Sign in to follow this  

What oil are you all using in your gear box?

What are you putting in your gear box?  

708 members have voted

1. 1. What are you putting in your gear box?

• 80-85w gear oil
    • 10w-40 engine oil
    • 10w-30 engine oil
    • 15w-50 engine oil
    • something else

If you have the time, knocck yourself out! I clean my oil fileter every other oil change.

I use Amsoil products in everything from the lawnmover, my diesel, Harley and dirt bikes and have not had a problem. On the CRF450R, I use 10W-40 in the crank and trans.

15w40 rotella not because everyone else uses it but because it looks nicer when i change it compared to hp trans oil------15w50 gold cap in engine,,i swear that stuff looks excellent after many rides-i swear by that stuff :applause::ride::p:p:lol::p:p:lol::p:p;):p:p

rotella non-synth both sides -- '04 bike has somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 hours on it and the valves are right on the money. Oil change every other ride or so (filter every third ride or so), air filter every other ride....

Best bike I've ever owned!

Engine- HP4M

Trans- Honda 80-85wt gear oil

Cant go wrong there......

When you guys are saying that you are using 80/85wt GEAR oil, I hope to assume you are referring to Pro Honda 80/85wt TRANS oil, because, in my experience, these are two completely different lubricants used in two completely different applications. When someone says GEAR oil, I think of that stuff from the auto parts store that you put in your Ford 9" rear center section (axle). That stuff is a totally different consistency (very thick) than the 80/85wt Pro Honda trans stuff that is recommended. Are you guys actually using gear oil, or just misnaming the trans oil??????????????? :applause:

When you guys are saying that you are using 80/85wt GEAR oil, I hope to assume you are referring to Pro Honda 80/85wt TRANS oil, because, in my experience, these are two completely different lubricants used in two completely different applications. When someone says GEAR oil, I think of that stuff from the auto parts store that you put in your Ford 9" rear center section (axle). That stuff is a totally different consistency (very thick) than the 80/85wt Pro Honda trans stuff that is recommended. Are you guys actually using gear oil, or just misnaming the trans oil??????????????? :applause:

Yes Pro Honda 80/85 trans oil in the red bottle......my bad.

I think Pro Honda oils are whats best for my CRF...... I have looked at the other oil choices and the prices are about the same so I will stick with the Pro Honda oil's for my De-Vestment......

Ok, thats what I thought, just that a few people on here had mentioned the gear oil too (as well as the way it is named in the poll :applause: ), so I wondered if it was actually being used. I have been using Rotella conventional, but have some Pro Honda trans oil on my Christmas list to try out because I have heard that it makes it shift very smooth.

Trans.-Maxima MTL. 80W in winter and 85W in summer.

Engine-Maxima Extra or Ultra (both Ester Synthetics).

Jim you are thinking gear oil (hypoid) which is rear end oil. Like honey on days like this..

http://www.maximausa.com/technical/lubenews/spring98.pdf

See the site listed above. The SAE number system for rating viscosity for engine oil and gear oil is different, even though they may have the same viscosity, they each get a different number.

But, we are talking about using trans oil, which isn't the same thing as hypoid oil you might ues in a differential.

But, we are talking about using trans oil, which isn't the same thing as hypoid oil you might ues in a differential.

Yeah, I am aware of the difference, thus the reason I was asking if anyone was actually using the hypoid stuff. Some were calling the trans oil "gear oil", as it is also mislabeled in the poll. I couldn't imagine anyone putting that in the trans. :applause:

After many years of running Motul 800 series 2 stroke oil I am a believer so I am running thier trans oil in my 450x and running Honda oil in the engine my dealer gives me a hard time for paying the price for the Motul they always try to sell me the regular Honda engine oil but I believe a set of tranny gears need an oil with excellent shear strength properties