Sign in to follow this  

Tire Irons

Do I need 1 or 2 tire irons to change a tire? This will be my first attempt and I want to make sure to order everything I need to minimize my shipping costs. I've read the threads on changing tires, but I'm not sure if I need more than one or not.

Also, what do y'all use for rim protectors?

Thanks,

Jeremiah

You'll need two but three makes it a little easier for finishing the last little bit when puting the tire back on and I don't use anything to protect the rims. I have 2 8" packable irons that are in my fender pack and one 18" that I use when changing tires at home. I like the 18" for taking the tire off of the rim and finishing the last part of the bead when installing the tire. Make sure you use lots of lube. I use Windex but many people use WD40, dish soap and water, hair conditioner, etc etc etc. These are the two I carry in my fender pack and they are hell for stout. http://www.rockymountainmc.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00069592

If you really wanna do it right, get 2 of these: http://www.rockymountainmc.com/Product_Details.atv?pid=00028062 , some 409 or anything else that could be used as a lubricant, some baby powder (when my dad taught me how to change a tire, he told me to put some baby powder on the tube before putting it in), and a little bit of patience. Once you get it down, it's not too bad...

i'd get two. the second comes in handy when you first start working the first 12" or so of bead over the rim. you use one to lift new rubber over the rim, while the other keeps the rubber from slipping off and back into the rim. you can use a screw driver or a wrench or something, but two irons is best.

i figure its a dirt bike and scratches are part of the game, no need to protect the rim

2 tire irons, 3 works even better.I use a little cheep one to hold the tire on the rim and the other 2 to work tire on the rim.good luck

2 or 3 is what I was told I got 2 and then used a screwdriver or two. 3 if you don't want to use a screw driver or you have a lot of patience or experience changing tires.

Don't forget a bead buddy. Don't get the $22 one from motion pro, get the tusk version for $9. It's the same thing. I wish Tusk was around a long time ago.

Don't forget a bead buddy. Don't get the $22 one from motion pro, get the tusk version for $9. It's the same thing. I wish Tusk was around a long time ago.

Neville,

What's a bead buddy? I've looked for it on a number of websites, and found one...however there was no picture or description. Is it something to help break the bead, or what?!?! Any websites?

Thanks for your help.

anytime i take a tire off I use two screwdrivers. whats a tire iron?

Here you go. Basically, it makes the tire stay put without popping back up. It takes the place of another person helping you. Like I said, get the Tusk version.

MP_Bead_Buddy.jpg

Here you go. Basically, it makes the tire stay put without popping back up. It takes the place of another person helping you. Like I said, get the Tusk version.

MP_Bead_Buddy.jpg

Thanks Neville. I was just thinking about using some C-clamps, but that looks interesting.

Place the tire and rim on the floor when changing the tire and use your knees to keep the bead in the center of the rim. It's how you'll do it on the trail so you might as well practice at home. Tip: Wear your knee guards.