Is This A Good Deal??? Please Help Me

This is my first post on the forum and i'll admit that i am not yet an owner of a WR. But in fact, i am in the process of getting one. I am just wondering if the price that i worked out with the dealer is a good price. They told me i could have the bike for $5460 after tax, set up, doc. fee and freight. I feel that that is a good out-the-door price and i would like to know what you guys think. Please help me.

Also, I am 15 years old about 140lbs. and about 5'11"- 6 ft tall. I have been riding (a RT 100) for five years. I know its a big step but i want to get a bike that will be a good bike for many years as I get older. Is it too much for me? PLEASE HELP

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO WILL POST (sorry for the long post on my part but i need info cause im lookin at pickin it up tommorow on Friday or Saturday.)

Hi,

As much as I love my WR,I think that you might be getting in a little over your head with a bike this big. The price you have been quoted is pretty good,but you might want to consider a bike a little smaller, both in weight and power. I have a 15 year old son that is 6'2" 150 lbs, and the WR intimidates him. Have you considered a WR 250F, or YZ250F? You might want to. Even a TTR 250? I think if you got a smaller bike and rode that for a couple years and then go to a big power bike.I know this is not what you want to do, but I'm afraid that you might regret your decision later, if you go with a 400 now.Even the Kawasaki KLX300 or Honda XR400 might be a better choice as a stepping stone. These bikes ,I believe, are easier to ride in technical areas than a WR 400. But if you think you are ready for a WR400 , I think you are getting a good price.Just have fun with whatever bike you get.Good Luck.

I started to write about the pros and cons of the owning the WR at your age/size, but it really boils down to two things:

What kind of terrain do you ride? If you ride desert, some MX, and open, fast trails, the WR is a great bike. If you ride more than 50% woods trails (eastern US), my guess is that your're going to wrestle this bike more than you imagined. I'm 31, 6'2", 210 lbs and have done every mod to help the bike handle quicker for woods riding, and the DR still handles better in the woods.

How much money, time, patience, and mechanical aptitude do you have? The WR needs maintenance, more than your RT if you want it to last as long as you want. If you're mechanically inept or really impatient, don't buy this bike. If you want to put gas in it and go, think again (altough I'm sure some people haven't done much beyond oil changes and air filter with good success)

What other bikes have you considered and why?

Check out HGaither's post yesterday. "Wr 400 for sale" May be a better deal.

As the others have said, this is a big bike. Bigger is not always better. For what it's worth, I've never seen anyone your age riding this bike on the trails or on the track.

(Though, that may simply be because they are expensive.)

------------------

99WR,WR timing,throttle stop removed,Uni filter,E-Series pipe,carbon air box,Pro Tapers,lights removed,YZ tank,13 tooth sprocket

I have to agree with 100% with Mike. For what it is worth I haven't seen anyone your age riding or racing one in the wide open desert of Nevada either. Consider maybe a XR200 ride it for a couple of years and then move up.

I agree with mike as well. I ride a TTR250 and it is a great trail bike. With some jetting and a pipe, it can be a snappy little bike. The front suspension is set up for lighter riders like yourself. I am stepping up to a wr426 in april. I rode my friends wr400 and liked it very much. The suspension is stiff and I weigh 200 lbs with gear. The TTR is a little more nimble in tight trails than the wr becuase of the shorter wheel base. Nice soft seat too. I think the wr is a lot of bike.

Lets give the kid a little credit. Granted he's coming off a foofoo trail bike, but an XR200???? Like one of the above said, if you're riding wide open terrain, I think you're big enough to thoroughly enjoy a WR400. If you're back east or riding tighter trails out west, the WR is not the ideal bike. Look at a DRZ or XR (especially if you want maintenance free). A two-stroke 250 mx'er will also be a handful in the tight stuff w/o $$$$ mods.

It all depends on your capability level.

I wouldn't want to go up against Pastrana.

He probably would have kicked my ass even at age 12.

In competative sports, a 15 years old can be a dorky, spastic kid. Or... a 15 year old can be a young man with no fear, lightning quick reflexes, and lots of natural talent.

Which one are you?

To answer your original question, i just bought a 2000wr for $5,800 total cost. I don't think the bike will be too much for you, it's fairly tame and you can grow with it, and make mods as you gain skill. The other guys are right in the points they make, but none of us knows you and you're abilities. My buddy rides a YZ400 and is 5'8" and all of 160 lbs soaking wet. He is also thirty eight and has a lot slower reflexes than you have. Buy the bike, and have fun.

eric

Vandan,

If you can afford it, it is a good price. It is a heavy and tall bike. Starts good with the right procedure. Lots of power so expect to take a few hard falls. This is NOT an easy bike to learn on. Keep it in the wide open if you want to have fun.

James

Here's the fix. Buy WR400_Jay's '00 WR, it's a really nice bike, has all the cool goodies and he's selling it cheap.

Check out the post entitled "MIKE CARPENTER ie wr 400 for sale" on Nov 2, Give him a call, the bike is significantly better than new.

Hey Vandan...... Where do you live?

And are you a tough guy or a not so tough guy?

I'm not sure why we're bothering... he's already bought the bike.

Next question will be...... "are all 4-strokes impossible to start?"

IF he's a tough kid (mentally and physically) then he'll be fine after he figures out how to start it.

If not then he won't like it.

I say go for it. They'll all rip your head off anyway. I say go for the biggest baddest one you can handle. Just be careful starting it . . . My 426 broke my ankle when the kick starter snapped back so I'm surfin' the net for the next 4 weeks while my bike is gathering dust.