let the RTV dry for at least 24 hours before adding coolant.

Thanks,

Last time I waited 24 hours. This time I will wait for 2 days instead. I may also use a little more RTV, I think I went a little light on the RTV, it didn't seep out at all. I think I should put more, so it seeps out a little. I also noticed that the impeller had light groove marks on the shaft,I am wondering if maybe there is a little play on the bearings or something. It felt tight, but I decided to change all the parts while I'm in there.

Thanks,

I also noticed that the impeller had light groove marks on the shaft,I am wondering if maybe there is a little play on the bearings or something.

I just did the same fix on my bike this week, and noticed the impeller shaft on mine had very light groove marks on it too. So, this may be common wear... I guess I'll see after the next 100 miles if it leaks or not.