Dual sport helmets?

I'm possibly in the market for one of these.. The only one I can find is the Arai XD. Anyone know of any others I should check out? For whatever reason, I'm more willing to spend the extra $$ on a helmet I can use in the street and in the dirt instead of having two separate helmets.

I ride all my bikes with an AFX FX4 3/4 helmet with flip-up full face shield, same as I've done for many years -- works fine for me, no matter what kind of riding I do.

If I got back into racing, THEN I would just use a dirt-style helmet, to get the extra face protection.

I ride all my bikes with an AFX FX4 3/4 helmet with flip-up full face shield, same as I've done for many years -- works fine for me, no matter what kind of riding I do.

This is the convertable kind? Goes from open face to closed face? Those helmets have a way breaking the skull around the eye socket in even mild impacts. Last time I read up on them none had a Snell approval.

These modular helmets cannot be SNELL approved, its impossible for them to pass the chin bar test. Dont buy one of those it just gives you a false sense of security. Even a motocross helmet that only passes DOT is more secure.

This is the convertable kind? Goes from open face to closed face? Those helmets have a way breaking the skull around the eye socket in even mild impacts. Last time I read up on them none had a Snell approval.

You are exactly correct...due to the placement of the hinge even a mild side impact will hit in the temple area and probably cause more damage than if it were an open-face helmet. I prefer a full-face and goggles. Doesn't take a hell of a lot to crack the old melon...I need all the help I can get! :naughty:

These modular helmets cannot be SNELL approved, its impossible for them to pass the chin bar test. Dont buy one of those it just gives you a false sense of security. Even a motocross helmet that only passes DOT is more secure.

I have one of those, and asked the stealer...er Dealer...about the Snell rating...of course it ISN'T snell approved, but they do have open face helmets that ARE Snell approved...I guess I'm not sure myself how they figure some of this stuff...

Anyway, hadn't heard about any special injuries when wearing one....hmmm

ride all my bikes with an AFX FX4 3/4 helmet with flip-up full face shield, same as I've done for many years -- works fine for me, no matter what kind of riding I do.

Your's is basically an open face helmet. The shield helps some but it's not the same as a chin guard. Though it could even be better in certain impacts. Safe enough IMO except you could get your teeth busted out. To each their own - my chin guard has too many scrapes, I must fall down too much :naughty: I use a HJC MX helmet and the air flow is so good I think I have an open face helmet on. I don't like goggles either but I'm too wimpy to think about getting my jaw reconstructed to use my open face helmet. I let my daughter use my very nice Shoei open face helmet but after a couple of rides she really wanted the MX helmet. The shield on my Shoei doesn't come down as far as yours. Her very first ride using my HJC she planted the chin guard right into a boulder. There's three big skins on the guard from that fall alone - I shudder to think how it would have been with the open face.

I

have one of those, and asked the stealer...er Dealer...about the Snell rating...of course it ISN'T snell approved, but they do have open face helmets that ARE Snell approved...I guess I'm not sure myself how they figure some of this stuff...

Anyway, hadn't heard about any special injuries when wearing one....hmmm

look into it - it's hard to believe a manufacturer would take such a risk with a helmet design but who in their right mind would make safety equipment anyways?

I ride both with a dirtbike helmet & goggles. only thing I dont' like about it is doing 60+km/h it gets pretty lound with wind noise around the edges of the goggles as its a flat surface, and also the sun visor on the top catches some wind but it keeps the sun out of yoru eyes.

would a daily 50-55mph 15 mile cruise on a 2 lane hwy be too much for just a dirtbike helmet and goggles? Occaisionally I have to hit the freeway, but its only for 5-10 minutes. my situation is this.. i've got a dual sport and i want to be able to do either sport at any given time. after work.. before work(:naughty:), whenever. I just want to be able to cruise it. Safety first tho....

I stupidly bought a street helmet last fall when I got my DRZ. All winter I have been thinking it was a smart move. Now it's in the upper 70's here and I can already feel that thing starting to warm up. I know by June it will be down right sweaty on the trails. Guess I will need to go spend more $ on a dirt helmet.

Is there anyway to plug up the money hole in these bikes? :naughty:

I'm possibly in the market for one of these.. The only one I can find is the Arai XD. Anyone know of any others I should check out? For whatever reason, I'm more willing to spend the extra $$ on a helmet I can use in the street and in the dirt instead of having two separate helmets.

I've had a number of helmets over the years, but I feel strongly about have that chin area protected. So I was really looking for an alternative to the Arai XD because they are so expensive. BUT they seemed to be the perfect compomise.

Anyway, I ended up getting the ARAI XD through e-bay :naughty:

The XD will convert to full road by taking the visor off and then to full dirt by removing everything and wearing googles. I also liked that I can remove the liner and wash it.... :naughty:

Go to http://www.ebay.com and type in "Arai XD" The first two that pop up were from "Will's Garage" in Texas...I bought mine through them...I think it was around $380.00 Which is far below retail everywhere else I looked :D

YMMV

:D

Did you have a chance to try it on before you purchased? Do you think it'd be a safe bet to go to a shop and try on any Arai helmet to get the general idea of how the XD would fit on me??

Also, how do you like it? The visor looks like it snaps on/off.. I'm assuming changing the helmet from dirt to street can be done with your hands?

I have two helmets MX and Street. My street helmet is a Shoei RFR and I have worn the Shoei on every ride except 2 (It's strarting to look like it too). The comfort is great. Typically when I riding in the hills it's cool and heat is not a problem. Yes it looks dorky but it does the job. I've been in the mountains when an afternoon thunderstorm has come in and it gets real cold in a hurry. I also carry extra clothes in my small pack. :naughty:

Wow all of these big rollers aroud here. I also have 2 helmets 1 street a Shoei Piccot RF900 and my latest dirt is a HJC something....Its yellow and it was cheep! I effectivly trash a dirt helmit per year baning it off of tree limbs and ect no way I am buying a dirt helmet for more than $200. just my $.02 and I want change!!!!

My buddy bought and interchangeable HJC helmut that you can remove the visor and put on a sheild. I can't remember the model #. It also has a removeable pilots style breath deflector. It's both DOT and Snell approved. He uses it for Snowmobiling, Dirt riding and on the street.