Utah skidplate and CFC engine guards - lessons learned

Today while tackling a particularly harsh dry creek bed I dumped my DRZ-S in a pile of 1 foot boulders. The impact was on the left side and it ripped the CFC guard right off the engine case. The guard did do it's job - there is a major dent in the guard but the case has only a minor score. I think the impact was pretty hard and it was kind of a prying/shearing wack. One problem was the RTV adhesive was not cured at all on the inside. I guess it did not get enough water from the air before the outer parts of the bond line cured - it's been a week since I put them on. I'd say only half of the area was cured. I'm in the desert and maybe I need to supplement the cure somehow.

The Utah skidplate did NOT protect this area because it does not extend out far enough. If you are using a Utah skidplate make sure it extends well outside the plane of the case so it takes the brunt of a fall. It's not difficult to shape this area of the plate with a hammer (beat it out).

I decided to make a 4.5" by 3.5" extension to the skidplate that rises another 1.5" to really cover the lower part of the leftside case. I made it tonight out of 0.09" thick Titanium and it's really strong and stiff. I'm impressed with titanium. I'm attaching it with eight 10/32 button head screws in holes tapped in the Skidplate, backed with locknuts.

It goes without saying that your case would have been seriously whacked if that guard wasn't there....Those guards are pretty cheap compared to the alternative huh? Glad they worked for you! :naughty:

Skid plate story noted :naughty:

Kind of strange that the RTV did not cure :naughty: I used 3M HD spray adhesive to mount my CFC's. Lots of guys said not to but if Colorado did'nt tear them off then nothing will. You have to prep them correctly and allow the glue to cure on both surfaces before placement, those babies are on for the duration. As for your skid plate , I have heard that tale over and over and think that your plate protects the water pump well but leaves the rest a bit in the open. I have heard many storys of those plate bending really bad so be careful adding leverage and be sure to place the nuts in a place that will not allow them to contact the mag cover if it does take another big blow. Lets see some pics of the Ti upgrade :naughty:

The only skidplate I've seen so far that looked like it provided good coverage that far out is unabiker's CF one. Just waiting for it to be dialed in and go into production myself.

I live in a really dry place and I think the RTV needs water from the air to cure - I think the interior got sealed off from the air. When it pushed up it caught on the starter cove and that part of the guard got bent into a right angle.

The Guard did protect the case!

I used 3M HD spray adhesive to mount my CFC's.
The difference here is your guard is pretty much in contact with the case - good points and bad points to that I suppose. With a really good thin bond the properties of that double wall would be far greater than the sum of the two components.

All aluminum seems a little soft to me after playing with the titanium. I agree there will be more leverage on the plate with an extension. I made the addition pretty wide and deep to "fishplate" the aluminum in the hopes that would add stiffness to the whole. The screws are at least a 3/4" away from the mag case or anything else important. In any case it's best to allow the plate to absorb most of the impact energy even if it does get pushed to the case - I've seen what pointly rocks do!

I'll post (or at least try to post) some pics tonight or soon.

I used 3M HD spray adhesive to mount my CFC's. Lots of guys said not to but if Colorado did'nt tear them off then nothing will. You have to prep them correctly and allow the glue to cure on both surfaces before placement, those babies are on for the duration.

Most contact cements I've used lose their properties when heated up - Is the 3M product heat resistant? These case don't get that hot but still it must be at least 150F.

I have not had a problem with my guards coming loose at all. I think the HD 3m spray is a high temp stuff. They have been on through some knarly stuff and not budged at all so i'm pretty convinced . My skid plate really protects the side cases though, and that gives me a a little safty net . I don't really worry about the side cases breaking or even getting contacted for that matter. :naughty:

The only skidplate I've seen so far that looked like it provided good coverage that far out is unabiker's CF one. Just waiting for it to be dialed in and go into production myself.
The Lightspeed / Suzuki / DSP CF stuff does a good job...... Though at higher cost.
Mojave, sounds like you should be the hard luck winner for the week! :naughty:

If you want to send me an PM with your address, we will send you a replacement sidecase shield. Is it the magneto side?

Thanks for using our product,

Tom

CFC Offroad Inc

Wow now thats a really sweet offer, you da man. :naughty:
Mojave, sounds like you should be the hard luck winner for the week! :D

If you want to send me an PM with your address, we will send you a replacement sidecase shield. Is it the magneto side?

Tom

CFC Offroad Inc

Now THAT is customer service :naughty::D:D

I have CFCs and it's nice to know they come from such good people :naughty:

Fordy2dr Mojave, sounds like you should be the hard luck winner for the week!

Tom

CFC Offroad Inc

Fantastic! I'll take you up on your offer. I already put the bent and battered one back on because I'm going right back out this weekend and I want that guard there.

Thanks Tom,

Randy

Here's a picture of the CFC mag guard after impact. note where it was bent when it pushed up against another engine part. I'll have to pry it back off when my new one arrives :naughty:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/mojav/CFCmag.jpg

Here's the titanium extension to the Utah skidplate. It stands off of the CFC plate by at least 1/4". It looks a little thin (it's 0.088" thick) but it is extremely stiff. If something bends it will be the aluminum. You can see the battered CFC guard back in place, ready to defend against sharp pointy things

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/mojav/MCskid.jpg

I'm rebuilding a DRZ that I bought for a song and the clutch cover has already been cracked and filled but it's still weeping slightly. I'm going to buy another cover but I'm DEFINITELY buying some of those CFC guards as we've got nothing like that here in Oz and I'm prone to dropping my dirtbikes often as I'm such a short arse.

Hope their delivery is fast!