Sign in to follow this  

top triple clamps for the 450x...

this is the part about buying new bikes that i hate the most.

in most cases, it makes the most sense to buy a new upper triple clamp if you plan on running a dampener and oversized bars.

however, triple clamps are such a hard sell with me because of their price and i've honestly never seen any advantage they offer over stock triple clamps other than providing a "clean" install for oversized bars and dampener.

i talked to one aftermarket supplier on the phone today and was told that the top triple clamp they already offer for the 450r is what they are selling for the X.

i really have a hard time trusting this as:

#1. i've encountered problems with installing an aftermarket oversized tank sold for the R version of the crf250 on my crf250x when assured that the R version would in fact fit on the x. not even close to a correct fit.

#2 the 450x is slightly different than the 450r as far as frame ergos, rake, and trail.

has anyone gone with a new upper tripple clamp for the 450x yet?

the supplier i talked to said they altered the triple clamp for the odometer. the headlight didn't enter the conversation. honestly i need to look at the front of the bike again and see what all i'm dealing with. lol.

the supplier i talked to i totally trust. i have their triple clamp on my 650 and am totally happy.

the truth is i don't want to buy their triple clamp because it is sold at a premium price, even with my support discount.

there is another supplier, a handlebar and sprocket builder, who has entered the triple clamp market who is selling top clamps for the 450r as well. based on the conversation i had with the first supplier, if the information i got is correct, then i could run the clamp supplier 2 makes for the 450r on my 450x as well.

i can get these at a much better price after my discount.

sorry, i know this sounds like it isn't making sense.

it's one of those things where you're better off waiting and seeing what rig guys are going with and what works best.

however, i'm getting tired of not riding with my bar bend and dampener.

I have BRP upper and lower triple clamps mounted on my 450x, the clamps are the same as the ones used on the 450r. You do need to get the hardware kit offered in order to mount the headlight and odometer. If you go to there site www.brpit.com and follow the link to crf250x triple clamp you can see what the hardware kit looks like.

You can purchase BRP's Scott's sub-mount kit which is a sano way to install your dampener w/o the added expense of triple clamps. It also raises the bars and only works with Pro Tapers (or oversize bars).

I installed aftermarket triple clamps on my YZ426 and to be quite honest, I never felt a difference. I'm not really sure why people change them out? I've never seen one break at any opf the races I've been to (but maybe everyone is running aftermarket units :naughty: )

That my two sense!

I second www.brpit.com

I went with thier sub mount and it bolted right on without any problems. My buddy went with the above mount and also had no problems...

I called scotts and they said you could use the stock TT and buy the tower and perches.much cheaper.he also said scotts is heaver and the stock one is just fine.thats the way I went.

I just ordered a new perch and big bar adapters from scotts and put my old set-up on my new set-up, minus the aftermarket TT. Works just the same.

thanks guys.

i'm thinking about going with the brp sub mount kit.

couple questions:

1. it looks like you can remove the dampener without removing the handlebars... am i correct?

2. the perches look mega tall... what bar rise did you go with to compensate for the taller perches. on the 450x, i'm happy with the rise and sweep of the stock bars, so if i go with the brp sub mount kit, i need to find a bar bend that replicates the same position accomplished with the stock set up.

Thunder,

The BRP kit raises the stock bar bend by 23mm. I went with the Kevin Windham tall bend in the Pro Tapers which gave me the rise I was looking for. At 6' tall with midget sized legs this was a perfect combo. I'm reasonably sure that the lower rise bar bends would negate the rise produced by the risers.

Ask the dudes at BRP, they are pretty helpful. Also, they charge $89 ( I think) for the Pro Tapers, I saw them at a local aftermarket shop (CPW) for $69. Try talking them down.

Also, it would be a real pain removing the dampener with the bars on (someone asked that question).

The BRP kit raises the stock bar bend by 23mm. I went with the Kevin Windham tall bend in the Pro Tapers which gave me the rise I was looking for. At 6' tall with midget sized legs this was a perfect combo. I'm reasonably sure that the lower rise bar bends would negate the rise produced by the risers.

thanks for the reply. any idea off the top of your head what the rise and sweep of the stock bars is?

what's the rise and sweep of the "Windham tall bend" from pro taper?

Ask the dudes at BRP, they are pretty helpful. Also, they charge $89 ( I think) for the Pro Tapers, I saw them at a local aftermarket shop (CPW) for $69. Try talking them down.

yes, BRP is good people. however, i run Tag bars since i have a sponsorship from Tag and i've been totally happy with their stuff.

on my 650r i run the "SX High" bend from Tag. i'm certain i won't run this bend on the 450x if i go with the sub mount since those perches look like they already shoot the rider to the moon.

Also, it would be a real pain removing the dampener with the bars on (someone asked that question).

i asked brp about that and they said removing the dampener without removing the bars is not a problem... do you disagree? btw, i also realized that in order to move my dampener back and forth from the 650 to the 450 i have to change from a forward mount arm to a rear mount step down arm... which will also require my buying the link arm puller...