E Base Gasket and Rings

I read a few posts on installing the base e gasket on my 04 S model.

Is it really necessory to install new piston rings to to do this mod?

Also,. which would be better, the OEM E base gasket or the after market Cometic gasket?

Thanks,

Dave

Well yes and no. It will run fine re-using the rings but the whole point of exchanging the S base gasket for the E gasket is for more compression. New rings give you the assurance that you will not be loosing any compression to re-used rings. As for the Cometic gasket, I have no experience with it but I'm sure it will be fine.

THE answer is yes,, Replace the rings..

Another answer is,, some have re used rings,, and the sky is still in place, the sun comes up every day,, the chickens are still laying eggs..... :naughty:

Three things guide ring replacement when they are out of the bore.

O They are easily damaged... So why take a chance with used ones

O They can and do develop micro cracks when they go from a tensioned state (installed) to expanded (out of the bore) and back to a tensioned state.. this can cause failure. ... So why take a chance with used ones

O They rings can have sealing issues, due to it not going back in the same position/orientation as when it was removed. ... So why take a chance with used ones

I replace when they come out…

Also,. which would be better, the OEM E base gasket or the after market Cometic gasket?

Thanks,

Dave

An excellent choice in gaskets,, Top quality,, and available from our very own TT store :naughty:

Thanks for the info guys,. I really apreaciate it! As far as the rings go,.. I looked on the tt store but couldn't find anything,.. Any recommendations?

Dave

Thanks for the info guys,. I really apreaciate it! As far as the rings go,.. I looked on the tt store but couldn't find anything,.. Any recommendations?

Dave

OEM rings are a dealer item.. Try Ronayers.com

Does anybody have the part numbers for the E Base gasket?

Is the head gasket reusable? If not what's the part number for that?

Is there a gasket kit availailable (Ronayer?) that includes both?

Thank you...that was quick!

Steve Viertell, Chico Ca

01 Concours, "Smurfie", 03 Dr-Z400, "Baby Smurf"

COG 4274, IBA 6049, WA6ZGK

www.viertell.com