Degreaser better than Simple Green?

Hi TT'ers,

I just bought a used Honda XR650R and it has dryed up caked on oil and dirt on the chain, countershaft sproket and part of the frame.

I want to clean it up.

What's the best degreaser to get this crap off there? What's better than Simple Green?

Gas? :naughty:

Not gas. Kerosene and a brush. But I'd use Simple Green myself. Spray it on full strength, let soak, brush and rinse. Should work.

Sounds weird...I know, but Resolve Carpet Cleaner is amazing. I've tried Simple Green, S100, K&L Cycle Wash, etc. and Resolve is my favorite cleaner now.

Yep, that sounds weird. Unless you have a shag seat cover?

Resolve eh?

That's whacked, but I'll try it. :naughty:

Depends what your looking to accomplish. Simple Green is enviro friendly :naughty: and non toxic :D . The gasoline, kerosene resolve and s-100 are not :D . If your concerned with what you are putting down the drains, into the bushes and into the environment, use simple green, if you don't care and would rather save the 3 minutes a solvent will save you :naughty: , use the others.

Brake cleaner cleans everything..........and fast!

Not too good for the environment though.

:naughty:

Wal-mart and Autozone carry this stuff called PURPLE POWER. I have found it works pretty good.

I agree with the statement about enviro freindly cleaners. Who really wants to kill all the grass where they washed their bike anyway.

Castrol super clean. We use it at my shop and it is great. WE get it in 50 gal concentrated. Just make sure you don't get the concentrated on your skin. It burns like crazy.

I use simple green and a hose to get the dirt off and brake cleaner to get the oil and grim that simple can't get off.

Not sure if they still sell it, but Autozone used to carry Simple Green "Automotive" which will break down grease and the like, regular simple green works great on dirt and thats about all, "automotive" stuff is like the big bad older brother of normal Simple Green.

Gastrol Super Clean, Purple power will work, but be careful, they will etch the rims, or any shinny aluminum.

mineral spirits, or any product with sodium metasilicate,

I prefer oil based products to degrease, water based products like simple green can start the rusting process on metal.

Not sure if they still sell it, but Autozone used to carry Simple Green "Automotive" which will break down grease and the like, regular simple green works great on dirt and thats about all, "automotive" stuff is like the big bad older brother of normal Simple Green.

That stuff rocks. Simpe Green also has a motorcycle version in a very similar branded bottle, smells and acts the same as far as I can tell as the auto stuff. When regular SG doesn't work I whip this stuff out. I could do without the Brut Colgne Smell though.

That stuff rocks. Simpe Green also has a motorcycle version in a very similar branded bottle, smells and acts the same as far as I can tell as the auto stuff. When regular SG doesn't work I whip this stuff out. I could do without the Brut Colgne Smell though.

LMAO, yeah, it does smell like that. :naughty:

Wal-mart and Autozone carry this stuff called PURPLE POWER. I have found it works pretty good.

I agree with the statement about enviro freindly cleaners. Who really wants to kill all the grass where they washed their bike anyway.

dont use purple power on anything aluminum. i have a buddy that used it and it made the aluminum look like crap.

I love a thing from the people that make oxyclean. You can only buy it online, I haven't seen it in the stores. Its called Orange Clean Degreasing Foam and another called Power Paste. By far the best I've used. Blows SG out of the water. And it smells good too. lol. :naughty:

Try Castrol Super clean :naughty: Works for me, Just don't put it on a hot engine....

Ive been using the product "powerclean". Simple green ha sits name on it. It comes in a spray and a foam spray. The foam spray has been great for me. U spray it on and let it sit. It does wash off dirt, etc.