Sign in to follow this  

extra clutch plate + 450 springs.

ive ordered a few parts from my local honda and the clutch was the first thing i wanted to get sorted.

ive heard this extra steel is working good for guys with R's but i cant see if anyones running the 250/450f springs with this setup . i ordered them too . i want no possiblility of this thing slipping like it has been for 4 or so rides.

but am i asking for trouble putting these 2 together? im not going to have to lift weights to build up my clutch arm am i lol?

also i bought a 12 tooth front to compensate for the 52 rear i bought and didnt like on my local track . this should give me a 49 right?

I had the 450 springs in and it was the first time in a long time that i got arm pump.I took them out .Then i ran 05 springs and worked out great.Then i got from rocky mountian MC a clutch kit called Tusk.Frictions metals and heavy duty springs/EBC.35.00 for all.Has been working great ,have them in for 5 rides now and just finished a race weekend.No problems.

You should have went to a 14T front, not a 12 if you didn't like the 52 rear.

14/52= 3.71

13/49= 3.77

13/52= 4.00

12/52= 4.33

It's easy to figure out the ratio, just divide the rear by the front sprocket.

The extra steel in the R clutch is definitely a cheap (and effective) fix! I am using stock clutch springs still and no issues with slippage, even pulling my 200lb butt up "horsepower hill" and some ultra tacky dirt, no problems...I have a complete OEM clutch ready to drop in at a moments notice, but no need to yet... :naughty:

Were did you slip the extra plate inside, outside, middle? I also heard another trick to just put in 3 450 springs...Plus I have 5 250 springs ready to compare to the pro circuit ones i already have

haha whoops on the sprocket , owell fronts r cheap atleast . ive got EBCs in there atm and they were good for bout and hour but ill measure them against my stock set once i put this new steel plate in . hopefully this wont mean im hitting the rev limiter before the end of straights anymore :naughty:

Were did you slip the extra plate inside, outside, middle? I also heard another trick to just put in 3 450 springs...Plus I have 5 250 springs ready to compare to the pro circuit ones i already have

Stick it in the middle of the stack. It provides the same benefit as slightly stiffer springs BUT it also increases the pack thickness which allows for a wider range of wear before slippage occurrs.

haha whoops on the sprocket , owell fronts r cheap atleast . ive got EBCs in there atm and they were good for bout and hour but ill measure them against my stock set once i put this new steel plate in . hopefully this wont mean im hitting the rev limiter before the end of straights anymore :naughty:

I chewed up my OEM basket and replaced with a Hinson. I went with the EBC HD springs and honestly, I don't like them at all. Clutch pull is way harder than stock springs. On a brighter note, the clutch is performing flawlessly. No slippage at all.

well in the space of 2 rides my baskets gone from slightly bumpy to absolutely notched ( about 1mm deep) on each finger , guess ill be ordering me a hinson basket very soon , how could this happen so fast? the clutch slipping can do this much damage in such a sort amount of time? how long do inner hubs last ? this was slightly bumpy when i inspected it all today . took it out for a ride today with 450 springs still slipping like mad , didnt have the extra steel in as they ordered me a 450 steel also :naughty: .

from now on im just gunna give them part numbers to order , im sick of waiting 2 or 3 times more because they continue to order wrong parts.

well in the space of 2 rides my baskets gone from slightly bumpy to absolutely notched ( about 1mm deep) on each finger , guess ill be ordering me a hinson basket very soon , how could this happen so fast? the clutch slipping can do this much damage in such a sort amount of time? how long do inner hubs last ? this was slightly bumpy when i inspected it all today . took it out for a ride today with 450 springs still slipping like mad , didnt have the extra steel in as they ordered me a 450 steel also :naughty: .

from now on im just gunna give them part numbers to order , im sick of waiting 2 or 3 times more because they continue to order wrong parts.

Definitely give them part numbers or you'll end up sending stuff back and waiting longer. The TT store sells OEM parts too so you might consider that?

I noticed my bike wanted to "creep" more and more so finally I pulled the clutch apart and my basket was toast as well. I went with the Hinson basket and OEM everything else. I would have loved to go with a Hinson inner hub but it's like $250.00 whereas the OEM inner hub was around $45.00.

If you don't mind spending the cash, go with the Hinson basket, inner hub and pressure plate.

so, i just want to get this right in my head before i order one.... when you add the extra steel plate, it will be steel to steel...... is that not a problem, and opposed to the normal of steel,friction, etc? thanks !!

so, i just want to get this right in my head before i order one.... when you add the extra steel plate, it will be steel to steel...... is that not a problem, and opposed to the normal of steel,friction, etc? thanks !!

That is right. In the middle of the stack, steel to steel. Change the oil every 2-3 rides or 3-5 hours. Use 850cc of your favorite oil. Enjoy.

thanks therapture... i will gove it a shot and see how it works.... i am in the middle of doing the top end, and new clutch springs, so i will do it all at once, then she should rip again !!

thanks therapture... i will gove it a shot and see how it works.... i am in the middle of doing the top end, and new clutch springs, so i will do it all at once, then she should rip again !!

How many hours do you have on the stock clutch springs? At about 35 hours mine were under minimum length, but no slippage! To me that is a testament to the extra plate theory. I replaced them anyway with new OEM springs. They are cheap. Consider dropping some new springs in too for good measure! :D

yeah, i have about 105 hours all stock before i took it apart. i do not race at all, all we have here are logging roads and such. i havent measured the springs yet, but i plan to this weekend, while its all apart. i havent noticed any slippage, but i want to replace the springs and add the extra plate anyways..... thanks for the info !!

I noticed something kinda weird loading my bike up last night. There is a bit of "drag" when I pull in the clutch and roll the bike when the engine isn't running and it's in gear. Sometimes I'm too lazy to put it in nuetral when I park it, so if I roll it across the garage tp get it out the next day I'll just pull in the clutch.

I tried adjusting the lever and clutch cable both with no improvement. On the track, I often have difficulty with it shifting up a gear and sometimes it seems to slip into nuetral, but I just wrote it off as my inexperience. I feather the clutch ALOT, but it's only got 8 hrs on it.

Is this non running "drag" normal? Or the sign of some sort of clutch wear? :D

Is this non running "drag" normal? Or the sign of some sort of clutch wear? :D

Completely normal.