Product review "Quiet is Cool Baffle"

I recently Uncorked my XR250R. The difference in power is substantial after removing the stock baffle. However more power equaled more noise, but there is a solution.

I wanted to tone it down some without loosing my new found power so I visited this website www.quietiscool.com for a baffle. I found the design of their baffle to be interesting as it could be tuned to desired performance and sound levels by simply trimming down the length of the pipe.

I normally ride between 5000 -7000 ft. above sea level, so preserving power was paramount. The Quiet is Cool Baffle did a great job reducing noise levels to a tolerable level and at a price that is 1/3 the price of other after market baffles $34.95

Fit and finish was as good as anything else I have seen. Customer service was very good, to the extent that Tom the owner included a Special Shorty Performance Baffle he was testing out so I could compare the two for sound Vs. performance.

Both baffles performed well with only slight differences in power. The only difference in sound was a deeper tone from the Shorty Baffle Vs. a sharper but quieter tone from his Standard Baffle.

There was a lot less Volume of Noise with either Baffle.

-This is a great product at a great price and deserves consideration when shopping for a baffle. :naughty:

Billy V

This needs to test out at 96db to be good enough for forest service land and California. It doesn't look to me like it could. Does it?

It isn't clear whether the baffle can incorporate some kind of fiberglass packing. Based on what I see, the baja designs or vortip will flow more with less noise output.

- jeff

I Wish I Had A Nickle For Every Dollar I've Wasted. This Would Have Been Good Info. To Have 4 Months Ago When I Layed Down $300+ For A Wb Pipe.

Whiskey, The Wb E Series Is Quiet But Has Great Power Gains And Is Tuneable With Removeable Disks. It's All In What You Want,need, And She Will Let You Buy.

When I had my 96 XR250 tested without the stock insert, it passed 96db easily. So, it sounds reasonable that the quietiscool baffle would work fine. Anything you stick in the end is better than leaving it uncorked. Why waste your money for something 2-3x more money? You already ride a tractor.

When I had my 96 XR250 tested without the stock insert, it passed 96db easily. So, it sounds reasonable that the quietiscool baffle would work fine. Anything you stick in the end is better than leaving it uncorked. Why waste your money for something 2-3x more money? You already ride a tractor.

-This is an accurate statement.

In addition to the already legal sound level, Quiet is Cool baffle doesn't seem to cause any diminishing effects on power.

Although I don't disagree that you passed a sound test - I disagree that you will actually be able to pass a properly administered sound test with the baffle pulled and spark arrestor in place.

If you pull the stock baffle out and leave in the spark arrestor - you will be making about 99db. The baja baffle puts you at or below 96 db. Again, based on what I see, you wouldn't be able to pass a sound test on either forest service land or on california state land with a "quiet is cool" baffle.

The vendor lists a db reduction - they need to list an absolute number.

The baja baffle costs more and is worth it - it is stainless steel and has four "flutes" of different lengths and diameters. This converts one big thump into three-four smaller thumps that are shifted in phase - you get noise cancellation happening.

- jeff

Although I don't disagree that you passed a sound test - I disagree that you will actually be able to pass a properly administered sound test with the baffle pulled and spark arrestor in place.

If you pull the stock baffle out and leave in the spark arrestor - you will be making about 99db. The baja baffle puts you at or below 96 db. Again, based on what I see, you wouldn't be able to pass a sound test on either forest service land or on california state land with a "quiet is cool" baffle.

- jeff

I'd like to address your point about sound testing procedures and stating an absolute DB number.

The vendor does offer a rather complete description with pictures on his website as to his testing methods.

Go Here:

http://quietiscool.com/_wsn/page5.html

Furthermore the bike he is testing in the above mentioned pictures is clearly a Honda XR, although not formally stated in the print.

He goes on to state the parameters of the test as well as the specific testing equipment used to determine the DB measurement which is visible in picture #5.

The measured DB for that particular bike is 92 DB.

Hmm.. Nice web page.

Notice that the pipe on the bike is not a stock honda pipe. :naughty:

Try again.

Again...

1. Vendor needs to state absolute number and guarantee it will pass sound test for U.S.F.S. and california.

2. It is either loud or more restrictive than a baja baffle or vortip. You choose which, but you can't choose both. :naughty:

-jeff

- jeff

Using your own numbers, try to follow the mathematics.

This is a Cut and Paste from www.quietiscool.com

It can be found under the "Products" tab and is written in Bold Red Print.

NOISE REDUCTION EXPECTATIONS

(Using standard 20-inch test)

-WR 250/450 QUIETIP 6-8db

-XR 250/400 QUIETIP 4-5db

-E-SERIES Q-SHIELD 4-5db

-CRF 230 QUIETIP 2-3db

-E-SERIES QUIETIP 2-3db

You have stated that by pulling the stock baffle and leaving the stock spark arrestor the DB level would be at 99 DB, then the further reduction from the Quiet Tip which as stated on the website is another 4-5 DB. This will put the DB @ 94-95 DB which is Legal.

99DB - 4DB = 95DB Legal

99DB - 5DB = 94DB Legal

It makes perfect sense that an after market exhaust can with any amount of packing will register even less.

Hence the 92DB measurement you see on the website.

I haven't actually run a sound test on the stock pipe with the baffle out - my guess is that 99 decibels is the minimum amount - it could be and probably is more. If it's 100.5 dB => 100.5 db - 4 db = 96.5 dB Illegal

When I said "based on what I see" - what I meant was the size of the passage on this baffle. With that big a hole - it's gonna be loud, unless it is long enough to start running into the front end of the spark arrestor, then it's gonna get restrictive. The only way we could truly come to a solution on this "argument" is to do a sound test and a dyno run for each configuration. (stock versus baja versus this baffle).

The design of the baja baffle or the vortip is unique and superior to this baffle. If you really want to save some money, just drill some holes in the stock baffle and be done with it - if you want the best performance at 96 db - baja baffle or vortip in the stock pipe.

- jeff

The baffle inserts fairly deep into the stock spark arrestor. It comes close to the back of the arrestor, as I recall it was about an inch away from touching the back. (I don't have the bike at this house so I can't say for sure or I would measure it.)

(It could be cut down if performance loss was an issue, but I don't think it will be.)

At my altitude performance was a concern, I said this to Tom. He responded by offering to send me an Experimental Shorty Tip along with the one I purchased. It just barely inserts into the arrestor and has a turn down tip. The interesting thing I noticed after testing both tips was performance was virtually the same.

It still forces the exhaust gasses entering the spark arrestor to make an "S" bend before exiting the exhaust tip. That in conjunction with a turned down tip works quite well.

I'd gladly test the tip if I come across a ranger and would accurately report my findings here.

I mostly ride the Carson Valley Nevada. The Pine Nut Mountain range. As well as the Mountain Passes of the Sierras. Ebbetts Pass, Monitor Pass, etc. Rangers are scarce, but I wanted to be Quiet anyway.

-He does test these things before he states the Noise Reduction Expectations. His Mission Statement under the Philosophy Tab seems to say it all.

http://quietiscool.com/_wsn/page2.html

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished uncorking my bike yesterday. I won't get my 135 main jet to tomorrow. My bike certainly has quite a bark without that stupid pea shooter. I now have the choice of stealthy or healthy exhaust notes. I noticed a power increase but also a larger hesitation which the jetting should clear up. I don't have to worry about passing california laws. I do want to cut down on this bark without a power loss. Also, since this is only 35 dollars it is more feasible. Theres no way i want to pay 90 for a baffle. Maybe you could record a sound bite between all three, uncorked, quietiscool baffle, stock baffle. That way we could get an unbias opinion.

I emailed these guys and they responded it notime. They said with the baffle out it will pass 96 decibils with the 20 inch test. They also said it should bring the bike down to 90 decibles. Another note, for my email I put in the name bob the builder, and thats how it shows up in peoples inboxes. When they responded they were like "dear bob,". It took me like 10 seconds to figure out but it cracked me up. :naughty:

I agree that 90 seems to be pushing it. However, have you heard the baffle? Than I guess you can't make that statement can you? Not to be a jerk I'm just avoiding stereotypes. Now if they told me it should pass around 90 then I would assume that it should have no problems clearing 96. They can't be that far off. And I don't really care about 96 decibles, I'm not in California.... I just want to take some bark out of it now. I think they'll have my purchase when I buy a new baffle...

Anyone try the WB slip over for sale on the Quiet is Cool page? I have been searching for a used stock silencer for my 02 XR250R, with no luck. I have the E2 and it is too loud, even with only 5 discs, and with 8 or more it is really loud. :naughty:

I live in WV, the strict noise mandates havent made it East yet (well, to WV that is), but even so, I want a quieter bike. (I cant hear my son on his CRF50F as we ride) In fact you guys in California, or even Virginia (ha ha) would drop your jaws :D to witness the "Mad Max" experience of trail riding here, (lack of laws/law enforcement, and vast, tight, and technical woodlands we have to ride in). It is nothing to see a caravan of ATV's, dirtbikes, or whatever cross a four lane and head into the woods. Call us rednecks, but if you live for off road, this is "almost heaven". :naughty: