Sign in to follow this  

Vortex hurt engine?

I just got the vortex for my '01 yz250f and i love it. :) The performance just rips so hard up top. I was pulling wheelies up in 5th gear like nothing, it was awesome. :D:D I was on my uncles farm and did my longest wheelie ever...half a mile. I think im going to send it in and get torque or supercross instead of traction. Anyways, back to my original question. I was on my uncles farm that has very long and flat roads and it was revving really hard with 5th gear pinned. I didnt wanna hurt the motor so i didnt pin it too much at top speed. Since the vortex revs so hard up top can it hurt the motor? Also does the vortex on performance mode move the rev limiter back at all and is top speed higher than it would be with the stock ignition? And if you dont have the vortex by now, you gotta get one. Best mod ever. I was chucking rocks at my brother over 100 feet behind me. The difference is night and day. :D:D

Thanks

Grant

'01 yz250f vortex-performance and traction, white bros. r4, magura hydraulic clutch, talon sprockets 13 and 50t,DID gold chain, renthal bars, ceet gripper

Glad you like the Vortex...

I think there is nothing in the Vortex's realm of influence that could harm your bike, unless you wrote the second map into it that was so severly out timing-wise that you had knocking and predetonation...

There was a thread in the last week or so discussing the possibility of oil starvation on extended wheelstands, but not sure that was conclusive one way or the other...

David

The vortex shouldn't cause any direct problem on your bike, however keep in mind every time you increase the horsepower you are decreasing the engine life and engine reliability. Generally for a given capacity - the lower the horsepower, the longer the engine lasts, and the more reliable it is.... i.e look at an XR250 or especially a KLR250, the slower the bike the longer it lasts.... I've heard of KLR250's going up to 100,000 miles with no engine work.. try that on a WR250!

a formula 1 car for example runs maximum horse power for a very very low longevity and reliability ( I'd like to see one of those motors do 100,000 miles before any work!!)

so if you have done like I have done - increased horepower by 20% with an exhaust and vortex you have probably decreased engine life and reliability by a similar, but most likely greater percentage....