Thinking about selling my DRZ

Hey everybody i am thinking about selling my DRZ, but i wanted to get your opinion on it first. I was talking to a guy this morning about a trade of my bike and some money for 2003 CRF 450. He owns a small shop here in town, and he got this bike for another guy who fell through. He just put new handlebars, triple clamp, plastic, and tires. I ride mostly trails, and i am not sure how the CRF will behave on the trails. What do you guys think? I ride a 2003 DRZ 400E.

Any particular reason this sounds like a good idea to you?

Um, well they certainly have more power and are lighter than the DRZ. The DRZ however requires less maintanance and is overall a more reliable bike. You also have e-start and the CRF does not. I've ridden the '05 CRF450 on trails and it does real good, but it uses gas faster and I guess they tend to burn through oil? It's kind of a toss, they both have their good and bad points but if you want to dualsport the CRF will be a pain to modify and I personally would not do it.

The CRF is a motocross bike and will require some modification before it can be as good in the trail as the DRZ. The electric start alone is a reason not to do this. I can thumb that button and be gone, before you can reach for the kickstart lever. For the I occasionally like to try to go fast rider, DRZ is hard to beat. You might be bored because the DRZ is so jack of all trades.

:naughty:

IMO

I actually rode a 2004 YZ 450F, and i really liked it, but i have heard that the Honda is a much nicer bike. I really just like the suspension, the weight difference, and the power is incredible, but i don't motorcross or anything so i am afraid that i may miss the DRZ on the trails.

Consider the fact that you are replacing a perfectly good SUZUKI for a HONDA!!!!!!!yuk :naughty:

The CRF is a motocross bike and will require some modification before it can be as good in the trail as the DRZ. The electric start alone is a reason not to do this. I can thumb that button and be gone, before you can reach for the kickstart lever. For the I occasionally like to try to go fast rider, DRZ is hard to beat. You might be bored because the DRZ is so jack of all trades.

:naughty:

IMO

I think you are right. I am also thinking that it is still winter, and i have been riding in Pueblo which is just very open, and not technical trails. It is more of a motocross park. I think that once it gets warmer i will be in the mountains, and i will be glad i didn't sell the DRZ. We will see though it would have to be a really good deal for me to buy it.

I wouldn't do it, especially since you'll be riding mostly trails and not racing. The Honda reliability scares me.

Sounds like a bit of HP envy and perhaps at bit of prestige. But in making your case for the Honda you also made your own case to keep Suzi...so I suggest you take the extra money you would have spent on the trade and give Suzi a shot of steriods and perhaps a new face lift. Make your relationship new again.

What do you recommend for the "shot of steroids" aside from a pipe and gearing? What about this face lift? You have got me intrigued.

I agree with MutualBill. I have been through 4 bikes from KTM to YZ and I have found my place on the DRZ. The one thing that will take me off it is a new drz450 (if we will see one). Sure the crf is a coush ride and delivers more hp but the flywheel is small which can put strain on the motor when coasting through the trails. which inturn means more stopping and less riding.

I've heard of people turning down there fly wheels. But is it possible to buy a bigger fly wheel? Stalling the bike due to a smaller fly wheel is the only thing that would concern me be about using it as a trail bike. If you can get the bigger flywheel and you like the power go Red. :naughty:

I dont know where you ride but when I went to the f-mx bike as a 2nd I found myself missing the DR when I was sitting in 30 ft deep creek bed with no run to be had in any direction to get out. But the MX bike excelled in other areas that the DR dosn't.

What does your bike have now? What is your pleasure? Power is in the mods. Bigger cams, exhaust change, more compression, over bore, stroke...etc. You know the drill.

All kinds of bling or styling changes available to you...just depends on your imagination and your willingness to work with it.