Sign in to follow this  

Moto GP

Hell yeah! I've been there for World Superbike every year for the past six years - no way in Hell I'm missing this. I'll be in my usual camping spot above turn 5 from Thursday through Monday :naughty:

94 days, 15 hours and 7 minutes to go!

Oh yeah! Got my "flag room" weekend pass and we are riding the mountain roads all the way down! It works out to be about 2500 miles of twisties :naughty: OMG. I'm taking two weeks off from work to make it worth while. See you in Monterey with some serious monkey butt!

Did you guys see the article (in Sport Rider I think) where they were talking to Colin Edwards and Nikki Hayden about the Moto GP at Laguna? One of them mentioned how the Moto GP bikes were going to be hitting turn 1 at about 10-15 mph faster than any Superbikes had hit it before, and that should be interesting to say the least!!! I wonder if we're going to see some airborne crossed-up action!! :naughty:

Did you guys see the article (in Sport Rider I think) where they were talking to Colin Edwards and Nikki Hayden about the Moto GP at Laguna? One of them mentioned how the Moto GP bikes were going to be hitting turn 1 at about 10-15 mph faster than any Superbikes had hit it before, and that should be interesting to say the least!!! I wonder if we're going to see some airborne crossed-up action!! :naughty:

You mean like how the 500GP bikes used to carry the front wheel down the corkscrew, even while the riders were transfering from left to right turn :D

Oh, and I wish I could make it to the race. But it's just not in the cards this year. :naughty:

I wonder if we're going to see some airborne crossed-up action!! :naughty:

I think that was a concern, thats why they changed the outside wall at turn 1... I think :naughty: .

I'm there! Went up for the Superbike races in '03, and it was amazing. Friends who have seen MotoGP in Europe say it's on a whole 'nuther level as a sensory experience. :naughty::naughty:

Got my three-day passes and paddock passes, and a room in Carmel. Got my Rossi paddock shirt. Riding up from the LA area Friday, taking all the backroads on the way. :D

J

I think that was a concern, thats why they changed the outside wall at turn 1... I think :naughty: .

Yep, they have performed major changes all around the track to make it FIM-friendly. The wall outside turn one and the turn 9 foot-bridge supports were two of the biggest concerns.

I'm so excited I'm about to pee my pants, this is going to be better than the WSB I went to in 02'... KILLER!

I am working on getting some tickets. I have never been to Laguna Seca before. Should be fun. I will be flying in from AZ. Where is a good place to stay?

Someone throw an extra 6-pk in thier cooler for me. :naughty:

:naughty:

I am working on getting some tickets. I have never been to Laguna Seca before. Should be fun. I will be flying in from AZ. Where is a good place to stay?

The best places to stay, IMO, are on main street in Monterey. The bike action in the evenings on the main street is one of the best parts of the whole Laguna Seca experience. Main street is known as Cannery Row, because there used to be a lot of seafood cannery operations there. Here's a link with info about Cannery Row and hotels:

http://www.canneryrow.com/

The second choice for a place to stay is the Embassy Suites hotel that's near the racetrack. Lots of the riders stay there, and my kids love the high-rise atmosphere with the indoor atrium layout. Here's a link, but I kind of doubt that they have any rooms left for the GP.

http://www.embassysuites.com/en/es/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=MRYESES

If you haven't been to a MotoGP race before, don't forget the earplugs for your kids...and maybe you too. The noise put out by the new 4-stroke engines, even running the "big bang" configuration, is deafening!!! You can feel it through your whole body... These bikes make WSBK bikes sound like they're running electric engines. :naughty:

Virtually all the tickets have sold out and hotels are getting tough to find too. I didn't know until recently that I'll be back in the States then, so never bothered to order tickets.

Hope y'all have a great time!

Cheers,

Mac

Someone throw an extra 6-pk in thier cooler for me. :naughty:

:naughty:

Good luck finding something within an hour drive of the track… we are having to stay in San Jose! I’m not complaining, it will be worth every minute.

I may have a room available in Monterrey at some regular chain hotel for Fri, Sat, Sun at $ 260 + fees, per night.

Don't know how I can transfer a reservation though.