Rear Mono Shock

Help, riding down in Brazil and after trying 30 times to repair the progressive suspension rear shock, I am putting the original new one for my KLR650 back on. Unfortunately my friend brought it with him on a visit from the US but had to remove the nitrogen in order to get it on allowed on the plane. As such, he tells me liquid came out, that "in no way" looked like hydraulic fluid instead of just compressed air. Is this possible? Liquid Nitrogen too? I don't believe it but he is insistent. Anyone have experience with the original recharging and refilling it? What must I do? I assume I am now low on fluid and out of gas. How do I fill it properly and then, what pressure of Nitrogen if I can find a shop to charge it. If I cannot, will it run ok with normal air pressure? Regards. 2.5 years on 2 wheels across all the Americas... but still challenged by this KLR, Steve

Your friend may have opened the fluid bleed screw instead of the nitrogen fitting. If he did, the nitrogen bladder will most likely need to be replaced as the high pressure in it will have burst the bladder when the fluid was released. I've done that.

Ride on

Brewster

Thanks for the idea, but no, I am sure it was the pressure stem... the one under a plastic cap, up at the top of the shock. The stem looks like a tire stem for air. Has to be that one, although it was under a black plastic cap that needed wedging off.

Is there a rubber bladder that would normally keep the fluid and nitrogen seperate...

Either way, how can I refill this thing now to make it work...

The reservoir that the "air stem" is located on has a rubber bladder in it. The bladder keeps the nitrogen and fluid seperate. You will have to find someone with a nitrogen tank, a high pressure regulator, and chuck to match up with the "air stem". Use around 150 lbs of pressure.

Good luck

Brewster

Thanks. I am still wondering though, as the Kawasaki shock I am going to put on was brand new, why would oil have sprayed out of the nitrogen fill stem when releasing the nitrogen? Does that mean there is a problem or a leak inside or normal?

And, how can I fill the shock again with the proper amount of oil (130ccs of 5w someone told me) without fully disassembling the shock? Any ideas are very welcome. Regards, steve

Oil coming out of the nitrogen filler valve is an indication that the bladder is punctured. To inspect the bladder, release the remaining pressure, put a short piece of metal tubing or a socket over the valve (it must not touch the valve) and lightly tap it with a hammer. That will push the end cap down so that you can remove the springy wire ring that holds the end cap in place. Next, you WILL NEED something that is drilled and tapped with the same threads as the nitrogen fill valve. Screw that onto the valve and carefully pull the end cap out. The nitrogen bladder will be attached to the end cap.

Ride on

Brewster