HELP Killed my 4th Clutch in less than a Year

I know I know that could not be but the last 2 sets clutch plates last for less than 2 hours each.

Nobody can abuse a clutch so much to kill it in that time.

Everything is proper instaled and the correct Oil is in use too.

Not even two different MXY Dealers(Yamaha) can tell me whats going wrong.

The Clutch cover is that damn hot after 40 Minutes of riding an Enduro Track (Not an easy one) but with as little clutch use as posible.

After 3 sections of 35 to 40 minutes each with the same period of time with a break betwen i checked my clutch at home and it is again blue from the heat :naughty::naughty:

Anyone got an Idea what can go wrong with my YZ450F 2004 Model?

It not seem to be an mechanical Prob looks like an Oil circulation Prob for me :D:D

Would be very thankful for every Input wich can help to solf that mfgdsob Problem

Uwe

:D

I don't know of it being an issue with an '04, but the clutch operation of an '03 is sometimes helped by drilling additional oiling holes in the clutch inner hub. These holes allow oil from the end of the mainshaft to flow in between the clutch plates, and are already drilled between the splines of the hub. If they are only drilled in every 8th or tenth spline, you may want to add more. Drill the new holes the same size as the original ones, and in the same number for each row.

I do not think a defect is the cause - I have a buddy - rides a CRF - he also has the exact same issue - his is detonating his clutch because he rides his 450 like a 2stroke 250/125 - fanning the clutch in all tight areas/every corner sections - roosting everyone he passes by popping the clutch etc...no one likes for him to ride their bike as he is a clutch abuser - and you can tell after he rides your bike - your clutch slips :naughty:

Tell us more about this enduro course ...is it real tight? muddy? :D

There is a whole different way to ride a 4stroke - some people look at me as if I am crazy when I describe this....way too much rear wheel torque to control with the clutch at all times, unlike the 2 strokes...

I rarely use my clutch period! But you have to know how to properly "not use it" otherwise bigger issues will insue.... I wish someone "a Pro" would write a more detailed understanding to this :naughty:

Greyracer - is right you can drill more holes in your inner hub to increase oiling - I did this in my 03 - it does help - DRD can give you the instructions - I added more holes to what was already there in my hub - same size holes :D

I also would suggest that you purchase the strongest clutch you can buy - over here it is Hinson - basket, inner hub, pressure plate & plates - it is expensive but bullet proof! :D

Make sure your lever free play is correct (clutch doesn't slip when you're not pulling it). Also when you replace the clutch, make sure you're using new friction and metal plates, and springs. If your metal plates are glazed then the clutch will just slip and build up heat. Lastly, if you're slipping the clutch that much yourself, try shifting down a gear (if possible) and don't slip the clutch so much.

Is your clutch slipping in any way! For it to get that hot it would be slipping I had a auto clutch from EFM and it would do is that same thing :naughty:

I knew something wasnt set up right before I bought that from you, I got it set up and you couldnt have made that EFM slip if you wanted it to. It was bulletproof for me. In fact I have now moved to the Gen 3 Rekluse (more out of curiousity than need, as EFM was a fine auto too) and I am still using the same plates as I did in the EFM and since stock. :naughty:

Thx for all input so far Guys.

Well that Enduro course was a tight one but not muddy at all.

And I know that a thumper must be ridden different to a smoker.

I barely do not use the clutch on mine.

the springs are all measured before and was ok :naughty:

I always change both sort of Plates at a time.

Well that hole drilling is maybe a chance.

I`ll try that ?

If it fail is anybody willing to buy me a complete Hinson Setup for my Scoot and ship it to me?? I´ll pay that in advance via Paypal or CC of course.

Just make sure it is the Proper model for my YZ450F 2004 Model.

Oh and lever free play was way ok and i do not feel any slipping at al :D:naughty:

I need to solfe that Problem realy fast otherwise my Wife will kick my butt if I use all her household money for buying Clutch Plates :D:D

Thanks,

Uwe

Hinson wont sell internationally? Or is it a duty/tax?

Yes its a duty and tax issue and a currency exchange issue

Dollar - Euro is about 0.78-1

:naughty::D

So will see what my MX Dealer finds out.

Put it in the Shop yesterday evening after checking all I could and found out nothing :naughty:

Could maybe using a full syntetic Oil help at that problem??

It has to be slipping if you are creating that much heat and destroying that many cluthcs.

With gear I weigh over 400 pounds I rode my 426 on steep, muddy, singal track. All throughout the northwest mountains. I rode every weekend sometimes both sat and sunday. My clutch lasted 5 years and was still in spec when a plate broke.

Something is wrong and just up-gradeing parts is not going to hell the original problem at. It may make it last a little longer but the problem will still be there.

We had the same problem here in the netherlands (heavy sand conditions)

Now we use Complete Hinson,(housing, inner hub and pressure plate) synthetic oil shell advance, we changed the oil pump and the oil is now only into the motor case, also not into the frametube.(also be done by yamaha racing).

These parts/changes work well and we have no problems anymore.

A fact is that the rider must practice that he rides a 4 stroke and not a 2 stroke.

We had the same problem here in the netherlands (heavy sand conditions)

Now we use Complete Hinson,(housing, inner hub and pressure plate) synthetic oil shell advance, we changed the oil pump and the oil is now only into the motor case, also not into the frametube.(also be done by yamaha racing).

These parts/changes work well and we have no problems anymore.

A fact is that the rider must practice that he rides a 4 stroke and not a 2 stroke.

That sounds intresing.

Can you give me a contact adress or Tel# to contact these Guy`s?(Yamaha Racing)

How much did ya pay for it??

look on: www.yamaha-racingparts.com

In the picture from the set you see a smal little plate (thickness about 2mm)

This plate you will also find into the oil pump.

The difference is the oval opening into the middle.

Because when you disconnect the oil from the frame tube, you must take

out one of the gears from the oil pump (that one who pumps oil into the frametube) Thats why you must change the plate into the oil pump.

out one of the gears from the oil pump (that one who pumps oil into the frametube) Thats why you must change the plate into the oil pump.

Oki,

Thanks alot.

But Link does not work now.

Maybe they are offline now

Will try again later.

That is all to change??

Only switch this two Plates?

Thanks again for your Tips

:naughty::naughty:

that must be the Renaldi stuff they build for yamaha ----- I wish it was available here in the states - :naughty:

Ofcourse you must disconnect the frametube (each port)

It is possible that you change the plate into the oil pump by your self,

the only thing is that you must know the dimensions of the extra oval hole

into the plate.

If you want i can sent you a drawing in autocad from the hole.

Ofcourse you must disconnect the frametube (each port)

It is possible that you change the plate into the oil pump by your self,

the only thing is that you must know the dimensions of the extra oval hole

into the plate.

If you want i can sent you a drawing in autocad from the hole.

Wow yes that would be perfect.

I got the autocad program and can read both .dxf and .dwg

:naughty::naughty:

Site is online now and I checked it out.

says you need to order over your Local dealer, right?

How much is that plate?

Greez,

Uwe