Fork slider damage on 05

If you notice wear marks on the inside leg of your fork slider it is being hit by the fork guard. The remedie for this is to remove the nylon ring off the fork and replace it with fork guides from a 99 250 two stroke. They must be modified. All protrusion must be removed and ground smooth with a angle head die grinder with a sanding pad attachment. The inside band should be reduced to 12 mm so that the new guide will fit in the grove in the fork. A sharp wood chisel will do a good job of reducing the band to 12mm by scrapping the materal off the buttom of the band.

An even easier way to fix the problem is to remove the guides altogether!!! I did this a long time ago when I installed my CR brake hose routing because of interference and have had zero problems. The guards dont hit the forks like many think would happen, so no wearing of anything. I loosened up my guard bolts and pulled forward on the guards while tightening the bolts back down and it works GREAT. If You are worried about the guards hitting the forks and marring up the forks. A simple zip-tie around the groove in the forks will keep the distance between the guard and fork.The guides are worthless weight!!!

Obie#723 :naughty:

An even easier way to fix the problem is to remove the guides altogether!!! I did this a long time ago when I installed my CR brake hose routing because of interference and have had zero problems. The guards dont hit the forks like many think would happen, so no wearing of anything. I loosened up my guard bolts and pulled forward on the guards while tightening the bolts back down and it works GREAT. If You are worried about the guards hitting the forks and marring up the forks. A simple zip-tie around the groove in the forks will keep the distance between the guard and fork.The guides are worthless weight!!!

Obie#723 :naughty:

ya i removed mine months ago when i put on the seal savers. alot of hard miles later,and several ass over elbows; the gaurds are still there

:naughty:

Aren't the wear guides suposed to WEAR?

Aren't the wear guides suposed to WEAR?
Or, more to the point, does the '05 even still have guard guides? I thought they just had a nylon rub ring. :naughty:

The 450 has the nylon rings only. No guides.