Tried to buy a DRZ400S this weekend...

One dealer had helpful sales staff that wanted to sell me a bike, but they had none on the floor or in the back. They did show me a new black DRZ400SM that they had just assembled. That looked sweet, but I really want the S version.

The other dealer had one and didn't seem to want to sell it to me. They ignored me for a half hour. I eventually asked what they wanted for it, and the guy read the MSRP from a sheet and turned to do something else. Oh, I was the only guy in the shop at the time. LOL

Oh well... I guess I waited too long and now the weather if nice and people are buying them. It looks like I'll just keep having fun on my DR200SE until the dealers are ready to move them again. :naughty:

DAMN when I go to the dealers here they try to sell anything to me!

I don't know what Nevada laws are like but I'd call around, other states if necessary, till I found one and buy it

I guess fall and winter are better times to get good deals on bikes. That was the main reason I got my DRZ last fall instead of waiting for the 2005 to come out in the spring.

I don't know what Nevada laws are like but I'd call around, other states if necessary, till I found one and buy it

I'd do that if I had nothing else to ride. As it is, it's not worth the effort for me to go hunting in other states. The one exception would be CA since I drive into LA fairly often. The only reason I don't do that is all the extra CA emissions stuff. :naughty:

Even if one turned up at a decent dealer now, I'm sure they won't work with me on price given the current demand. I'll have much better luck when the weather gets cool again.

DAMN when I go to the dealers here they try to sell anything to me!

I know... that was the funniest part to me. Usually the sales staff descends upon me like locusts when I'm just looking around. I came in ready to buy and they ignored me. I guess that explains why they had one on the lot. LOL

I havent been much help on here so far, so maybe I can give you some insight.

I was a salesman at a Zook dealer in Tenn, with tooooonnnns of dual sport areas to ride, and we couldnt give the S models away. Sounds like the salesman was just burned out from all the "Be backers", or people who waste his time and dont buy sh--! Call and ask for the sales manager. If you make an appointment, keep the appointment, he will think you are serious. The first of the week is better if your schedule permits, (not the weekend) around early afternoon, after lunch he is full and happy.Take your checkbook(cash is better-he wont want to let you leave with it).

They have to pay a fee for every bike on the showroom until it sells, and there is not a high profit margin on those bikes, so the quicker they sell it, the better off . Go straight to the sales manager, tell him about the lazy sales staff, and tell him if he will cut out the salesman commission(usually around 7% of the deal) sometimes less-and say I am ready to take it home today, what can you do for me. If he hits you with MSRP,plus tax fees etc.-dont get mad and leave. Counter offer- 500.00 over cost is fair. Freight and set up for an S are around 250.00 or more, depending on dealer volume. The service dept usually bills the sales dept for the time it takes the tech to assemble it. If you are determined, and keep your pride and emotions in check, it will be a pleasant exchange, and you'll get the bike you want and they will make a little money. Contact me for more tips!!!!!!! :naughty:

As a former LV, NV resident I can tell you that it is well worth your time to try to get one in the LA area. Problem with Vegas(for cars & bikes) is that there aren't enough dealers, of the various makes, to provide enough competition for sales. When I lived there(mid 90s) I had several friends who bought cars & bikes in S.CA & Utah and saved as much as $5000(on a $22k car). I did that when I bought my BMW R850R in 95'. The local BMW shop acted like they didn't care if I was a customer or not. A couple of calls(to S.CA) later I lined up a sale in San Bernardino that saved me over a grand. That was a few years ago, but the situation seems to be effect still. There are a couple of S.CA dealers advertising in the N.CA Cycle trader who are selling DRZ's for $1k+ off retail.

I agree with P7HVN. I too am in Las Vegas and considering the DRZ400S. I've been to all 3 dealerships and the only one that would talk to me didn't have one on the floor. I bought a new truck a little over a year ago and ended up going to Arizona to buy because of high doc fees, VIN etching fees, etc that all of the dealers here seemed to want to charge. I just bought an ST1300 a few months ago and I ended up going to Utah for that one (nobody in Vegas had one). Even if there was one in Vegas, I'm sure I still would have gone to Utah as one dealership wanted over $600 for setup, etc. I would love to buy here as it would be so much more convenient. Hell, I'd even be willing to pay a couple hundred bucks more to buy in Las Vegas, but when I'm looking at saving $500 - $800 for a quick trip to CA or UT or AZ, I'm gonna take a road trip. Good luck...I'd love to here the results of your next trip.

Paul

If you guys are in Vegas, go with the E. You will get a better bike, and you can make it street legal. Don't go to California and get an E, because it is really an S. I registered my E in Vegas, and it was no problem. Definitely check into the E before you buy an S. You will be glad you did.

If you guys are in Vegas, go with the E. You will get a better bike, and you can make it street legal. Don't go to California and get an E, because it is really an S. I registered my E in Vegas, and it was no problem. Definitely check into the E before you buy an S. You will be glad you did.

Thanks, I'll definately look into that. I just have to decide if it's worth the cost of a dual-sport kit and a set of DOT tires (I do plan on it being a 50/50 bike with some freeway time).

Does anyone know if there is any gearing differences between the S and the E? I'd hate to find out that the E has a closer ratio gearbox than the S. :naughty:

I guess if I'm going to do that, I should also look into other bikes in that size/class as well.

Thanks for all the dealer advice, guys. Maybe I need to take a hard look at Arizona dealers since CA seems to handicap their vehicles with extra emmisions garbage. :naughty:

CA bikes have their problems, I was thinking of AZ, UT, NM and TX, I mean it's not THAT far to El Paso, if you are getting a bike. Gas is high but saving a $K would still be worth it.

CA bikes have their problems, I was thinking of AZ, UT, NM and TX, I mean it's not THAT far to El Paso, if you are getting a bike. Gas is high but saving a $K would still be worth it.

Definately. If I could get the bike and save a $1k in the process, then it would be worth it. I do own a truck, so that's not a problem. :naughty:

I just bought a DRZ400S last Tuesday here in Boise and the guys at Carls Cycle ( www.carlscycles.com) were super helpfull... I made up my mind last Monday night went in Tuesday morning for 15 minutes rode my new bike home Wednesday at noon. They had both colors ( I got blue) and had more in stock and I got it for a few hundred under MSRP without even having to haggle. I don't know where you are in NV but I may be worth your time to drive up here or better yet.... Buy one over the phone, fly up, then drive it home...

I just bought a DRZ400S last Tuesday here in Boise and the guys at Carls Cycle ( www.carlscycles.com) were super helpfull... I made up my mind last Monday night went in Tuesday morning for 15 minutes rode my new bike home Wednesday at noon. They had both colors ( I got blue) and had more in stock and I got it for a few hundred under MSRP without even having to haggle. I don't know where you are in NV but I may be worth your time to drive up here or better yet.... Buy one over the phone, fly up, then drive it home...

Congratulations on your purchase!! :D:D

Of course we ALL know that the blue ones are FASTER! :naughty::naughty:

Welcome to TT :D

Can you give us the Reader's Digest version of what you had to do to register an E in Vegas? What the requirements are, or where I can look that stuff up?

Thanks!

I added the Baja Designs dual sport kit. I added the reflectors, and mirrors. Then I went to the DMV, and they gave me an inspection form. I took that to the Suzuki dealer down the road from the dmv, and he checks the bike over, and signs off on everything. I took the form back to the dmv, and went through the inspection guys in the back. They compared the vin numbers with the paperwork. I went back inside, waited in line for half a day, paid my money and they gave me my plate. The only problem I almost had was that your brake light is suppose to be operated by the front and back brake lever. I got away with it, but you might want to rig up some kind of simple temporary switch for the front brake just in case.

I agree with Weee, if you can, get the E. If I had to do it again, I would get the E. I was told that in Parker or Havasue city AZ, there is a place that gives greats deals on dirt bikes. You may have to show proof of sales tax if you register it in NV though, but no worse than buying it local. Also, There is a salesman named Art and Motorcycle City who is a good guy. Usual sales tatics, but still a good guy. They sell Kawa and Honda though, Not Suzuki.

Good luck.

There is another thread somewhere on buying tips and invoice prices. If you search you can find it.

Ride safe. A freind of mine was riding his bicycle yesterday and got hit by a car and has a broken and now pinned hip after surgury. Driver said he did not even see him and just about ran over him after he was down. Riding on the streets in vegas is risky.

Ride safe. A freind of mine was riding his bicycle yesterday and got hit by a car and has a broken and now pinned hip after surgury. Driver said he did not even see him and just about ran over him after he was down. Riding on the streets in vegas is risky.

That's why I prefer motors on my bikes... so I can outrun the cars. :naughty:

Seriously, I hope you friend heals up well, and soon. :naughty: