Spangler Hills (Charlies Place) 4/9-10

Unfortunately we missed last weekends ride from Ridgecrest to Burro Schmidt mine so this weekend my 9 y.o. son and I are going out to the Spangler Hills area for the weekend. We plan on camping near wagon wheel/Charlie’s place. http://www.badgersmc.org/charlies.html

We welcome anyone that would care to join us for a family ride and hanging around the campfire. Its been many years since I have ridden this area so anyone with local knowledge would be more than welcome in showing the sites.

Unfortunately we missed last weekends ride from Ridgecrest to Burro Schmidt mine so this weekend my 9 y.o. son and I are going out to the Spangler Hills area for the weekend. We plan on camping near wagon wheel/Charlie’s place. http://www.badgersmc.org/charlies.html

We welcome anyone that would care to join us for a family ride and hanging around the campfire. Its been many years since I have ridden this area so anyone with local knowledge would be more than welcome in showing the sites.

Ah man your killin me, I love that place. We were just there for a few days over easter, great weather until the wind blew us out. Little far for me to go for a weekend and with trailer in tow, fully loaded and today gas prices I think we spent two hundred bucks in diesel round trip, OUCH!!! Watch out around the nothern rocky hills where the silver mines are as the rattlers are out in full force. Pray for rain, more it rains, the better it gets as im sure you know. Im sure you will have a blast. If you like really high speed stuff ther is a maintenance road for the power poles toward ridgecrest that goes for a few miles, WHAT A BLAST. We rode pretty much all around the boundry of the place in one day, lotta miles. Have fun. Dust Devil can give you an accurate weather report, he's in ridgecrest.

Thanks Mike, yea hauling from Modesto is a bit of a trek for just a weekend outing. As for the rain I’m pretty much hoping the Western Monsoon season is over. I’m only coming up from Orange County but I still feel ga$ pains because I have an 8.1L gasser pulling a 12,000# 5’ver… yikes.

Charlie’s Place reminisce… as a young lad growing up in Seattle (I know rain) my family would traverse south for a few weeks during the Christmas break with our pick-up & camper and utility trailer full of motorcycles (circa 1971). One of our destinations was a god-forsaken place called Ridgecrest to visit some friends that worked at a Naval Station in the middle of the desert (go figure).

At that young and impressionable age I distinctly remember 3 things: 1) houses with swimming pools – unbelievable 2) Mexican food – these people are culinary geniuses 3) a place in the desert known as the ‘Wagon Wheel’ were you could ride your motorcycle and stop for pizza and a soda… man I thought this was heaven.

Fast forward 30+ years… I recently came across the article on the Badgers MC website and it brought back some great memories. It’ll be great to ride with my son in an area I have such fond memories of with my family.

Stop it I’m getting all misty… :naughty:

Wait till I have a few beers and tell this story 'round the campfire. :naughty: