Sign in to follow this  

CA Desert whats with all the Fly/bee things?

Went out to the Desert this weekend...OMG I have never seen soooo many swarming insects in my life! They looked like small bees, but didn’t sting. Anyone know what they are? :naughty:

I don't know what they are but I saw a bunch out at stoddard valley a week ago.

I noticed that too, i was out in stoddard valley and parked buy some green brush... they were everywhere... very annoying but they didnt seem to harm anything. They were yellow and look just a bit smaller then bee's, i dont know what they are... :naughty:

I believe they are called "sweat bees" and won't sting you. I've fought them on some rock climbs in Yosemite but they are pretty benign.

Beeflys.

They have a short window of opportunity to pollinate flowers and reproduce so they go bananas.

Keep them out of your mouth: they are full of sperm and eggs.

I have lived in the Mojave desert (Ridgecrest) since 1966 and have never seen as many of these insects as I have this year. I have scooped up pounds of them from the surgace of my pool. My buddy's car overheated and found a couple of inch layer of them covering the radiator.

These insects are call Hover flies, they mimic the appearance of a bee or wasp and are completely harmless. Here is a link to them:

http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_flies/CommonHover.htm

I hope they go away soon, I'm getting tired of cleaning them out of the pool.