Rear Brake Fade???

I am new to the YZ250F and so far I love it, my question(and only issues I have found with this bike) is about rear brake fade. I have noticed bad rear brake fade after about 20 minutes of hard riding on motocross tracks. I have bleed the brakes, put on new pads, and it still fades really bad. Do I need to change the fluid to dot 5? Different rotor? I've searched the forum and don't see anything. Thanks :naughty:

try some ebc pads.

I havent seen any brake issues on the new yahamas.

The single best peice of advice I can give someone having brake fade/overheating is to keep your foot off of it while you are riding.

Its also a good idea to adjust your pedal about 1/2" lower than stock to help with this.

ebc? no, go back to stock so they come with the thermal pads on them.

Is this a new or used machine? What year?

First I would check that the caliper piston is not sticking and the caliper is not sticking on the slides. After that, bleed with new DOT4 fliud. Do NOT use DOT5, that is silicone and the brake system is not designed for it. DOT 5.1 is the newer spec there that can be used in the DOT3 and 4 systems.

Thanks guys, I changed the fluid with dot 4 yesterday and cleaned the caliper. The fluid looked burnt, almost black. I think I had a combination of things, the most detrimental being dragging the rear brake to much, I also adjusted the pedal. After a quick ride yesterday it seems OK now :naughty::naughty:

contrary to certain beliefs dragging the rear brake in corners and tight stuff lets you go faster than it you dont. It helps load the suspension and reduces the buckboard feeling.

contrary to certain beliefs dragging the rear brake in corners and tight stuff lets you go faster than it you dont. It helps load the suspension and reduces the buckboard feeling.

If you are boiling your fluid look into synthetic fluid that has a higher boiling point.

To YZ250 F Rider.....For sure, for years I have practiced dragging the rear brake and historically it has help me go faster. After years of racing 2 strokes and jsut switching to the revolution this season, maybe with all of the torque of the 4 stroke I don't notice that I am dragging it too much. The fluid I put in was synthetic but I will keep a better check on it after almost crashing my brains out last week with hardly no rear brake at all. Thanks for the help.