Factory Dualsport or Kit?

Choices! Factory 400exc DS $7000. Regular 400exc is $6400. Is the factory DS worth $600 more or is it better to get a kit & do it yourself?

Check with Cycle Zone in Topeka, KS. I got my factory DS kit there a couple of years ago, and I think I paid about $350 or so. The install is very easy too.

BTW; - The factory DS kit has been very durable & reliable. It's been through much, including a few enduros and it all works just like the day I installed it. Quality stuff from KTM. Plus, it looks like it belongs on the bike, as opposed to some of the quick slap-on DS kits out there.

Check with Cycle Zone in Topeka, KS. I got my factory DS kit there a couple of years ago, and I think I paid about $350 or so. The install is very easy too.
The kit is now @$435. With the dollar v. euro on the parts he has to get imported the price is up.

Trick duel sport in cal. has the best duelsport kit

It isn't that bad a deal if he installs the whole thing and gets it titled & plated and offers insurance before it leaves the shop. Saves a lot of time getting it out on the road. Here in Texas we have to get paperwork, approved inspection, insurance and then wait for a plate if it doesn't come from a dealer. Did my own on 450EXC and 625 SXC using minimum basic available parts [converted to intent of law if not to actual legality]. Cost less than $75 but took a lot of time and effort.

I've done my own in the past, but I got my latest bike with the Factory Dual-Sport Kit (FDSK) on it... I only paid a couple hundred dollars more to get a bike with the FDSK, and I'd do it again.

The components on the FDSK, are of higher quality than the parts in the Baja Designs kit, and the installation is cleaner. For a bike that's going to be used on the street on a regular basis, I think the FDSK is the way to go because it works like any other street bike that I have.

If you're just looking for minimum comliance to get plated and be legal from trail to trail, then I think an all-in-one kit like Trick or Electrex would be an option as well.

Just recently put a "TRICK DUAL SPORT" kit on my KTM 250 EXC/RFS. Easy installation, looks great, easy to ask for and get quick support replies. No regrets.

I just put a trick dualsport kit on 05 450 exc along with a fold down mirror and rear micro turn signals and a license plate holder from Enduro Engineering. I will tell you that you will not get the service that Dale from Trick dualsport gives to every customer, It is unbelievable. He called me 10 minutes after I wrote him an e-mail to answer my question (I live in Michigan and Dale in California). The kit looks great, works great. My choice of rear turn signals is much smaller than KTM signals and very bright when they are on and the fronts are built right in the headlight mask. I also debated about what to do and I am not sorry I went this route.

Baja Designs in San Marcos, California sells a quality kit. I like to buy a kit that allows me to decide which signals I want to use. For example: I used "mini flush" on the rear. They are not large enough to hit the ground if I drop the bike yet bright enough for Jonny Law if he is in a good mood. Baja Designs stands behind the product too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Ponch
      I have a 2007 450 EXC that I recently installed a new clutch slave cylinder on. Per the 2007 KTM service manual it clearly states that the clutch needs to be filled with hydraulic oil, which I did (magura blood). That was yesterday. I went out to double check the level today and when I removed the cover, the rubber seal was all contorted and out of shape. I then looked at the cover and it's a Brembo clutch and says "DOT 4 brake fluid only".
      I flushed the line and the master cylinder about 7 times with DOT 4 brake fluid and there was no sign of the magura blood left in the system. My question is: other than the rubber boot on the master cylinder, what damage might have been done by putting in the hydraulic oil? It was in for about 24 hours.
      Thanks in advance for any advice!
    • By pumpernickelBrad
      Hi Folks!

Sorry if there are a bunch of threads already but I used the site's search function and didn't find anything so far...

I just found a decent deal on a '14 350 EXC-F with 11k km (unknown hours). Has a few goodies including skid plate, hand guards and it's for sale for about $2k CAD less than a '16 with 6k km on it.
      The bike is in showroom condition (appearance) with no indication it has been offroad at all.

What would be the gotchas that would make this deal realistic? I'm coming from a WR250R where the engine lasts forever, is 11k street kms high for these bikes? 
      Are there any big defects in the '14s that I haven't dug up yet?
      With no service records what things should be done, checked, etc?
    • By Brannnt
      I purchased an '06 525 EXC some time ago, and recently pulled the motor out of the frame to address some other issues. When I removed the clutch slave cylinder, I noticed an issue the previous owner neglected to tell me about during the purchase.
      It appears that at some point, the chain broke and damaged the engine case near the clutch slave cylinder (see pics, please). I have noticed that the clutch does not fully disengage (bike lurches a bit going into gear, neutral is hard to find... its worse when engine is cold) ... I did not notice any leaks around this area (mineral oil or engine oil) before or during disassembly. 
      The previous owner (or someone) repaired it with some sort of epoxy.
      Without doing my due diligence (checking clutch fluid level, bleeding) I hesitate to state that this is the cause of my clutch disengagement issue ... but pardon my ignorance here and help me out: How bad is this?  Am I looking at replacing my engine case here or is the previous owner's jerry rig good enough?

• By Black Sox
      Just bought a new 2017 350 excf ,will be doing 98% off road ,ordered skid plate bark busters ,
      my ? Is what's the best easiest way to eliminate rear fender light assembly.I still would like to have a break light.
      xcf fender will fit so dealer says,under $50.00 👍But xcf brake light $125.00 .👎What's the best economical way of doing this?
    • By JNV
      Hi friends from Spain.
      Mi new KTM