Sign in to follow this  

Cutting the S subframe down????

Has anyone cut the rear part of the S subframe off yet?? :D I was thinking about cutting it off :naughty: just after the egx. mount on the right side and just after the battery on the left side. I have a BajaDesigns rear tail light that I will mount. I can't see any real purpose for it being there. How much do you thin it weighs?? Do you see ant problems?? :naughty::D

I can't see a reason for it. It would be much better to sut the talight than the frame! I have the S and that is where I pick up my bike to move it. I have two brothers that have the E and they both wish they had that rear part to lift the bike up. It is also a good plce to tie down as well when you are towing it. IMO, I think that is a horrible idea, but to each his own I reckon.'

CER

Trade it rather than cut it and make 2 people happy.

I cut mine, and would NOT do it again.

There was NO weight savings, since the tubing is actually aluminum.

Luckily, I only removed the rounded part at the end, so I can still lift the bike, but I believe that mounting the LED tail light would have been easier if i had not cut anything.

MW

don't cut it. The only real weight savings is by cutting off the helmet lock. If you decide to cut it, make sure not to cut past where the tool bag mounts - your rear fender will bounce around otherwise

I CUT MINE AND IM GLAD I DID. I cut the rear off just after the part that holds the bag to the fender. I did it cuz i looped my bide one day and the fing thing hit the back and lonched forwerd rolling 6 times, insted of just bending the rear fender and falling over. Bent the bars bashed the stock speedo. Pissed me off

Dave

isn't the rear subframe something that can just be unbolted from the main frame.

I thought the frames were the same on the E and S model.

Except they just bolted on that extra rear sub frame for tail light support

isn't the rear subframe something that can just be unbolted from the main frame.

The frame is the same E,S or K.. The sub frame is different on the S,, yes it bolts to the frame, all the same for each bike. The S subframe has more meterial after the exhaust mount to attach the tail light/plate/ signals/ ect to.. Add in the helmet lock and a mount for the tool bag, and pegs... You can strip down the S subframe,, and weight is no longer an issue.. It will however still have that section aft of the exhaust mount. My exsperance is that the S subframe gets bent more often, and worse then an E subframe due to that extra bit hanging out back. An E rear fender when the bike is layed over, just flexes the S rear fender, and subframe bends and stays that way.

nope, sub frame on an "S" is longer than the "E" to support pasenger weight and the ginormous tail light assembly. I would say try to trad it rather than cut it.