Sign in to follow this  

oil filter change??

Hi guys i just replaced my oil filter for the 1st time just want to

check that i did it ok....I removed 2 bolts took out old replaced with

new ..slid piece back in closed up thats it...sound ok..Please advise

if there should be spring in there as klx 300 apparently has..Also as far as positioning just putting the cover back on correctly should align everything...right?

Yes there should be a spring in there... when you take the cover off.. the oil spills out with the filter. Typically the spring dissappears into my oil pan and I have to search for it - lots of fun! :naughty:

When putting it back together, the spring goes in first, then the filter, then the cover. Due to the spring, it's tricky to put back together unless you tip the bike right over.

On what?

From his past posts, it looks like he has a KLX650.

Ride on

Brewster

yes.. sorryt is a klx 650...there is no spring in mine...previous owner it looks like..should i not ride the bike till i get 1 or is it ok?

If there is supposed to be a spring in there, I wouldn't ride much with out it. The oil won't have to go THROUGH the filter with it missing.

(Don't) Ride on

Brewster

why don't you go to buykawasaki.com or bikebandit.com and see on the diagrams if there's supposed to be a spring or not.

Due to the spring, it's tricky to put back together unless you tip the bike right over.

Tip of the day... just put a dab of grease on the spring first and it will stay in place.

Better yet, bend the last winding on the spring out a little with needle nosed pliers and it will stay in place

Or, flop your bike over on it's side. The three officially approved methods for keeping the spring in. :naughty:

my klx 650 dosent have a spring on the outside of the pin that goes through the oil filter but the pin does have one on the inside. the bike shop told me that the klx 650 only has the spring on the inside

Or just do like I do. Put your kickstand down in the soft dirt and then it just falls over for you. Dumb mistake, but a good learning experience.

I have a 2004 Honda CRF250R and it has a similar system, again as the manual instructs to put grease on the seat of the spring that sits in the recess of the oil filter. That way it is pretty good to go.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By J.P.C.
      2014 New Edition KLR650
      Ridden mostly on-road commuting to work.

5900 miles (will increase as I am still riding it)
      Thermo bob 2
      EM Doo hickey & torsion spring
      JNS skid plate
      SW Motech crash bars
      SW Motech center stand
      Moose luggage racks
      Pelican 1550 cases with Caribou case liners
      MadStad windscreen
      LeoVince exhaust
      Pro taper evo handlebars 
      Uni air filter
      Touratech headlight guard 
      HTP master cylinder guard
      New Bridgestone Trail Wing tires
      LED dash lights
      Aprilia mirrors
      Top gun 7.4kg rear shock spring
      Jetted for 8000 ft altitude (140 main)

Extra Parts included:
      Stock Exhaust
      Stock Tires (only approx 200 miles on these before I changed them)
      Stock Windscreen
      Stock Hand guards
      Stock Skid plate
      Stock Mirrors
      16t sprocket
      Stock Rear shock spring
      Carb jets: 138, 142.5, 145

Bike has been taken care of. Only damage is 2 small scratches on tank from leaning against it with belt buckle. Has been stored outside, but covered.
    • By Patrick McKenzie
      The radiator fan isn’t starting up, even though none of the fuses or connections between the battery, fan and radiator are bad. I figured it has to be the fan relay, but none of the diagrams I’ve seen matched up with the wires on the bike. Does anyone know where the fan relay is for this bike?
    • By hrchins
      Hey Thumpers,
      I am swapping forks and need to know what triple clamps / tripple trees will also fit the 93-96 KLX650r forks. Through some research it looks like KLX300 and pre 09 KLX250 clamps will also fit. But given the ambiguous name of these parts (triple/tripple trees/clamps) doing a search to get good info is difficult. And many of the clamps I am finding for sale are rather expensive so just want to make sure I am getting the right part before pulling the trigger. Thanks for your help!
    • By siscoken
      My Klx400 is a great...fun bike to ride off road with a few highway runs in between trails, but I felt I needed something different if I was going to ride the highway with the occasional off road excursions......so now I own a 2002 klr650. What a world of difference between there bikes, but I believe that between these 2 bikes I now have the one bike I was looking for... if that makes sense.

• By VersuS
      Hello guys. I just got a while ago a KLX650 1996 with about 34,000km. 
      I was in the process of adjusting the valve clearance, they were really out of tolerance so I ordered new shims and when removing the camshaft I had the 2 tensionned mechanism removed (automatic camshaft tensioner, and the spring tensioner bolt).
      I am now in the process of re-timing the camshafts but I'm not able to line up the EX and IN line properly, I always seem to be half a tooth off when positioning the crankshaft at TDC.
      Could it be that i've had the lower chain come out of timing? I might have turn the crankshaft with tensionners removed... 

I am including pictures of the camshaft marks and as you notice camera angle makes a difference but what are your thoughts?
      If i cannot put the marks right on spot, is it better to have the intake valve open half a tooth before, or half a tooth after? and what about the exhaust?

Thanks

Sebastien