Tire Poll (For trail/enduro riding)

What are your favorite tires for trail/enduro use?  

588 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favorite tires for trail/enduro use?

• REAR Michelin S12
    • REAR Michelin M12
    • REAR Maxxis ST
    • REAR Maxxis IT
    • REAR Dunlop 739
    • REAR Dunlop 756
    • REAR Michelin Starcross
    • FRONT Michelin S12
    • FRONT Michelin M12
    • FRONT Maxxis ST
    • FRONT Maxxis IT
    • FRONT Dunlop 739
    • FRONT Dunlop 756
    • FRONT Michelin Starcross

I am in the market for new tires. I was reading the other thread and although there is a wealth of info, it is giving me a headache. I noted the tires everybody was referring to (I am no expert, so if I get something wrong please don't flame me), and made a poll. Please check only 2 boxes, one for the rear and one for the front.

I've never done a poll before, so please be patient if it doesn't work right away.

Edit: the poll can only have 15 entries, so I had to leave some out. If your favourite is not listed, please include it in a reply.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Michelin Starcross rear, Dunlop 756 front. I like the Starcross a lot, it hooks up awesome. It lasted oretty long for what it is. The 756 front I'm still not sure about. I've been running it for about a 1.5 yrs. It was a HUGE improvement over the 739 stock front but it still seems to wash out easier than I think it should. I'm also in the market for front and rear tires so this poll is a big help. I want to try spmething different. I'm inclined to go with a set of Michelin's because I was very impressed with the Stacross. I'm leaning towards the S12 front and rear, maybe it will last a little longer than the Starcross did. The Maxxis tires interest me also. I haven't heard enough about them to want to buy them yet though. They have a tire called the Surcross for soft terrain but I haven't read any comments about it yet. I really need a good set of all versitile tires. I ride in mixed terrain, but I lean towards a soft terrain tire becuase traction issues seem to be more important when you're in sand or mud.

I have a Millville rear on now and it was cheap and hooks up good. I haven't had it on long enough to see how long it will last. Someone posted the weight of three tires and the Millville was 2.5 lbs heavier than a Michelin and a Bridgestone was somewhere in between. This would explain why the Kenda was a biotch to put on. I will go with something lighter on my next tire. Moving that much extra weight is not good since I already have a heavy tube which weighs slightly over a pound more than the super thin stocker.

i bought Kenda Millvilles front and rear and i would not recommend them for off-road at all. They hook up alright and they are cheap, but the rears don't last long in anything harder than sand. i really like the way they hook-up, but i am not impressed by how long the knobbies are lasting. Has anyone had any experience with the Kenda carlsbad? it's supposed to be better on harder packed stuff.

s12 rear and m12 front works wonders for me. My tracks are normally a bit tacky (thin layer of mud) and after putting these tires on my bike rails the turns. I also do some tail riding (its mostly ridding where people take their trucks/quads mudding) and those tires do great there also.

Trelleborg Ten Master. Great off camber traction, rocks, mud, decent on hard pack. Wear like iron. You did say trail/enduro. They are not MX tires. They are a little heavier than the others which makes them more flat resistant. The only flat I ever had was a cut sidewall. Half of the enduro field I was racing got a flat in that section. I rode the remaining 50 or 60 miles on the flat. $90 down the drain!

I have been a huge fan of the Maxxis IT rear from the first time I ran one last June. They wear awesome and hook up very well. I have run 7-10 of these since last June and have only ever ripped lugs off of one of them and it was at very fast rocky race and even then it was just the corners of several of them. In my oppinion this is the only tire that I would recomend to anyone not knowing where they ride and how they ride. If you get this tire you will not be disapointed

• 2 weeks later...
I love the Maxis IT rear. Hooks up and wears great. Has anybody tried the Maxis front tires?

maxxis fronts are good until the sharp edge is gone. doesnt hook up real well after that. nuthin better than an IT rear though. ive heard the SI is agood front but havent tried one there not cheap either

Has anyone ever tried the Kenda Southwick? I'm in the Mojave (high desert). Has anyone tried different sizes like a 110? That is what I'm thinking of for more floatation on the sand and better grip. Anyone have anything that will make that idea sound great or stupid?

I tried a Maxxi HT rear and it didn't last long (four months with a flip over) but then again I spin the tire a lot. I just put on a Terra-Flex 110 (looks like a 130) and if it wears as good as it looks I will be hooked... up. Special rubber compounds, steel belted, knobs the size of Dolly Parton's.

• 4 weeks later...