Sign in to follow this  

What would you do?

You and a friend are riding, one on a two stroke one on a four stroke. You wind up in a situation where neither has enough gas to get back to the truck, but if you put all the gas into one bike there would be enough to get back to the truck and get gas for both.

Would you put the 2 stroke gas in the thumper or drain the thumper gas into the 2 stroke? Or ride both bikes as far as they will go and then push?

Put the 2stroke gas in the 4stroke and came back with more gas or the truck for the other bike.

Easy question put the 2 stroke fuel in to the 4 stroke machine. If you did it the other way around you would sieze up the 2 stroke because no 2 stroke oil in the 4 stroke fuel. :naughty:

The 2 stroke is probably going to be the one shortest on gas. Take a little crankcase oil from the 4 stroke and mix with the unmixed gas and dump it in the 2 stroke. It works in a pinch and you'll probably have enough gas for both bikes to make it back.

The 2 stroke is probably going to be the one shortest on gas. Take a little crankcase oil from the 4 stroke and mix with the unmixed gas and dump it in the 2 stroke. It works in a pinch and you'll probably have enough gas for both bikes to make it back.

Negative. My 300 exc and my buddies 525 burn about the same amount of fuel.

I carry oil premeasured at 50:1 ratio with the bottle marked in half gallon increments incase this ever happens. I work with liquid measurements, and ratios there of all day so I can improves on the trail if I only get a quart of gas. Awhile back when riding with two 2 strokes they were both low on gas so we used the 4 st gas and added it to the 2 stroke. If you have a half gallon of premix at 32:1 and add a half gallon of straight gas you wind up at about 64:1 So it wouldn't hurt for a short period.

Again in my above scenario both bikes have exactly the same amount, but only enough to get one back.

2 stroke into the 4, it'll smoke like a bastard, and might foul the plug, but you'll make it. Otherwise I'd ride till I ran out, then walk.

I'd get a bigger tank if this kept happening to me.

I just made a couple of phone calls. The 525 does close to 30mpg in the tight woods we ride, and the 300 does about 20mpg under the same conditions with the same caliber riders. FYI.

I carry oil premeasured at 50:1 ratio with the bottle marked in half gallon increments incase this ever happens. I work with liquid measurements, and ratios there of all day so I can improves on the trail if I only get a quart of gas. Awhile back when riding with two 2 strokes they were both low on gas so we used the 4 st gas and added it to the 2 stroke. If you have a half gallon of premix at 32:1 and add a half gallon of straight gas you wind up at about 64:1 So it wouldn't hurt for a short period.

Again in my above scenario both bikes have exactly the same amount, but only enough to get one back.

I know, I know, you straight arm, clothes line a passing husky 510, pick up the bike (leave the dude in the dirt) and take the petro out of the husky, devide it up between both of the fine pumpkins, drop the husky back on top of the dude in the dirt, start up both mut killers and roost away at the pile on the ground. what da ya think :naughty:

I just made a couple of phone calls. The 525 does close to 30mpg in the tight woods we ride, and the 300 does about 20mpg under the same conditions with the same caliber riders. FYI.

:naughty: I would think a 2-stroke would be harder on gas than a 4-stroke, but I have no numbers myself. :naughty:

Listen to see if a tree makes a sound in the woods when it falls....

Are you calling me a liar? :naughty: We have checked the milage three times now and they are very close. But am I sure you are right and I am wrong since I have only checked it in reality three times. Maybe your buddies should jet their bikes properly.

dude why would you put the gas in the 2 stroke which is shortest on gas that dosent make sence i it has less gas then that means it burns more gas dummy you would want to put it in the 4 stroke because it will last longer and get you back to the truck. duh!!!

dude why would you put the gas in the 2 stroke which is shortest on gas that dosent make sence i it has less gas then that means it burns more gas dummy you would want to put it in the 4 stroke because it will last longer and get you back to the truck. duh!!!
Because in real life the 2 stroke is going to run out of gas long before the 4 stroke bike does and in real life situations the 4 stroke bike will probably have enough gas left to get both bikes back to the truck. I have personal experience with this happening and I have personally given gas and crankcase oil to a 2smoke owner to get him home. It is simply another possible, more likely scenario.

Are you calling me a liar? :naughty: We have checked the milage three times now and they are very close. But am I sure you are right and I am wrong since I have only checked it in reality three times. Maybe your buddies should jet their bikes properly.

I won't go into detail about who I spoke to but suffice it to say that they run their bikes correctly jetted and it was they, not me who stated you are full of it (I softened the verbage up a little, well actually quite a bit).

I have since searched the net and all the fuel mileage claims I can find regarding the 300exc and 525 confirm their claims. Somewhere around 23mpg on the 300 in open country and less than 20mpg in the woods where the worst claim I found on the 525 was 25mpg with most claims around 30+ mpg. :naughty:

Due to circumstances, MXJunky has run plenty of premixed gas in his thumpers in the past, no fouled plugs, maybe a little smokey. Runnin' straight gas in a 2 smoker is just stupid.

You and a friend are riding, one on a two stroke one on a four stroke. You wind up in a situation where neither has enough gas to get back to the truck, but if you put all the gas into one bike there would be enough to get back to the truck and get gas for both.

Would you put the 2 stroke gas in the thumper or drain the thumper gas into the 2 stroke? Or ride both bikes as far as they will go and then push?

Tell your friend to hump it back to the truck to get more gas while you stay to guard the bikes. As soon as he's out of sight lay down and take a nice little nap.

Due to circumstances, MXJunky has run plenty of premixed gas in his thumpers in the past, no fouled plugs, maybe a little smokey. Runnin' straight gas in a 2 smoker is just stupid.
I used to get desperate for gas in my younger years and would heist my dad's chainsaw gas (only when I was unable to sneek down to the local church and borrow gas from the church van which was always kept full behind the church in a nice dark parking spot). I never fouled a plug either.