Sign in to follow this  

What oil are you all using in your gear box?

What are you putting in your gear box?  

708 members have voted

1. 1. What are you putting in your gear box?

• 80-85w gear oil
    • 10w-40 engine oil
    • 10w-30 engine oil
    • 15w-50 engine oil
    • something else

I use the GN4 black bottle, red cap. I think its 20-40 or 10-40.... i can't remember. I use it in both sides, engine and tranny. Never had a problem, and I don't have to buy more than one type of oil.

Shell Rotella T 15w40 conventional.....

good grief, I see you found another quality avatar...... I almost spit my cereal all over the table.

Whatever is laying around in the garage. I think it was some generic 10w40 last time. I just change my oil every 3-5 rides with whatever is laying around the house. I've always done this and never had a trans failure in over 12 years of MX.

What about ATF?

Anyone?

Kelstr likes ATF for the CRF trans, and I put a lot of value in his advice :naughty: . BTW, he also likes Pro Honda Trans Oil which is what I run.

Ipone De Best Synthec Oil Is Expensif To ...

I think that you ve been listening to KIMPEX a little too much. Ipone sucks, its not even real synthetic. :naughty:

ATF certainly makes a good tranny oil, even Amsoil reccomends their synthetic ATF for manual transmissions...

I am still sticking to the Shell Rotella T 15w40 in mine using 850cc of it. If I use the factory spec oil amount...I miss lots of shifts from second to third. With 850cc those are a thing of the past.

I think alot of the notchy shifting some people experience is due to this....

My Husky doesn't have seperate gear/ engine oil. So for bikes like this that "share" you need to make sure the oil you use meets the "shear" strength requirements for the gear box.

My 2 cents

I use Safola...only $0.50 a quart, and smells like french fries. Only problem is that I gotta carry a stick with me to keep the little fat kids away... :naughty:

I use Safola...only $0.50 a quart, and smells like french fries. Only problem is that I gotta carry a stick with me to keep the little fat kids away... :D

Hee Heee Heee!... :)