Sign in to follow this  

Weird valve noise

ok so its my first time checking the valves and probably gunna have to shim aswell for the exhausts , but i noticed some really weird noises when turning over the bike with the valve cover off. firstly one sounds like a gurgling noise (like blowing bubbles into cup through a straw) , second one sounds like an air leak some stage as i kick it over.

im just a tad nervous/paranoid about whatever noise i hear coming from this bike lol. also what jets do u recommend i get for 0 - 500ft altitude , all stock 04 R.

heres the readings i got , what looks like it needs a shim?

r exhaust - 0.010

l exhaust - 0.011

r intake - 0.005

l intake - 0.005

i wasnt too sure on the exhaust readings , is the feeler mean to slide in freely straight away? or do u slip it under first then feel how tight it is? the shim kept hitting it when i tried to slip it under , but they were able to move once under

ok so its my first time checking the valves and probably gunna have to shim aswell for the exhausts , but i noticed some really weird noises when turning over the bike with the valve cover off. firstly one sounds like a gurgling noise (like blowing bubbles into cup through a straw) , second one sounds like an air leak some stage as i kick it over.

All the graphic oil and air pumping sounds are normal, no problems.

heres the readings i got , what looks like it needs a shim?

r exhaust - 0.010

l exhaust - 0.011

r intake - 0.005

l intake - 0.005

The spec range for intakes is 0.004" - 0.006" and for intakes it's 0.010" - 0.012". All your measurements are in specification, so don't shim anything. Just keep checking them regularly and shim when anything moves out of spec range.

i wasnt too sure on the exhaust readings , is the feeler mean to slide in freely straight away? or do u slip it under first then feel how tight it is? the shim kept hitting it when i tried to slip it under , but they were able to move once under

Using feeler gauges is really an exercise in judgement; I like to feel slight resistance as the gauge slides between the two parts.

I agree with skipn8r, everything looks good. Keep checking the valves regularly and the bike should be good to go for a while.