FMF is pissing me off

I just got finnished fixing the endcap on my FMF Q pipe and then the baffle disintegrates! :naughty:

plate

tube

tube and plate

WoW, That blows, Have got ahold of FMF to see what they might do for ya...

You never know till ya ask........ :naughty:

fmf has not been known for reliabilty.

Yeah, my FMF Q is junk, too. I started my bike the other day after cleaning it with a cork in the pipe (oops), and the bike ran fine. I could even rev it. Exhaust just blew out from all the seams.

I uncorked it and felt around the pipe, and fumes come out of all the seams anyway. I'm not impressed. It does sound nice, though.

Are you really 6'7"? How do you fit on your bike? You must squeeze the tank with your calves!

Wow, I was considering a "Q" for the DRZ,,,,,

Not no more. :naughty::naughty:

JohnnyO, I have a like new condition Yosh and the TEC I'll sell ya! PM me..

I got an FMF Gnarly for my 05 YZ250 with aluminum frame and it rubbed in two places.. called them and sent it in...they said it fit thier jig and my bike must be tweaked..sent them pictures etc. and they just sent it back to me. I would like to try it on another brand new bike...they did nothing about it..anyone want a cheap Gnarly pipe? It rubs on the left frame coming out and on the lower corner of the right radiator. Both places I wouldn't want it to rub. I guess I could put custom bends in it though. I have had other pipes from them that were great. Wasn't satisfied with this one. I now have a different attitude about them and will consider other pipes in the future. :naughty::naughty:

FMF is pissing me off. . .

just remember, it's better to be pissed off than to be pissed on

How many hours on the exhaust before the failure?

Yes I am 6'7" and lowered pegs, tall seat foam, and relocated bars save the day. :naughty:

I don't know how many hours are on it. I got it off of ebay last fall and it was in fairly good shape. I had it apart sunday and I did not see anything wrong with the piece. I also ran fine until I washed the bike, then took it about 2mi. down the road and turned back. Not until I was just about back to my driveway did it start to sound differnent. I don't know if there was a fracture for a little while that then failed, but it broke into pieces very quickly, long after the pipe was hot. :naughty:

Oh, I emailed FMF this morning with some pics too. Now I am going to wait a couple days for an answer before I call them. With out that baffle though, the bike does sound nice :naughty: I guess it is a good thing the cops around here don't sound check. I just need to watch where I go off the road since it isn't much of a spark arrestor now. :naughty:

I just got finnished fixing the endcap on my FMF Q pipe and then the baffle disintegrates! :naughty:

plate

tube

tube and plate

Do ya think maybe...just maybe...you could pick up the phone and call them?

They WILL warranty it. Donnie Emler is reallllllly good about warranties. Infact, TOO GOOD.

If your Off-Road Competition Exhaust system beaks-down after a couple of seasons of ridin'...well...let's see....

"Off-Road"...Check.

"Competition"...Check.

If you get it Warrantied you should be REAL APPRECIATIVE.

There is NO WARRANTY, at all, actually.

Good Luck,

Manny

Yes I am 6'7" and lowered pegs, tall seat foam, and relocated bars save the day. :naughty:

I don't know how many hours are on it. I got it off of ebay last fall and it was in fairly good shape. I had it apart sunday and I did not see anything wrong with the piece. I also ran fine until I washed the bike, then took it about 2mi. down the road and turned back. Not until I was just about back to my driveway did it start to sound differnent. I don't know if there was a fracture for a little while that then failed, but it broke into pieces very quickly, long after the pipe was hot. :naughty:

I don't know if it's fair that we are expecting these products to last forever. When I read the first post, I was assuming this was a new product that just fell apart. I doubt FMF will do anything about this considering you aren't even the original owner and if they do I guess that says something about the company. Dirt bikes and dirt bike parts are going to break at some point, that's just the way it is. My .02

But when they want almost $400 for a muffler, it should last longer than a couple years, the stockers do. :naughty:

Do ya think maybe...just maybe...you could pick up the phone and call them?

They WILL warranty it. Donnie Emler is reallllllly good about warranties. Infact, TOO GOOD.

If your Off-Road Competition Exhaust system beaks-down after a couple of seasons of ridin'...well...let's see....

"Off-Road"...Check.

"Competition"...Check.

If you get it Warrantied you should be REAL APPRECIATIVE.

There is NO WARRANTY, at all, actually.

Good Luck,

Manny

Been there tried that.....they do make good products but I called and talked to 3 different people....wrote 2 letters and sent pics and it appeared to me that I had to just accept the fact it didn't fit my bike well. I was real nice about it and thought maybe I had a bad manufactured pipe or wrong model. Made it sound like I did something wrong and it wasn't their fault. I'll just bite the bullet and do things differently next time. Custom bend my new pipe or buy from different company.

plate

tube

tube and plate

Man I feel your pain on that pipe - but what in the hell is up with that flowery shop towel! A bit if advice don’t let hill5150 see those or he will be all over ya with the gay label.

Are you really 6'7"? How do you fit on your bike? You must squeeze the tank with your calves!

yes he is. :naughty: and at 5'9" i look like dwarf next to him. :naughty:

Img_0644.jpg

I have the full FMF pipe for my kid's XR100. Its supposed to be stainless steel.

I put header wrap on it, since there was no heatshield, and I'm big on keeping heat from radiating back into the engine and carb from the hot pipe. Makes 'em run much cooler.

When the header wrap got ragged after a few years, and I went to replace it, the undelying "stainless?" pipe had some pretty serious rust. No rust on my stock XR400 header when I redid the wrap.......

If FMF stainless IS stainless, its pretty low grade stuff.

Robert

I got an FMF Gnarly for my 05 YZ250 with aluminum frame and it rubbed in two places.. called them and sent it in...they said it fit thier jig and my bike must be tweaked..sent them pictures etc. and they just sent it back to me. I would like to try it on another brand new bike...they did nothing about it..anyone want a cheap Gnarly pipe? It rubs on the left frame coming out and on the lower corner of the right radiator. Both places I wouldn't want it to rub. I guess I could put custom bends in it though. I have had other pipes from them that were great. Wasn't satisfied with this one. I now have a different attitude about them and will consider other pipes in the future. :naughty::naughty:

I've had issues with the FMF pipes on all of my bikes, silencers too. I've always had issues with their pipes rubbing the frame near the exaust port and hitting the right side radiator. Being that FMF was really the only one building a thicker pipe for off-road purposes I never really had any other options, ...until I discovered Ty Davis' products. I'm now using ZipTy's pipe. Much better fit and it even has better performance. As long as Ty continues to build pipes for my bikes I will no longer purchase FMF pipes.

And to answer Green's suggestion of warranty with FMF; I've had issues with them too. IMO, FMF is the K-Mart of motorcycle parts, but some of us simply have no other options because FMF is the only one building the type of product we need.

Early editions of the "Q" pipe had a bogus mounting bracket that kept on cracking. I inquired to FMF about it and they told me it's happening because I must have crashed on it (I never crashed on it). I had to purchase three of those brackets total. Now it appears FMF recognized it was a problem and changed the design of the mount. Seems FMF figures the first few with problems are idiots, until they see many have problems then they start to look at their design.