05 better more reliable

hi im getting a 05 model of either rmz/kxf yzf or crf 250 i want the most reliable so I know the 04 crf was no good in this department is the 05 better cos im leaning towards the yammie or rmz. Im not racing im just riding around small trail that are no strain on the bike. about 10hrs a week riding time

Man I do the same and hit the track. Maybe not 10 hours considering my job but I have troubles with my 05' CRF250R. It rocks out, jumps great and has been reliable as hell for me and i ride as hard as i can when i get the chance... :D:naughty::naughty:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with my crf250x 04, if I did not want a high performance, high tech, best performing 250 four stroke out there I would have bought an XR250, which all I would have to do is change the oil.

"Maintain, be happy"

Don't be put off by the bad raps on the crf's, it really aint what it seems.

Good Luck on what ever you choose

10 hrs a week! geez thats a hell of alot. No matter what bike you get things will wear out if your riding 10 hrs a week. I ride every week end and probably only get 10 hours every 6-8 weeks. Its ganna cost a hell of alot to maintain a high performance four-stroke if your riding 10 hours a week. Maybe you should be looking at an xr with some mods. Just as an example by the time I have clocked up 10 hours the oil has been changed 4-5 times and airfilter changed about 8-10 times.

But if you really want a yzf,crf,or kxf I would choose the yamaha. I do own a honda but i think yamaha's are more reliable.

The CRF is more short term work, Top end that is not bad on price. The RMZ is a cluster and inconsistant as to be a time bomb. The YZF seems a bit better on topends etc but when they go...they go big and they will go.

I was thinking of getting the crf recently, and trading in my 01 yz 250f, but truthfully after reading Thumpertalk for a while, I figured I would go another season with the YZF. It is interesting, if you read the forums, the crf forum has way more posts dealing with maintenance, and engine issues, while the yzf forum is more of just general questions. It just didn't seem worth it. My yzf has been so reliable, it has been a pleasure to own it. Now before anyone accuses me of being a blue fanboy, understand this is the first Yamaha I have ever owned. I have been riding Hondas since the 70's starting with an MR50, through to CR's. I even own Honda automobiles. Trust me I really want to buy the CRF, but right now it doesn't seem like they have it all worked out.

chris

I was thinking of getting the crf recently, and trading in my 01 yz 250f, but truthfully after reading Thumpertalk for a while, I figured I would go another season with the YZF. It is interesting, if you read the forums, the crf forum has way more posts dealing with maintenance, and engine issues, while the yzf forum is more of just general questions. It just didn't seem worth it. My yzf has been so reliable, it has been a pleasure to own it. Now before anyone accuses me of being a blue fanboy, understand this is the first Yamaha I have ever owned. I have been riding Hondas since the 70's starting with an MR50, through to CR's. I even own Honda automobiles. Trust me I really want to buy the CRF, but right now it doesn't seem like they have it all worked out.

chris

Chris

I would be cautious running an 01 yzf that long without top end work. They are great bikes but once they are pushed they die big time( $$$$.$$ ). You will hear alot of CRf owners without any issues that race and trail ride. In our group we have 3 X's and one R, our X is a hybrid (full CCC + mods). Our bike with loads of hours by full hard racing has used a set of valves and a couple pistons since last spring. The other guys have done nothing since they are the average Joe rider/racer and love their bikes. So if you feel you want to go back Red then go for it. The voices here on CRF's are strong but most have memories of the XR line. The owners of YZ's have another outlook as they are not compared to the proven XR line.

I I even own Honda automobiles. Trust me I really want to buy the CRF, but right now it doesn't seem like they have it all worked out.

chris

They do not have it worked out in the 04 and 05 models but that is likely to change in the future

as Honda's engine technology improves. There are much better choices out there if engine longevity is a major issue for you. The bike runs and handle exceptionally well....there are issues with the motor however and it is definately unsuitable for someone not mechanically inclined.

hi im getting a 05 model of either rmz/kxf yzf or crf 250 i want the most reliable so I know the 04 crf was no good in this department is the 05 better cos im leaning towards the yammie or rmz. Im not racing im just riding around small trail that are no strain on the bike. about 10hrs a week riding time

Judging by your avitar, I would say that you've already made up your mind? I would get the YZF if I were you.

Ive been looking at some bikes at my local dealer and I see the ktm 250 exc (4stroke) is this a more reliable bike? because I know it has still got alot of power

Ive been looking at some bikes at my local dealer and I see the ktm 250 exc (4stroke) is this a more reliable bike? because I know it has still got alot of power

You hear the same stuff, some love and other hate them. All Eric Gorr and ask him about KTM Motors :naughty: hold your ears.

I have a bunch of friends with 4 strokes from KTM. 3 riding buds have had major issues eith theirs. Actually I have one at my auto shop torn down for my business partner. Cracked ring, loose rod and valves it has been cared for very well and raced one season. Crap happens I guess.